Old S Bound series

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
paulk

Re: Old S Bound series

Post by paulk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
paulk wrote:We were on icy trails yesterday. My wife and daughter were nearly immobile with waxless skis. I reached into my pocket and applied heavy Blue Extra to their tips and tails, then I applied Red Silver directly to their positive scales. Now their poly bases will not hold wax forever. But...we skied a nice long day at Garnet Hill in the Adirondacks with smiles. I can't help but think about how poorly everyone's waxless skis performed who know nothing of the advantages of wax.
Paul I was with you right up to the Red/Silver part! Yuck! that stuff is like the bathtub stain in Dr. Seuss that could not be removed :o

I know what you mean, Red Silver is soft stuff. I just checked, almost all of it is gone from their kick zones, while 50% of the Blue Extra is still hanging in there. It was the thing to do at the time, since it was nearly bare ice under the many sections of evergreen trees. It saved the day, thank you Swix!
Last edited by paulk on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulk

Post by paulk » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:34 pm

bgregoire wrote:
paulk wrote:I love the old S-Bound Fischers because of their FULL sintered bases, and the negative kick pattern means nothing to me. I like kick wax...
Paul are your S-Bounds waxless or are you waxing over you negative kick "scales"?

S-bounds are both waxless, yes, with negative scales machined into 100% sintered bases. I don't often wax over the scales, pretty much always the tips and tails. But if I want kick and nothing less than kick, I unhesitatingly wax the negative kick scales. Clean them later? Sometimes :roll:

Like I said, I will always lean toward more grippage than slippage. Speed is not all important to me, but transfer of energy is.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:35 am

With you P.....really like the red for some conditions.....Was heading out yesterday and had some leftover red on....Bout 5o so it should have been horrible but on total crust, icy crust....no problem as the gliders were free to do their thing.....Went up a bit then down and the red was gone....Skidded across a pond and re waxed......Green over half the ski and blue under foot.....Got to Telecamp a forlorn tarp looking very cold and the floor was two inches of thick ice.....Headed back out and by the time I got to the pond after a few hundred verticals of ice....crust and a hint of some softness on a certain tilt...re waxed with blue as the temp came up....Love wax.....Best I've seen of red was Telekid heading up into the Highlands.....Poles in his right hand.....beer in the left.....striding easily up while the rest of us were slipping a bit on bones.....Like you hinted no slip id the best kind of going....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:17 pm

OK, I won't throw it away! Maybe the reds are better on icy snow. On softer, new snow in the 30's it felt like I had skins on while going down hills. I think you keep it away from any kind of new snow. Wet snow, ice, etc….OK.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:50 am

Last week up on Little mountain, started down with red on a couple inches of powder....stop....had to find some ice...not difficult....up and down a few times and the red was gone....Last year it was green and polar for 13 weeks straight....What a difference....Good ski a couple of days back bout 2 miles in....great shadows some big seed trees....Saw some fischer tracks right up to camp.....Telecamp looked forlorn....just waiting for us to come but yesterdays visit was the first in a couple of months....Skiing out was fun with some long low angle rides....Skis worked well....109's are rocking....turn on a dime and are a fast ski....Keep listening to lc on the new 109's but do not want any more S bounds....at this time....some of the Boys and I are heading to skinnier for "Ride the rail" experiences....Got some decent shots of the boys at long range a few weeks back.....dimly remember that we did have 6-8 inches powder back then....Double camber has been helpful on crossing ice and water....TM

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Teleman wrote:Last week up on Little mountain, started down with red on a couple inches of powder....stop....had to find some ice...not difficult....up and down a few times and the red was gone....Last year it was green and polar for 13 weeks straight....What a difference....Good ski a couple of days back bout 2 miles in....great shadows some big seed trees....Saw some fischer tracks right up to camp.....Telecamp looked forlorn....just waiting for us to come but yesterdays visit was the first in a couple of months....Skiing out was fun with some long low angle rides....Skis worked well....109's are rocking....turn on a dime and are a fast ski....Keep listening to lc on the new 109's but do not want any more S bounds....at this time....some of the Boys and I are heading to skinnier for "Ride the rail" experiences....Got some decent shots of the boys at long range a few weeks back.....dimly remember that we did have 6-8 inches powder back then....Double camber has been helpful on crossing ice and water....TM
Sure miss your photos Tman, any chance you can share some more with us?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:29 am

Easily done....put Ron on a picture thread and voila done....Don't hold your breath though.....It's the chicken and egg kind of thing....Mike usually gets Ron worked up.....then gets him banned....end of pictures.....Oh well....Did get some decent pictures yesterday.....Skiing on about 5 inches of glacier with a Slurpee on top....the top of the mush crush....was an integrated locked up thin crust.....Man the 109's handled that stuff well....Had to put all kinds of weight on the front ski then the miracle would happen time after time.....locked into the ":stuff" they came around beautifully and they had to because the snow was fast and the skis faster.....Fast unweigh ride the next long arc through the openings.....Damn good ski for lousy conditions.....pretty funny last night...Had a couple of brews.....tried to send Ron @ 30 pictures.....uh think I wiped them out.....boys will be pissed....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:48 am

Hahahahahaha.... so it's my fault Ron get's worked up huh?

PS Teleman, I can ban him here. So why would I even bother to work him up? I'd just cut to the chase.

You know how to get pictures without Ron, I'm not going through this argument again.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:15 am

Probably could....but....Ron does good work with them.....Thinkin you were a bit sensitive.....especially since your THE BAN MAN.....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:25 am

I might be the "ban man", but you are certainly not the "reading comprehension man". :mrgreen: ;)

And don't say I didn't warn you, but if you get the boot, it might not be from me... hey, maybe we can make con-man a mod and let him decide your fate! :twisted: