Tele musc

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Tele musc

Post by Harris » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:33 pm

One thing I can't stand is how every tele video on youtube is set to mellow vibe music. I mean we all have our tastes, and some want to be all Kumbaya about it, getting in touch with their inner Rasta granola, which to that I say "do as is what pleases," long board the small, friendly surf, hang ten and be cool, but I don't think that attitude should hold a vice grip on our sport, which it arguably has, and in that is possibly why we have lost ground to the AT crowd. And that is fine by me; if I'm the last guy dropping a knee it is just like the early days. And in utter defiance of trends, for 35 years when I ski I'm hardly "all chill." I'm amped. I want to thrash, being on tele gear doesn't mean I have to be nice and vibe with the white stuff. For me it is an escape, and somehow I ended up on tele gear. And when young I wanted to push the sport to its limits, today my knees get in my way, but when skiing I still love listening to music that puts me in my personal snow globe.

Over the years it has been this or that. On my old yellow Sony Walkman it was cassette Black Sabbath. Or Sammy Hagar. Or whatever. Best skiing moment? Lining up for a dual-off, mogul tourney finals with a line of speakers up the run, cheering sunbathers on the sides, and Pretenders "The Wait," blaring up the course. As a friend and I took off skating into the course I was shaking with raw energy. It was showtime, the crowd was hungry and we did our best to please, banging down the course at alpine, zipper-line speed.

Today I was up at my local area. I had skied the day before and my knees were dead. It had been a several day storm of rain mixed accumulations. Heavy and sticky mixed with toboggan packed ice. To be honest the only reason I went up today is because the season is coming to a draw, and I want and want and want. The parking lot was empty. Only an idiot would ski today. It was classic, worst-case windshield wiper PNW pure crap, and I needed some Pandora to get me plussed about it all.

All I could think of was Pink Floyd. A bit more mellow than I would've normally selected; usually I'm Pretty Lights or Deadsy, but as I was heading up the first lift getting drenched "Wish You Were Here" was playing and I smiled and it ended up being one of the better days of the year, banging styrofoam piles separated by old man, throat clearing hard pack, and laying first tracks in side run gobblie gloop. Have I aged to the point of mellow music? If I start listening to Simon and Garfunkel please some snowboarder jib slice me on the jugular.

What music puts you into perspective?
Last edited by Harris on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeK

Re: Tele musc

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:42 pm

[video][/video]

Official Tele band of Ttalk. :o

Actually a cover of one my favorites.

Harris

Post by Harris » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Very nice!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:50 pm

Peter Paul and Mary or Simon and Garfunkle, It depends how rad I'm feelin :lol:

Harris

Post by Harris » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:09 pm

lowangle al wrote:Peter Paul and Mary or Simon and Garfunkle, It depends how rad I'm feelin :lol:
No, no, noooooo..... That's it. I'm taking up yoga.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:13 pm

[video][/video]
One of my all time favs to get the blood flowing. IMO that intro solo with the wah put Kirk Hammett on the map.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 pm

cool, never met anyone that listens to Deadsy, that first prep school thing album rocks.

nice Mike, I was about to comment that "Leper Messiah" by Metallica was a critical element of learning snowboarding for me! Something about it seemed to drive me forward, I'd listen to it every day while booting up.

"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Harris

Post by Harris » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Mike knows!

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:14 pm

My favourite music (tele-inspired or otherwise) has a drone-undercurrent. I play a number of instruments- ranging from Irish whistle, to mandolin/fiddle/tenor banjo, guitar- and percussion- despite predominantly playing traditional Celtic music and folk- my dream was always to be in metal band (my preference is for the droning sound of stoner doom metal).

I listen religiously to everything form traditional Irish session music, to old-school Bod Dylan, to Sabbath, to Zeppelin, to Metallica, to old-school U2 and Coldplay's first few albums (i.e. before either U2/Coldplay became pop bands).

My favourite band is probably Soundgarden. Badmotorfinger changed my life during my first year of university. I still listen to it at least once a week.

I have been listening to a fair bit of current speed metal lately- anybody listening to Tremonti's solo material?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:45 pm

lilcliffy wrote:My favourite music (tele-inspired or otherwise) has a drone-undercurrent. I play a number of instruments- ranging from Irish whistle, to mandolin/fiddle/tenor banjo, guitar- and percussion- despite predominantly playing traditional Celtic music and folk- my dream was always to be in metal band (my preference is for the droning sound of stoner doom metal).

I listen religiously to everything form traditional Irish session music, to old-school Bod Dylan, to Sabbath, to Zeppelin, to Metallica, to old-school U2 and Coldplay's first few albums (i.e. before either U2/Coldplay became pop bands).

My favourite band is probably Soundgarden. Badmotorfinger changed my life during my first year of university. I still listen to it at least once a week.

I have been listening to a fair bit of current speed metal lately- anybody listening to Tremonti's solo material?
Whoa man. Talk about being cut from the same cloth.

I played in a Celtic rock band for a bit, but I always favored metal (or blues). Soundgarden changed my perspective on music too. While Nirvana and Pearl Jam were more popular of that era (and I had the discs), I was always a Soundgarden guy at heart. It was Badmotorfinger that changed me. It was metal, but not really. Being a big Metallibanger before them, it was the next step of evolution for my musical taste. This was all in HS for me. I'd guess around 1993-4? Badmotorfinger was old news then but it never really hit the east coast until later on.

I got onto a huge Bob Dylan kick in college - it's still a staple for me. The older I get, the more I really got into other music. Old blues, old R&B, old Rock, old Country.

Still to this day the best show I've seen is the Rolling Stones. Saw them in HS on the Voodoo Lounge tour. Didn't even know I liked them until after that concert. I'd grew up hearing everything they played and just never connected with it. Then it hit me. Holy fuck! There is a reason they are still doing it. Absolute masters. Still, the Mick Taylor years are the best IMO. They should have never ditched him.