Outlaw Binding chewing topsheet

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
NTN Mike

Outlaw Binding chewing topsheet

Post by NTN Mike » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:58 am

Anyone else having an issue with the new 22 Designs Outlaw chewing up their topsheet? The bracket that holds the spring underfoot is very sharp, and has started rubbing on one of the skis, and has worn a small hole into the other. This is after 2 days on the setup. I am bummed because the skis are new and expensive.... but on a positive note, they ski quite well!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7XWrp ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7XWrp ... sp=sharing

Jeff

Re: Outlaw Binding chewing topsheet

Post by Jeff » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:26 pm

I've never seen nor heard of that. I've moved mine to 3 different pairs of skis via inserts and none have that wear issue. 15+ days so far. Have you emailed 22D?

Onegear

Post by Onegear » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Mounted on Dynastar Cham yesterday, same issue. I put some of the included 3M tape in that spot seams to help..but after a day of skiing not the solution. I'm going to file mine down tonight.
Last edited by Onegear on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTN Mike

Post by NTN Mike » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:38 pm

ended up using a file, then the dremel to grind down the edge. After a long day on the hill, no new marks.... Now to epoxy those holes...

IainAhh

Post by IainAhh » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this issue out. It gave me a chance to do something about it.

After a days skiing there was a little bit of a mark on the top sheet. See photo.

The second picture shows the offending sharp edge.
I rounded the edge with a file.

As I had some light aluminum sheet at hand I made some little plates to protect the top sheet.
I tried double sided tape for a bit of flex. Still there after today's day out skiing with fresh snow.
You can see some small marks on the top of it so it is doing its job.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:17 pm

I don't have this problem on my Outlaws... But I was able to reproduce the issue by hand... Seems like It can happen when the binding is flexed in a particular way... I think it has something to do with boot stiffness, on how the bellow flexes...

I can scratch the ski playing with the binding with my hands but not with my Comps...

What boots are you guys using? Pros? Evos? Shivers?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

IainAhh

Post by IainAhh » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:27 pm

I was using Garmont Prophets with the above skis.

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:46 pm

I love my Outlaws, but there is another Outlaw issue that probably should be home addressed. The clearance between the spring tube adjustment cap and the step in cams attach Allen bolt heads is too close and there is contact, which will probably wear through the spring cap. Mine after a day had already cut into the cap significantly (the wear can be seen in the photo with the cap rotated to where the wear is shown at the 11:00 positon) and the cap is pretty thin aluminum. I filed down the heads of the bolts for clearance (post filed heads are also seen in the photo). but not enough to weaken the bolt heads or ruin the Allen head. It will still make contact, but not enough that I'm concerned. If anyone decides to do this filing, the binding has to be partially disassembled (easy), but the spring plate screws (2 each per side) might come pre-stripped (the plastic in which they are threaded is super soft). I epoxied mine back in and they are holding up fine.
image.jpeg

Harris

Post by Harris » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Also... I was warned by the shop that some folks are having a hard time getting the step-in cams to snap-lock over. I found this to be true when trying to bench step-in the boot. But with my boots on there has not been an issue.

NTN Mike

Post by NTN Mike » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:09 pm

I ski in comps. the spring was adjusted to 4.

weeks later - this happened!

not saying it had anything to do with the binding… at least they didn't rip out!

I have had a hard time stepping in the outlaw in deep soft snow. The ski flexes too much when i step down, and does not flip the cam. I've resorted to putting the binding in tour mode, putting my toe in, and flipping the lever by hand.

I have found that it is a pain to get out of, when compared to the freedom or freeride. There is less space when the binding is open. With the rottefella ones, i can just kick my foot out, but with the outlaw, it feels like it never wants to come off.

Overall, i still really enjoy how the binding skis.