Dog Questions

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Dog Questions

Post by corlay » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:50 pm

1. Metal Edges
Is it really so common that skiiers injure their dogs with their metal edges on skiis?
I've been nordic skiing regularly for the past 20+ years, and am on my second dog.
The first was a Husky-Collie mix, the current is a pure-Collie.
I've never even feared this once, with either.
But I see it mentioned occasionally here, and elsewhere - so I'm curious.

2. Booties
My Collie last night was lagging behind way more than usual, and acting "weird".
When we were done with our tur, he immediately started biting at his feet,
and I realized that they were packed with snow/ice.
Ive seen this a few times before over the years - must be certain types of snow and temp ranges make this happen more easily? or maybe Collies have different feet than Huskies?
Anyway, I've also seen various "dog booties" around while browsing the internet.
Anyone use these? Have a specific product to recommend that has worked well?

Thanks!

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Re: Dog Questions

Post by wabene » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:09 pm

I've wondered the same thing when I read about metal edges. I've also been skiing with my dogs and metal edges for years. One of my dogs likes to run right behind me stepping on the backs of my skis, especially when braking trail in the deeper stuff. I'm mindful of it especially with new sharp skis. I'm interested in what others have to say.
Booties. Well my older dog, lab/spaniel, is prone to ice balls while my younger Aussie cattle dog/shepherd mix has courser fur that just sheds the snow. They are quite the opposite. The older dog used to run with the booties, but never liked it and one day in the truck on the way to the trail she had a complete temper tantrum and clearly wanted them removed. I obliged and haven't put them on her since. I liberally apply Musher's Secret in between her pads especial deep in the middle and it is much improved although not perfect. She is happy with this it seems.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:14 pm

I think dogs are required to wear booties in sled races such as the Iditarod (where the rules include the requirement to carry 8 booties per dog, in the sled as replacements).
My son in Alaska tours with a dog a lot. I don't think edge cuts have ever been a factor.

https://iditarod.com/zuma/booties-and-boots/

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:16 pm

If your dog handles boots, great. I never even bothered to try. If it's low single digits F (say -15C or lower) I put Musher's Secret on the paws of my lab. I generally use it throughout winter periodically regardless of temp just to keep his paws from drying or getting scraped up by cold snow, but especially if it's cold temps as listed above and we are going out skiing. Rarely does he have any paw issues since I began doing this, no build-up or other problems.

Metal edges do scare me, but only because I worry a lot about his safety, which is probably unnecessary. When fresh he likes to run in front of me and occasionally stops suddenly to smell something. I've had to quickly stop or alter course a few times, but usually he responds to me yelling "go" and takes off at speed. I think that was because I trained him by slowing down and hitting him in the butt with snow baskets when he would do this, while yelling "go," and was on skis with 3/4 edges so if I hit him with the tips it wasn't an issue. Now I have full wrap metal edges and it worries me that this may be an issue training a new pup this way. Also he sometimes tries to cross over in front of me if he's alongside, which could cause an issue. When he is tired he trails behind. Sometimes if I too am tired he trails too closely and doesn't know the skis could hurt him. When hiking he sometimes follows so close I have hit him in the jaw with the heel of my boot just hiking naturally. He also used to follow my horse so closely he ran into his hocks. Thankfully that horse was so good he never once kicked out behind him, that could have beem disastrous.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:28 pm

I ran beagles on rabbit and hare for many years. I never had an issue with feet in regards to snow. Now in breakable icy crust I did notice some bloody red testicles on my best male. It didn’t slow him down, and he bred several females successfully.
My current dog knows the command “watch out”. However it all depends on the temperament of the dog. My dog steers clear of me skiing, other dogs might think it’s fun to cut you off. I really wouldn’t want to ski without edges on the trails I ski most often with my dog. The trails get packed out quickly, and they are twisty trails

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:35 pm

1. Metal edges
Most of my skiis are without metal edges, but in hindsights after 5 years of extensive skiing with dogs, I dont really see this as a big concern.

I tried earlier this year to cut myself (dont worry folks) with the metal edges of Aasnes Gamme, but didn't manage to as the edges are quite subtle. Obviously this may be different for serious downhill skis.

Looks like your collie has a great coat, so this further reduces the risk of cut-through.

I'd even go as far as to say its more dangerous for both you and your dog to ski in certain icy conditions without metal edges - which we see more of these days in Norway - than without.

My next BC skis will be with metal edge, although a subtle type (e.g. Gamme)

2. Boots
Talked to a reindeer herder at Hardangervidda, who had both siberians, greenland dogs and a border collie. The latter was great for everything - except icing on its modern european paws...

There may be individual differences, but aboslutely adviced for all dogs on icy crust or packing snow - maybe except Polar and Nordic spitz types - in my opinion. Just be prepared to buy a lot of them! They tend to slip off or wear out (also make sure to pick them up..)
Last edited by TheMusher on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:17 pm

If you can train them early to take boots, great. It can be pretty nice, if you take them on long expeditions.
This is up in Aniakchak, Alaska. Lots of volcanic rock. Rough ice would probably do the same.
Overlook resize.jpg
After about 100 miles of on again, off again packrafting, his paws were pretty sore.
Sore paws.jpg
Fortunately, he got some relief:
Raft resize.jpg

Woodsbum
Ski style: 13th century Norwegian
Favorite Skis: Altai Hoks
Favorite boots: Asolo New Snowfields

Post by Woodsbum » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:26 pm

I've heard the same things about metal edges. But, I've never had a problem and Rae loves to run right behind me sometimes running up between my skis when I'm flying down hill (I feel her head-butting me in the ass!) I do, however, carry a roll of vet wrap, some gauze and some quick clot just in case. Rae has never needed booties. But, two previous dogs did. They work great. I think one of the brands I've used was Ruffwear. They don't last very long but they make a huge difference.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:28 pm

1. Yes they often cut off the feet of dogs.

2. A reindeer herder on the Hardangervidda? That is odd because the reindeer down there are wild. The furthest south that the Sami traditionally herd reindeer in Norway is Nord Trondelag where the South Sami live. The majority of Sami herders being situated well north of there, with the bulk of them in Finnmark.

I can not imagine a Sami putting boots on a dog.

My old friend Olof, a herder in Lønsdal Norway (one of two families still herding on the Saltfjellet) does not use dogs at all. I would tell you how many reindeer he has but that would be rude. . This is him with his grand daughter. That was a very late Spring so all the moss was gone but the grass was still covered and they had to purchase feed. His husbandry area is endangered by the Chinese quartz mine plans on the Nasafjellet. BTW she skis better than me.
DSC08931.jpg

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:58 pm

TheMusher wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:35 pm
My next BC skis will be with metal edge, although a subtle type (e.g. Gamme)
I read something here about Asnes edges being razor sharp. I got Nansens three weeks ago and don't think they are very sharp. Still worry a bit but that's just me. Maybe it's the more downhill types that are sharp? I am planning on gamme or finnmark for one of my next skis but can't decide between them, basically comes down to whether I think they pose a danger to a young dog.