Fischer E109 length advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
novemberregn

Fischer E109 length advice

Post by novemberregn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Hey!
My first post here after many hours of reading.
I'm just about to buy a pair of E109 but I have concerns about what length to choose, 200 or 205cm? I'm 180cm (5,9 ft) and 90kg (200 pounds). I already have a couple of narrower skis for flat terrain and the main purpose for my E109 is planned shorter distance with the chance to enjoy the downhills.

Any advice on which length I should hit?

greatgt

Re: Fischer E109 length advice

Post by greatgt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:24 am

I have 215's for "cruising, breaking"....Have some ski swap @ 178....One is to long the other to short....Ordered a 190 for up and down skiing....This will not be a cruiser unless our network of BC trails is broken...Skiing has been excellent so far with deep powder on crushable mushable base and @ a foot of powder on top....Wicked for skiing prior to Thanksgiving...And we give thanks!!!!!!! TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 am

I don't know if you're looking at WAX or CROWNS but:

I have a pair of CROWN E99's in a 205cm and I am 160lbs.

I was contemplating a pair of E109's and I was going to get the 200cm for my height and length.

If you are looking at a WAX ski and you want to enjoy the downhills, shorter might be able to work since you can manipulate the wax pocket, but if you were going for an older CROWN E109 I think the 205 would be the ticket so you wouldn't get excessive drag on the scales.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Woodserson wrote:an older CROWN E109
What do you mean by an older E109 cause there is old and older. If you mean the E109 xtralite waxless/wax that was sold for a few years up to 2017 (included), then its surely very similar to the current 2018 wax version. However, previous to the xtralite era, the E109 what a whole other ski: much stiffer with less sidecut, no nordic rocker.

For what its worth, I like to follow weight recommendations and I believe the recommended E-109 length is usually 10cm less than the E99 length. So I would go 5-10cm less than my E99 length (195-200cm). I'm 5'10, 160lbs. The E109 has a softer camber so others might suggest going longer, but I prefer the E109 for what it is: a turnier BC touring ski great for tight forest trails.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:45 pm

Ben is right- the current E109 Xtralite is very different than the previous model.
The E109 Crown Xtralite does not seem to be available anymore- I have both the waxable "Tour" and the waxless-scaled "Crown" E109 Xtralite- both are 205cm.
I am 5'10" and 185lbs without a pack.
I would not want this ski in a shorter length.
The current E109 Xtralite is very light and maneuverable, and with its "soft" camber-and-a-half underfoot and open Nordic-rockered tips- even the 205cm is VERY manageable skiing tight trails in hilly forested terrain.
I both love and hate this ski.
It is truly dreamy downhill for a cambered XC ski.
But the damn ultra-soft rockered tips- coupled with its waspy waist- makes this ski completely unstable when XC skiing and climbing in deep soft snow.
I actually find the current E99 Xtralite more stable and almost as much fun downhill- with its equally rockered tip- and it is certainly a faster and more efficient XC ski than the E109.

I personally think that the current E99 is a much better Nordic touring ski than the E109...

All that being said- at 220lbs I would very much think that you would want the stability, support, glide and float of the 205cm E109.
What are the weight/length recommendations from Fischer for the E109?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:33 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Woodserson wrote:an older CROWN E109
What do you mean by an older E109 cause there is old and older. If you mean the E109 xtralite waxless/wax that was sold for a few years up to 2017 (included), then its surely very similar to the current 2018 wax version.
You are correct to clarify, thank you. I was being unnecessarily vague. I meant "old" in the sense that that the CROWN is no longer produced and I was definitely referencing the more modern Xtralite version- which I have in the E99.

old = recently no longer produced.

novemberregn

Post by novemberregn » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks for all response guys! I think I'll go for 205!