Of boots and such...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Re: Of boots and such...

Post by Harris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Okay, since someone is making a point to call the new guy out... I'm not the Seattle dude Mike is thinking of. I'm new this year to the Seattle area just as I am to this forum. I don't know who that guy is. I grew up in Steamboat. Started telemarking there as a 14 year old in 1983 who luckily went to a school where we could ski daily. At the time Steamboat was hardly an epicenter in the sport. At best you might see another telemarker on the mountain. I had to teach myself. And I did so by envisioning what telemarking might be. And I dream big. I was a die hard and eventually ended up in Crested Butte. Left skiing for many years because of severe knee issues. Left Crested Butte in 1987. That all said is not meant to be a boast but a statement of fact. I left the sport limping, broken hearted concerning and ended up focussing on being a sport climber down in Boulder. Eventually my real career choice took me to Oklahoma. From 1987 I didn't ski for nearly ten years. I had finally had the knee cap surgery I needed to ski again; more so because it became so bad it got in the way of my climbing, but regardless, when I came back to it the leather boots were replaced by plastic. Skis were getting fat. Pins were all but gone. And I loved the fact the sport was no longer being held back by the gear. To be honest, I've XCed but telemark was my passion. Not sure why; i just loved the turn but saw XC as a separate entity.

I'm not here to to say what is right skiing and what is not. What I do know is that I love telemarking, and I wish the mountain was flooded with others. But it isn't. In fact it seems to be dying. On my mountain (Alpertal) I rarely ever see another telemarker, much less one who is investing to do it well. Frankly from what I see AT is killing it. And telemarking today finds itself in a strange place once again. But that is okay.; that makes me sad, i feel alone, but you know... A full circle. But here I am now, and since I've been doing it a long, long time, and because as far as the turn itself and gear goes concerning I have years of perspective, I post what I have and will post. Frankly, this is a BC AND TELEMARK forum. I post from the purely downhill perspective. Sorry, but that is what I love, just as others love what they love. If that doesn't jibe with everyone, I really don't care. I'd like to get along with folks, but long ago I realized some you just can't. Do you know that in 1986 if you were skiing on anything but 75mm skinny skis and if you dared be on half plastics, stiencomps included there were fellow tele heads who would see you in a lift line on your gear and give you a rash of shit for not being "traditional?" In retrospect how stupid was that to demand others to curtail their passion and the forward nature of sport. Traditions are great to respect, but never should forward progress be limited by a regressive mindset. And that was pervasive back then, even within influential factions of the top level community. Yeah, it is amazing we ever got to where the manufacturers actually made us decent gear because of that attitude. And yes I've edited this numerous times as thoughts roll into my grey matter. Or my panties get increasingly wadded up.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:15 am

When I ski in the BC I become a better BC skier.....When I ski at a downhill area I become a better downhill skier....Boots are for whatever you want them to be.....Me, I like FEEL, you can't beat leather....I like to be able to make the skis sing with a feather touch or ball of the foot for power or anything in between....We like slicing....so the skis and bindings reflect that....lite....skinny...cambered....It's bc, see.....The rest of it can be hauled into the bc....downhill equipment in the bc.....good for some, for people like me not so much.....Remember one good arc in the bush is worth a thousand at a resort....Arc on boys and girls.....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:40 am

Mr. Harris,

Don't get your panties in a wad... we've had like 5 different users come in from your area in the last month, what makes you think I was singling you out?

Just be cool. You seem a little nervous.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:21 pm

MikeK wrote:Mr. Harris,

Don't get your panties in a wad... we've had like 5 different users come in from your area in the last month, what makes you think I was singling you out?

Just be cool. You seem a little nervous.
REALLY??????

Your witch-hunting ways are f'ing up the conversations. Just saying.....
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:44 am

Wow Telekid just scored....Brought our granddaughter over yesterday....and we talked....He got out of the box totally new lace up leathers...Crispy....uh...oh...something like that.....but new!!!!! Bit big like at least half size to big but another pair of socks will clear that up or some padding in the toe box....His co worker got them...put his foot in them.....sold them....Telekids Andrews were getting on the seriously beat side....He will use them for resort and the new ones in the Gonz.....Lucky kid...Telekid....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:18 pm

Tman which Crispi boots were those??? Sounds awesome. I totally spazzed when I opened this box last week - leather SCORE!!! Got these Alico Ski Marches in from England for only $75 shipped which is ridiculous - they are some of the nicest leather tele boots I've seen. They are "real" tele boots, they have the stiffer midsole of the Alico Double and do not twist. The uppers are very solid and thick-gauge leather - super high build quality and FIRM support…massive upgrade from Antarctic.

Also these are the only leather tele boots on Earth available in Wide sizes. I was able to get 47 wide (12 UK), and they're designed with even higher volume to fit up to two insulating shims in the soles - plenty of room for orthodics or footbeds. I scour fleabay and craigslist to find stuff like this - I stockpile leathers like a squirrel getting ready for winter! Don't know if they'll ever come around again. GI Joe Army store!!! you can email them to ask for more sizes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321784294337
IMG_0644.JPG
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Just checked out that link Canna- holy smokes! Those boots are incredible value!!!!?

Are they sold in British sizes?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:38 pm

You scored again Canna! You should be good to go for the next 100 years!

I've got these babies on their way to me:
image2.JPG
If I don't like 'em I might try those you linked. How are your Zenith?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:48 pm

BG, looks good - are those Alico Tele Tour on the left? What is the one with the buckle? They look to be in good shape. Yes, the Alico ski marches are in UK size - so 12 is US 13, or 47. I can measure the insoles if you want but they are sized like every other Crispi & Alico boot. (fyi Andrew is actually a bit different - size 46 is UK12, 47 is UK12.5). But 47 in all 3 is US size 13.

here is my current lineup - it's taken me 3 years of effort and trying boots to find these. have not tried to ski or break in the Zeniths yet, waiting to get them to the cobbler. The Zenith is stiffer and higher than Antarctic, but still has fairly soft toe and mid-foot. The ski march is one level up from Zenith in stiffness of the leather and midsole. Very heavy duty…the toe and midfoot are much stiffer and thicker leather. definitely going to need thick socks. here's a couple comparison pics. This website is great for this - where else would anyone care about this stuff??? :D
IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0646.JPG
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:37 pm

[quote="Cannatonic"]BG, looks good - are those Alico Tele Tour on the left? What is the one with the buckle?

What's your looking at are the Alico Teletours, left AND right. They have a buckle, much like your Zenith. Given how stiff those March boots are, I've been convinced to pass! What will you be using them for given you have the Zenith and Antarctic???

http://www.alicosport.it/TELEMARK%20BOOT.htm

I owned a nice pair of Alico Blaze last year. Double Buckles. too heavy and too similar to excursion to warrant keeping them. The teletour, much like Karhu XCD descent are a great compromise boot IMO. Perfect for XCDing, long approaches and fun teleing down.

Cheers!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM