Old S Bound series

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Old S Bound series

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:35 pm

MikeK wrote:XCD-GT to Eon. Tons of variations too. I think the oldest ones were more like a Glittertind or old E99.
Even narrower than both of those actually! More like the E89...
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:36 pm

Oh... didn't even know about those ones! Ha!

Man... times have change ;)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:16 am

Lot's of interesting tidbits on the Boundless here, in comparison with Karhu's XCD lineup:

http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/fis ... ice.40270/

I'm getting stoked!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:09 am

Did you find a pair?

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:27 am

Woodserson wrote:Did you find a pair?
Still working on it! Not easy considering my impression that they were never sold new in Québec. Besides, they might not even be for this year considering the foul weather we are also getting up here.

paulk

Post by paulk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:53 pm

My S-Bound Outtabounds from 2010ish (with the textured top sheet) are VERY stiff and practically double camber. They will NEVER invert. I like to tour with heavy loads in deep snow on these. They will always give me good glide wearing double Alico's and a full pack.

To the contrary, my Snowbounds are smooth and soft and will very easily flatten out and go inverted; they are from 2006. I like to do turns with these. I keep my Voile HD Mountaineer 3-pin bindings with the option of cables on these.

I've wondered, why the disparity in performance between the two in the same series? I wonder if Fischer had this all thought out and made the Outtabound stiffer for long heavy tours.

I love the old S-Bound Fischers because of their FULL sintered bases, and the negative kick pattern means nothing to me. I like kick wax, I like it along the whole ski length oftentimes. I can climb with ease when I wax well. At the end of the day I like more grippage than slippage, so I wax. More people should wax for conditions and drop the marketing mumbo jumbo that a fishscale pattern is valhalla. Try fish scales on ICY trails and then try properly waxed skis. No wonder why so few people develop a lifelong love of Nordic touring, because they are led down the dead end road that fish scales are valhalla, like cheap polyethylene canoes are indestructible and valhalla.

In the right hands the "old" S bounds are GREAT skis, made in AUSTRIA.
Last edited by paulk on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:17 pm

paulk wrote:More people should wax for conditions and drop the marketing mumbo jumbo that a fishscale pattern is valhalla.
WAX ATTACK! Love it.

My old karhu 10th mountains tours seem quite similar to those Outtabounds of yours. I love them too.

paulk

Post by paulk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 pm

bgregoire wrote:
paulk wrote:More people should wax for conditions and drop the marketing mumbo jumbo that a fishscale pattern is valhalla.
WAX ATTACK! Love it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: We were on icy trails yesterday. My wife and daughter were nearly immobile with waxless skis. I reached into my pocket and applied heavy Blue Extra to their tips and tails, then I applied Red Silver directly to their positive scales. Now their poly bases will not hold wax forever. But...we skied a nice long day at Garnet Hill in the Adirondacks with smiles. I can't help but think about how poorly everyone's waxless skis performed who know nothing of the advantages of wax.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:02 pm

paulk wrote:We were on icy trails yesterday. My wife and daughter were nearly immobile with waxless skis. I reached into my pocket and applied heavy Blue Extra to their tips and tails, then I applied Red Silver directly to their positive scales. Now their poly bases will not hold wax forever. But...we skied a nice long day at Garnet Hill in the Adirondacks with smiles. I can't help but think about how poorly everyone's waxless skis performed who know nothing of the advantages of wax.
Paul I was with you right up to the Red/Silver part! Yuck! that stuff is like the bathtub stain in Dr. Seuss that could not be removed :o
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:20 pm

paulk wrote:I love the old S-Bound Fischers because of their FULL sintered bases, and the negative kick pattern means nothing to me. I like kick wax...
Paul are your S-Bounds waxable (tour) or are you waxing over you negative kick "scales"?
Last edited by bgregoire on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.