A Little Love for Rex Universal

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

A Little Love for Rex Universal

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:57 pm

It’s been all of January. I’ve skied mostly powder snow, and air temps in the Fahrenheit teens. Last night it dropped to 2 F, was about 15 F when I went out. Wax of the day? Rex Universal tar wax is so good on powder snow for both grip and glide. Other than a little extra warmer wax in the pocket when conditions required, it’s all I’ve used since Christmas!
It is just a wonderfully effective and easy to use wax in fresher snow.
14C1023C-DA75-4B1A-97DA-880CAF618F41.jpeg
14C1023C-DA75-4B1A-97DA-880CAF618F41.jpeg

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: A Little Love for Rex Universal

Post by lowangle al » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:08 pm

That's quite the temperature range, no wonder you like it. Do you need to adjust how much you put on to cover that range?

freedom glider
Ski style: cross country, backcountry
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65
Favorite boots: nnn-bc

Post by freedom glider » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:59 pm

will give it a try. you put it in the grip zone only, right? over a base of polar?

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:29 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:57 pm
It’s been all of January. I’ve skied mostly powder snow, and air temps in the Fahrenheit teens. Last night it dropped to 2 F, was about 15 F when I went out. Wax of the day? Rex Universal tar wax is so good on powder snow for both grip and glide. Other than a little extra warmer wax in the pocket when conditions required, it’s all I’ve used since Christmas!
It is just a wonderfully effective and easy to use wax in fresher snow.14C1023C-DA75-4B1A-97DA-880CAF618F41.jpeg14C1023C-DA75-4B1A-97DA-880CAF618F41.jpeg
I didn't see that stuff at the shop when getting bindings the other day, maybe just missed it, but I did pick up a thing of Start Terva Blue. No chance to use it yet, but I have opened the lid several dozen times to sniff it. The guy at the shop also said he likes using tar for fresh snow. "If vodka, sauna and tar don't work, the disease is fatal." On a related note, have you ever had any tar candy before? That Finnish shop in Marquette doesn't have any, I don't think, altough they do have salmiakki...mmm.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:48 pm

@lowangle al I do adjust a bit, if temps are closer to 25F I might be 3 layers and extended towards the tip more, while at single digits it might just be a single layer in the wax pocket only. It just works so good in powder snow. It just needs to be a dust of powder and it grips and glides so well.
@freedom glider Yes, I use polar as my base. I never put my grip wax behind my heel, it doesn’t help grip or glide. I do often extend the wax, sometimes right to the tip to gain extra grip. However at 25F and below I don’t often find the need to extend the grip wax.
@mca80 that’s cool you live in an area with a good Nordic shop and tradition.
If anyone in the US is looking for a mail order (internet) shop with a HUGE selection of kick wax and klister I recommend Pioneer Midwest, out of Minnesota.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:45 pm

How do you apply the Miller High Life? Here in CO I like to apply Breckinridge after a ski on a tailgate and polish with some homemade trail mix. Works at any temp in the teens or above. As far as the Rex U, it’s worked pretty good breaking trail with some USGI on CO Champagne Pow.
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:06 am

Seems like I recall swix back in the 70's having a somewhat universal kick wax- one for above freezing and one for below freezing. Just had a look in the wax box and none there, so apparently I used them up or I am dreaming and there never was such a thing.
I am a big fan of start tar kick waxes for fresh powder, but have never tried rex kick wax. Looking forward to giving it a try.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:11 am

I'm keen to try this one; has anyone tried to stick a skin over this wax? Or does it behave like a softer wax and pulls off the ski together with the skin?

freedom glider
Ski style: cross country, backcountry
Favorite Skis: karhu catamount; asnes lillehammer MT-1; atomic outback tr; fischer e99 crown; asnes usgi/mt-65
Favorite boots: nnn-bc

Post by freedom glider » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:26 am

link. and currently on sale. just placed my order. thanks for the tip #fisheater.

https://www.pioneermidwest.com/rex-univ ... x-45g.html

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:32 pm

Roelant wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:11 am
I'm keen to try this one; has anyone tried to stick a skin over this wax? Or does it behave like a softer wax and pulls off the ski together with the skin?
It felt harder than I expected it to. Had no issue with a half skin over it.