Of boots and such...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Of boots and such...

Post by Woodserson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:01 pm

bgregoire wrote: Geez, you guyz did not get dumped on yesterday? :mrgreen:
Yeah, big dump! A big dump of steaming horseshit!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:16 pm

We got some pow...

like 1/4" of dust yesterday and a 1/4" last night. It melted as soon as I looked at it.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:26 pm

MikeK wrote:We got some pow...

like 1/4" of dust yesterday and a 1/4" last night. It melted as soon as I looked at it.
Man, twas more than a foot here. Good to go for the next few days.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:40 am

For me, these things seemed to have come full circle. Start on light gear and struggle, be it MTB or tele, crave more action and start lusting after bigger and higher-performance (DH MTB or heavy tele) gear, gain experience/confidence at high-speed/high consequence. Once experience and confidence are gained, start thinking about how to make things more challenging so move on to (back to) rigid MTB/lite tele/XCD gear.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:53 am

Yeah it didn't take me long to go back to a rigid MTB. I recall back in the day, when I was in a lot better shape getting absolutely pounded on my rigid bike and lusting for suspension, lighter weight frames and more gears.

Took me less than a month of local riding to get rid of 30 gears, then to 20, then to 10. About another month to start riding rigid again, and on the right trails, absolutely LOVE it... on some, it's just brutal. I honestly have no interest in a FS bike. I wouldn't give up the hardtail though.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:20 pm

1. Take anyone who has been skiing pins and leathers for years and put them on plastic boots and they will go crazy, jumping all around and carving like crazy.

2. Now take any Level III Telemark Instructor and put him on a pair of floppy leathers. He won't even be able to go down a flat green run. He will take his skis off and walk down on the side of the trail.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Johnny, my guess is that you learned on heavier gear before going xcd, but I may be wrong.

I agree with your #2 above that until you figure out what's going on below your knees your, skis are actually taking you for a ride and you are just trying to keep up.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:30 pm

Well I don't know that either technology will "make one a better skier"…

(It seems that it is my fate in my life to eternally sound like a “broken record”- I know that it annoys my students and my children (and probably my wife who is too patient to tell me so!))

What kind of skier? What kind of skiing are we talking about?

I can assume that you mean “downhill” skier and “downhill skiing”?

Downhill skiing on XC tech ain’t the same thing as downhill skiing on rigid powerful downhill tech. It just isn’t.

With a rigid, powerful boot you can force a ski to do what you want it to- try that with XC “shoes”, and the ski will just not respond- simple physics!

The physical power of rigid plastic downhill boots allows a skier to take downhill skiing to the extremes of performance- that’s why world-class downhill racers aren’t using XCD tech and techniques!

But “downhill” tech ain’t desgined to xcountry ski. You ain’t gonna kick-and-glide-fly in plastic boots man.

Focusing on “XCD” in a classical sense (i.e. downhill skiing with XC tech) hasn’t made me a “better” skier- it has made me a different skier. And it has enabled me to take my XC equipment into the mountains. It has enabled me to kick-glide-fly on the flats, scoot up slopes, and then rip down slopes on the backside. Am I going to win a world cup race, or end up on the cover of a ski magazine? Fuck no.

Here’s the broken record again:
Downhill skiing on XC tech does not rely on the same technique as downhill skiing on “downhill” tech.

To me it’s like comparing “apples to oranges”.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Harris

Post by Harris » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:20 pm

I would actually say that with the old early 80's all-leather Asolo Extremes, and the later 80's half leather/upper plastic cuff Merril Supercomps I could turn the skis much quicker and with more precision (and with gobs more style) on groomed slopes and even in zipper-line moguls than I can in any plastic version, including my Scarpa TX Pro NTN. The biggest difference is stability when the slope is less than stellar (i.e. crud, Sierra cement, ice, etc); plastic rules as far as crappy conditions go. And then there is the muscle factor; leather requires a lot more ball of foot weighting and angulation to ski the skis well, which is also why when done well it is far prettier a turn. IMO. Frankly if they brought back a like-version of the Supercomp that could be cable bindinged I'd buy a pair just to tear it up on the great resort skiing days. They were a blast, and I can assure you I'd make 90% of tele markers on new gear on even the steepest and bumped slopes look ugly, but I'd be dying in the knees doing it. IMO.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:20 am

Harris wrote:They were a blast, and I can assure you I'd make 90% of tele markers on new gear on even the steepest and bumped slopes look ugly, but I'd be dying in the knees doing it.
Harris, welcome!

Please get yourself a pair of these and show us how it is done!
400.jpg
http://andrewshoes.com/prodotti/it/telemark/174/
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM