NTN versus old style bindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
oggopoggo

Re: NTN versus old style bindings

Post by oggopoggo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Strange problem but without pictures or video it is impossible to tell the cause. The only unexpected release I can offer was increasing riser height until the boot shell itself twisted, ending badly at high speed.

As others have noted, NTN is a different style of skiing. I find it best for big skis, doing long radius turns from a tall stance, probably less restrictive for someone heavier. If you are shopping around you should look at the TTS or Moonlight version which allow powered up SR and LR turns from a lower stance. I have the (2016) Moonlight tele binding which is similar in range of motion as the G3 Targa etc. I prefer the Moonlight for fast free skiing and NTN for skiing hard pack artificial.

Harris

Re: NTN versus old style bindings

Post by Harris » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:55 am

oggopoggo wrote:Strange problem but without pictures or video it is impossible to tell the cause. The only unexpected release I can offer was increasing riser height until the boot shell itself twisted, ending badly at high speed.

As others have noted, NTN is a different style of skiing. I find it best for big skis, doing long radius turns from a tall stance, probably less restrictive for someone heavier. If you are shopping around you should look at the TTS or Moonlight version which allow powered up SR and LR turns from a lower stance. I have the (2016) Moonlight tele binding which is similar in range of motion as the G3 Targa etc. I prefer the Moonlight for fast free skiing and NTN for skiing hard pack artificial.
The NTN can actually turn quite tight and technical. The softer boots like the TX Pro let you still get pretty low, not knee on the ski low but still pretty low, which is how I ski when making turns hard in any conditions. They are a bit strange when you first buy the whole setup. It is like your first time driving a car with power steering when you are used to manual linkage, especially when the boots aren't broken in. But one thing you notice immediately is how much easier physically it is to handle every terrain you were skiing. Hard to explain. If I felt any restriction as far as snapping turns go I would blame that on today's skis which favor TGR movie moment, big mountain turning.