7TM

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

7TM

Post by Rodbelan » Tue May 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Lovejohnny, I would like to know if you had some 7TM before... Do not know how these ski... Some say there are lacking lateral rigidity. I guess they refer to the first generation... I read some of your post about that, but can't exactly remember... I would also like to know what's everybody thoughts about that too... Thanks.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Bri7

Re: 7TM

Post by Bri7 » Tue May 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Hey salut Rodrigue

Content de te voir ici. Are you done with your ski season yet? There must be a lot of snow remaining in your area but no lift to ski it.

wayne

Post by wayne » Tue May 06, 2014 8:19 pm

I used 7tms for years, before I needed new boots and decided to try NTN. I liked the 7tms and would still use them if I had 75mm boots. They released reliably and the tours had great range.

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 am

Hello Bri7,
La saison n'est pas finie! There is Jay Peak, poaching some closed ski resort (Stoneham & Mont-Sainte-Anne) and Mines Madelaine later in May... I'll try to post pictures.

Wayne,
Could you develop a bit? How do qualify (or quantify) the difference between the two? Thanks very much...

wayne

Post by wayne » Wed May 07, 2014 7:23 am

Much more control with NTN. This analogy doesn't work well with people younger than me, but I say it's likes the first time you drove a car with power bakes. You need to back way off on the pressure you apply. I continually over turned on NTN until I got the feel. And I had to learn that feel in each new snow condition.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 am

Hey Rod,

Yeah I had several pairs of 7TM... To me they're still the finest bindings on the market. Release system is perfect, and so is the true step-in system. Of course they're not as active as NTNs but lateral rigidity is not everything.

The Power model (The one with a removable pin) is a bit more active than the original All-Mountain (Red) model. I still have a pair of Powers, and I'm seriously considering going back to 7TM...

Speaking of analogy, I would say that NTN is like driving a car with an automatic gearbox, while 7TM (And all NN stuff) is more like using a standard transmission. They (bindings and cars) are both great. You definitely get more feeling on standard/NN, but it's easier to use automatic/NTN. 8-)

Again and again, easier never meant more fun...!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Wed May 07, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks LoveJohnny,
Another question: how would you compare them—7TM— with Cobras for exemple or BD 02? I've never tried a binding with cables running under the boot soles... Thanks again... Rod

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri May 09, 2014 11:38 am

There's not a big difference about where the cables run. It's more in the design itself. I would say the 7TMs are about as stiff (or soft!) as the Cobras or Mid-Stiff BDs. You don't buy 7TM for the stiffness, you buy them because of the DIN certified release and the true step-in ability, as it's THE only binding on the market with those features.

If you're looking for super active bindings and you don't care about release, go for NTN or 22Designs... If you want a good all-around binding and you wanna protect those knees, 7TM is the best way to go...!

But hey, you know what... I see a lot of super fast (and good!) skiers on 75mm bindings... But I don't see as much good skiers on NTN... Seriously... Oh here I go again... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

TomH

Post by TomH » Fri May 09, 2014 4:55 pm

They ski fine. The power version is a bit more active and probably HH 3-ish. Biggest problem is they're no longer made, so you'll be dealing with used bindings and not much for parts availability. I seem to remember some having toe-bar breakage problems - but I think those were the early ones - didn't hear much for problems with the late-model ones so long as you had the release set correctly to not pre-release.

And in reality, NTN's about as active/neutral as the 7tm if you look at where the pivot points are. NTN is more laterally rigid however, so ime translates power to the edge better.

tree7sheep

Post by tree7sheep » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:39 pm

7TM is alive and well . :P

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/7tm ... 93f1cb0233

Maybe there is just currently a lack of a us distributor ... ?

Love my Power-tours , bought a second ski kit last season ,
to switch the binding between my powder boards and my xcd skis.

They are plenty stiff for my taste .

:roll: :P
Erik K.