THE GREATEST bindings debate on the planet (Official thread)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bogon

Re: THE GREATEST bindings debate on the planet (Official thr

Post by bogon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:41 am

My exp. is quite the contrary:
can't ski in TX Pros in walk mode - improper backward support then; can't bear with that (on forward foot).
But then, my TSTs are having pretty stiff tails, and am just a tele-noob...
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

nurse ben

Post by nurse ben » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:36 am

TTS is a great system with certain limitations, ie ROM is insufficient with the stock cartridges.

Unlike one poster suggested, TTS does have very good lateral stability, better than NTN for sure, close to what you'd get with AXLs or Hammerheads.

In time someone will retail a TTS variant with more travel, but for now you can either build your own or ski tall.

I ski two TTS variants ( Hammerhead TTS and Axl TTS) and the stock TTS, all work well, subtle differences in feel, more ROM with the HH and Axl variants, I still like to ski the stock TTS on light skis (BC 125) whereas the variants see use on fatter skis.

teledance

Post by teledance » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:00 am

RT, I ski my boots in walk mode which helps me stay in the sweet spot. A nod back to all my years in leather boots.

bogon

Post by bogon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 am

nurse ben wrote:Unlike one poster suggested, TTS does have very good lateral stability, better than NTN for sure
How so?
Last time I checked, Dynafit toes were laterally elastic (well, that's how release works).

Or You "close" the toe and ski it in "touring mode"? I guess You'll get almost no release then... OTOH I heard that someone was skiing with toes unlocked (stating that heel throw provides "even forward pressure", thus the boot stays latched mostly), and for someone somewhere "emergency release" has happened.

To rephrase: Will TTS release in emergency while closed, or only in "open" mode (toe lever at the middle position)?

Oh, and what about ski crampons with "Hammerhead TTS"?
(never saw a picture of it; only saw your AXL hybrid)
Last edited by bogon on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:08 am

I love my heavy 4 buckle T-races, and heavy skis, they ski through poor snow.
Well, guess it's just a matter of taste... Maybe I'm just too addicted to good snow...
But I'd rather ski fluffy powder on pins and featherlight skis than poor snow on 4 buckles & heavy skis... ;)
TTS is a great system with certain limitations
I know it will sound stupid for you plastic lovers, but does anyone ever tried putting tech inserts on leathers?
I mean, why not? There's not much space on the duckbill but it doesn't seem impossible to me...

Anyone with some spare inserts for sale? 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:11 pm

teledance wrote:RT, I ski my boots in walk mode which helps me stay in the sweet spot. A nod back to all my years in leather boots.
Roger that TD..Been some great skiing on the pass ..where the f you been :lol: ?
BTW, I wonder if I am sacrificing any turn power by running my 3PHW's on the CRB ?
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:
Well, guess it's just a matter of taste... Maybe I'm just too addicted to good snow...
But I'd rather ski fluffy powder on pins and featherlight skis than poor snow on 4 buckles & heavy skis... ;)

Johnny the issue with being addicted to good snow is that if one only skis good snow, one does not, IMHO, end up skiing nearly as much as otherwise..And, of course, there's a problem with the definition e.g. is this "good"
snow or not ? It's sure good if speed is the goal and you have the gear to do it..

Is this good snow? Yea, I would say it's great snow..great for skiing tight trees..
But the truth is I would not bother to ski the conditions in the first pic on my XCd gear, not deliberately,
but I WOULD not even blink at skiing either condition on my heavier gear..
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

dschane

Post by dschane » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:16 am

lowangle al wrote:
LoveJohnny wrote:Who needs pivot when you have pins!
People with tall, stiff, 4 buckle boots may want them.
This weekend, I skinned up in 3-pins (Voile Mountaineers). The difference is pretty huge -- I'd surmise that the free pivot more than compensates (in terms of energy spent) for the 2 lb difference between the Mountaineers (not quite 1 lb) and Voile Switchbacks (3 lb), esp. for long days with lots of climbing.

teledance

Post by teledance » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:03 am

Raventele wrote:
teledance wrote:RT, I ski my boots in walk mode which helps me stay in the sweet spot. A nod back to all my years in leather boots.
Roger that TD..Been some great skiing on the pass ..where the f you been :lol: ?
BTW, I wonder if I am sacrificing any turn power by running my 3PHW's on the CRB ?
Can't comment on the CRB never used them. Great powder Monday especially for N. ID. Been skiing at Silver or its BC. Just for LJ I have leather and it can be fun, but not with some of the conditions I've encountered, kickturning your way out isn't skiing.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 am

Well, not unlike girls, I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice.

I don't see the point of climbing all day with heavy skis, heavy bindings and heavy boots just to ski one run of 'poor' snow. I'd rather ski naked all day on the sunny rolling hills or do 30 runs on the groomers instead... But that's just MHO...

But it's the trend here... People all buy super fat skis with tech bindings and nice expensive 4 buckles boots... They wanna do it like they do on television and hip ski mags. I guess I just wanna go against the trend...

That being said, we all have different tastes for different things, and that's what makes this world beautiful... 8-)
kickturning your way out isn't skiing
Nice one. I have to admit I did more kickturns on the descent this year than I ever did... Blame the snow..! ;)
I like gliding and that's it...
the free pivot more than compensates (in terms of energy spent) for the 2 lb difference
Really, you think they do? I guess it's a matter of taste here too... I have a pair of free pivot bindings and I don't remember using them in the last 3-4 years... I think I really hate the idea now of having 2-3 lbs stuck under my feet when I can be totally free on pins... But then again, there's no snow here so it's different... : )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."