Fischer E-99 getting a makeover/name change?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Struckski
Ski style: anything from zero to about 30 degrees...
Favorite Skis: Voile
Favorite boots: I dream of something lightweight, with good ankle ROM and a bellows...

Re: Fischer E-99 getting a makeover/name change?

Post by Struckski » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:56 am

I just picked these up...what a timeless ski! It would be a damn shame if Fischer stopped making 'em...
PXL_20210223_162111061.MEDIUM.jpeg

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:35 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:16 pm
VERY interested.
Once Asnes has perfected a waxless-scaled verson of the Gamme 54 I will have one.
I don't know if I would call it the "Telemark ski" though...
I think that the Nansen is Asnes' old-school Telemark ski.
The Gamme- as is the E99 (oops does this ski still exist :cry: :twisted: )- is more XC-oriented from my perspective.
The E99 is a fantastic BC-XCd ski in hilly terrain, but I still consider it a XC ski.
I was under the impression the Asnes Nansen AND Amundsen (Rago) were both downhill oriented telemark skis in their earlier days. At least that's what Pinnah said:

http://web.archive.org/web/201510021509 ... -skis.html

Or what I thought he said.
@bgregoire
I responded to this in a fresh thread: http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 404#p38766
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:44 pm

Eärendil wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:22 am
Maybe we can ask Åsnes to make a GMTO (Group Made To Order)? Keep the Gamme spec but with a longer waxless base pattern than the regular Åsnes WL. Then drop the current graphics and make it more inline with Combat Nato or MT51. ”The Telemark Ski”?

How many are interested?

//Rickard//
I am interested in a ski like that, but am not sure why they should drop the graphics. Just make the waxless pattern better for all their skis, and start selling a waxless Gamme. I'd buy a pair of those in a heartbeat.

All they really need to do on the double cambered skis is extend the "deep" fishscales to the x-skin attachment point, and then run a short distance (8cm?) of shallow fishscales in front of that.

Eärendil
Ski style: Ski touring
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Eärendil » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:56 pm

riel wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:44 pm
Eärendil wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:22 am
Maybe we can ask Åsnes to make a GMTO (Group Made To Order)? Keep the Gamme spec but with a longer waxless base pattern than the regular Åsnes WL. Then drop the current graphics and make it more inline with Combat Nato or MT51. ”The Telemark Ski”?

How many are interested?

//Rickard//
I am interested in a ski like that, but am not sure why they should drop the graphics. Just make the waxless pattern better for all their skis, and start selling a waxless Gamme. I'd buy a pair of those in a heartbeat.

All they really need to do on the double cambered skis is extend the "deep" fishscales to the x-skin attachment point, and then run a short distance (8cm?) of shallow fishscales in front of that.
I agree , the graphics is less important than getting the waxless base right, but for a special ski I would prefer something less fashion shoot. Like Combat Nato, I think less is more.

//Rickard//

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:20 pm

Smitty wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:28 pm
Good God, how many trademarked buzz words can they fit into one name? Marketing budget is larger than the R&D/Engineering/product testing budgets.
This is what happens when MBA graduates proceed to middle management. They are not good at finding problems, so they just start making solutions in hopes of merit.

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:15 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:20 pm
This is what happens when MBA graduates proceed to middle management. They are not good at finding problems, so they just start making solutions in hopes of merit.
Well said.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
The ski companies all seem to work with pretty impressive athletes to find problems and improve their products.

However, the top athletes likely find some slightly different problems than average skiers like us. This can result in skis that are high performance, but not very forgiving.

Looking at the Rossignol BC skis, I'm guessing they get most of their feedback through rental shops. Those skis appear to be extremely forgiving of poor technique, but not as high performance as they could be.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 am

riel wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 am
[...] the Rossignol BC skis [...] appear to be extremely forgiving of poor technique [...]
Hmmmm. Maybe I need to give the Rossi BC skis more consideration.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:03 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:28 pm
Good God, how many trademarked buzz words can they fit into one name? Marketing budget is larger than the R&D/Engineering/product testing budgets.
Well, you've just perfectly described the debacle that Mountain Equipment Co-op, or whatever the MBAs rebranded it, has become.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:29 am

I am very surprised that Fischer would not be mindful of the value and significance of the "E99" brand...

The E99 is truly a legendary ski- it has become the archetype of an entire CATEGORY of Nordic touring skis.

What's in a name? Language matters- it shapes the way we think and influences our understanding, imagination and dreams.

These new names are written up by someone that manages data- not someone with a passion for skiing-

"Glittertind"- what's that? I can't organize and sort that attribute value! How wide is it again? What kind of ski is it again? Oh- that is a "BC55"- let's get rid of that meaningless "Glitt" moniker.
(Yet we will still be referring to this ski as the "Glitt" 20 years from now!)

Does the name "BC55" move you- inspire you?

"Glittertind" is a legendary mountain in Norway- that is apparently named after the River "Glitra"- "glitre" meaning "glitter", "sparkle". "Tind" meaning mountain peak. "Glittertind" = "glittering mountain peak".
Couple all of that with the legendary skiing that has been done on the Glittertind ski- I would like to own one.
I have no interest in owning a "BC55" ski when I already own an E99.

When these things become legends in our mind the name represents that legend.

Just imagine if Porsche dropped the "911" model name and started using the product code (i.e 993 or whatever) that its engineers and data managers use internally to sort and manage records?

Langauge matters-

Transnordic 66- BLAH!
Why woud I want one when I already have a E99?
Now- a truly "improved" E99? I might be tempted to try that. Its already a legend because of its name.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.