New leathers--crease control

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: New leathers--crease control

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:41 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:21 pm
fisheater wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:55 pm
...an insole in to fill some space so that crease cannot form a powerful angle that hurts your foot.
...however it is quite possible I am not explaining it well enough.
Thanks. Explained just fine. I see it in the boot; I feel it in my soft human tissue.
Crease already formed.
You may also be suggesting that it is fixable which is my current practical concern -- I'm not sure a thick insole will work at this point, but I have not given up on possibilities yet. (Hedging my bets, I did just get the more proven sturdy NNN BC -- Alaska -- been wearing around the house.)
Maybe a thicker or extra sock?

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:13 pm

Tom M wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:22 pm
Yes it did help. I did this after every ski for a couple of months. The boots would be damp from skiing and that seemed to help the boot leather form a new memory.
Thanks, Tom.
So, I won't give up on them yet.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:03 pm

Just reporting back here on the Transnordic BC (as it might be relevant to other leather boot creasing).
I brought the boot to a leather boot shop; they put it on the stretcher at the crease at the small toes (pushing it out I guess). I then added a cheap insole to take up a little space, and with a thick sock all is well for now.
I did try a mid-weight sock under the thick sock and immediately felt the pain -- removed that first sock and all is well -- I guess the crease is still happening, but not deep enough to press on the toes unless I load the toe box too heavily. Thanks to the group for the earlier thoughts on this.

jalp

Post by jalp » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:05 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:03 pm
Just reporting back here on the Transnordic BC (as it might be relevant to other leather boot creasing).
I brought the boot to a leather boot shop; they put it on the stretcher at the crease at the small toes (pushing it out I guess). I then added a cheap insole to take up a little space, and with a thick sock all is well for now.
I did try a mid-weight sock under the thick sock and immediately felt the pain -- removed that first sock and all is well -- I guess the crease is still happening, but not deep enough to press on the toes unless I load the toe box too heavily. Thanks to the group for the earlier thoughts on this.
I'm pressed for time today so this won't be super detailed. The Transnordic is thermo-formable. There's a significant amount of plastic endoskeleton in these boots and as so, they respond very well to careful heating and forming. I used the cooking bag and boiling water method supplemented with hair dryer to heat them up. Built up the problem areas on my foot with 4 layers of moleskin, liner sock, and heavy sock.

The results were night and day. It's a totally different boot, custom fitted to my rather pork chop shaped feet. This also improved the BOF creases. If anyone is interested, I can do a more detailed writeup on this but that won't be until sometime next week.

Cheers!