Need ski recommendations - please!!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lea

Need ski recommendations - please!!

Post by Lea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am

Hi all,

I'm (finally) updating my tele set-up and am hoping for ski recommendations. I now have the woman's scarpa TX Pro boots, the 22 Designs Outlaw X binding and just need the "right" ski to complete my set-up. I've been looking around, asking questions, doing someone online research, but it dawned on me that this could be a fantastic resource as well!

Here's what I'm looking for:
I'd love to say we primarily ski powder, but reality is, we're mostly on the front side. My current skis, that I bought years ago on a whim on clearance (Rossi S90 - with Scarpa T2 boots and Axl bindings), do fairly well in soft stuff but kinda stink for front side charging. Looking for an aggressive ski that goes fast, plows through crud and holds an edge well, but can go off-piste too. We do "some" touring and hut trips (not a lot, but hope to do more in years to come), so don't necessarily want a super heavy ski. I'm 5'5", 120ish, 43 yo and been skiing since I was 2. Have been told to avoid large rockers for tele and aim for between 88 and less than 100 waist. Thoughts?

From talking to ski shop folks, the ones on the "short" list are (in no particular order):
Blizzard Black Pearl 88 or 98
Salomon QST Lux 92
Black Crows Camox Birdie
Elan Ripstick 94
Kastle FX95 HP

Thoughts? favorites? What do you ski? Other skis you'd recommend for me? I would REALLY appreciate any feedback you might have - especially since it's hard to demo tele skis these days.

THANK YOU!!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Need ski recommendations - please!!

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:59 am

What's your budget?

Rocker is awesome, especially in softer snow. Maybe not full-banana skis, but some rocker is a dream.

And where are you? CO?

Lea

Post by Lea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi! Yes, in Colorado. So some rocker is ok, but I've heard too much or heavy rocker doesn't do well on the front side - which is (unfortunately) mostly where I ski these days. My last skis don't do very well on hard pack going fast and this time around, that's what I"m looking for! :-)

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Black Pearl 88 is awesome; it also fits well with what you are looking for... Very good compromise fro frontside, slackcountry, off-piste. Of course Colorado has lots of snow...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

teledance

Post by teledance » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:05 pm

I'd vote for the Kastles the Pearls might be a bit soft with 41 seasons in.

Lea

Post by Lea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:48 pm

teledance and rodbelan, thank you for your suggestions! I've heard great things about the Black Pearl 88 and the Kastle's. I was thinking perhaps the Pearl 88 might be a bit too soft, but wasn't sure. And, my concern with the Kastle FX95 HP is that they might be too much ski? i.e. too heavy or too much for a tele ski? Again, not sure! thoughts on that?

Lea

Post by Lea » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Oooh, and what about the Kore 93 or DPS Uschi 94??!!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm

I have been really impressed with Elan and Black Crows construction, and they have been making some nice skis-- Atomic too. Keep an eye out for these, and also think about the weight of the ski. Too heavy and it's a slog and too light and it'll get bounced around. The Ripstick 94 is really sought after, but I resisted. I have the 17/18 Camox Freebird and it's a great ski. The ski changed for 18/19 but I'm not sure how it changed for the Birdie. In the men's version they reduced the rocker a bit.

Atomic, Elan, and some Black Crows are made in the same factory with the same construction techniques. I've been very happy with my Atomics and BC's and the Atomics are cheaper, but sometimes a little on the heavy side but YMMV.

teledance

Post by teledance » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:43 am

My wife is on the Pearl 88 and she's an intermediate, which is why I thought it might be too soft, she does love them. Was going to recommend the Head Kores but the women's model didn't rate as well as the men's.