XCD skis for 250lb Clydesdale?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
the Big Mao

Re: XCD skis for 250lb Clydesdale?

Post by the Big Mao » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:33 pm

I'm at your weight as well, and find that my S-Bound 98's (189cm) work fine for our type of snow here. The scuttlebutt is, that there's another shipment from Fischer "supposedly" arriving pretty soon, but 'yasureyoubetcha" comes to mind real quick. However, as a comparison, once the new Alpina Explor XP/Rottefella binding becomes available, I'll marry that setup to a pair of Asnes Falketind 62 Explors. There's ample boards out there for us Clydesdales, including us pack animals and pulk-haulers.

bark-eater

Post by bark-eater » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Well todays trip "to town" got me a set of 215cm Fischer Europa 99 skis. Their waxable and have aluminum edges and definitely a "bird in hand" kind of decision. I'm thinking I'll find a 3 pin binding with removable cable's that I can put on when and if I find heavier boots. Any thoughts on finding a set of some sort of skins for going up hill if I cant figure out waxing?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:14 pm

These will work but you may have difficulty finding them.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/e ... cker-50mm/

That being said waxing is not Chinese arithmetic. It works really well. You don’t want to pull a skin on and off unless you are gaining elevation over a good distance, it would just be a PITA. Read Lilcliffy’s wax tutorial in the Telewiki section. I’m not talking the whole thread, just the original tutorial. I would read Pinnah’s simple tutorial as well.
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2187

A little bit of reading for better performance and a lot less work than messing with the BD half-skin
Have fun on the snow!