80's range waisted rocker ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: 80's range waisted rocker ski

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 am

Hey Martin,

What you call the mid point is usually the spot where you should align your boot center, not the pivot point... This spot is not necessarily the ski chord center or balance point... You are right, the best mounting point is probably a few inches forward...

Align your boot center with the Salomon recommended point, and mark where the pin line of the boot is on the ski... Now also mark chord center and balance point and see if something is making sense... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Grampatele

Post by Grampatele » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:41 am

Saw the new moniker.....Bring back the female Telemarkers!!!!!!! Sky or wonderful women Telemarking....Bring back the girls.....Background of sky is political correctness....Teleskiers are what it's about....Bring Telemarkers back and even in these times bring back WOMEN Telemarkers....Yay!!!!! GT

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 am

I've been finding that if the ski has a boot-center mark, putting my tele-boot center 2cm back has been mostly optimal. For me. I also have big long feet.

If they are already mounted I would ski them first without doing all the work or remounting again.

Martin O.

Post by Martin O. » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks to both. They are already mounted but I also have taken them out for some turns already. It was overall pretty great but, as I mentioned in my post, also had this sort of frustrating feeling that I wasn't in the right spot to really drive the ski. So if I understand correctly, you're both recommending moving up an inch (2 cm) or two. That seems about right to me.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:49 am

Yep, we are both saying the same thing, in a different way... ;)

But depending on your size, I would say more like 4-5" forward... Either pin line on CC or BP... Or (BSL - 2cm for the duckbill) / 2 on boot center mark... And as Woods mentionned, I like a few cm back too...

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:51 am

I guess we get used to a certain type of mount... I like my alpine type of skis mounted Boot centre on the Center mark of the ski... For a fjellski, I mount pin line on balance point—best for K&Glide...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:26 pm

^^^^ Which gives most of time pretty much the same point... To within a few cms...

Oh, actually, I might be wrong Martin... I just re-read your post... What do you mean exactly by the mid-point of the ski...? Manufacturer's mark, chord center or balance point? I don't know why I took "mid-point" for the mark on the ski...?