Getting Xplore boots in the US, also XPLORE system question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Getting Xplore boots in the US, also XPLORE system question

Post by Stephen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:12 am

Disappointed to find that ALFA is sold out of many sizes in the various XP boots.
https://www.alfaoutdoor.com/pages/searc ... Gender_Men

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:46 am

Dxmetal wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:21 pm
Over at REI it looks like a lot of negative reviews of the Alpina Alaska (non XP model) about the sole glue coming undone ?? Any review of owners of the Alaska boots from the users here on the forum ?
I have heard of Alaska 75 boot’s soles cracking at the duckbill. Some have offered it may be the fit of the duckbill in Voile bindings versus the Rotte, and I tend to agree. My Alaska 75 is performing well, but I would be very disappointed if it failed at this point.
I ski my Alaska BC more. It has miles on it (and years), other than being comfortably broken in it is in great condition and performing well. I recommend the Alaska highly, with the caveat on the 75mm duckbill. Give me a few years before I say they’re fine in Rotte ST bindings.

Ira

Post by Ira » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:23 am

Thanks everyone!

Update: even though whenever I go to REI.com and search "Alpina Alaska" the XP doesn't come up (whereas the BC, 75, and Heat do), it turns out that they do have them at REI. I found out from Customer Service and the only way to find them was through this link which I'm sharing here (didn't show up on searches). They just have such low inventory that they didn't make it available in the search. The sizes and quantities are very limited:
https://www.rei.com/product/200164/alpi ... -ski-boots

So far no Alfa at REI. Also, no Excursion or S-bound 98 in 169 either.

Also, I realize I don't do difficult terrain, but for some reason NNNBC and my feet don't get along -- the only times I've ever tried NNNBC, I couldn't even do a simple snowplow. I find much better control with 75mm, so with XPLORE I'm hoping to have at least as much control as 75mm but with better K&G (for me, 75mm and NNNBC are greatly different when it comes to control and NNNBC is not an option).

Another question: if the XPLORE system gets installed on a pair of skis, does it damage or shorten the life of the XPLORE bindings to later move them to another pair of skis?

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:54 am

Ira wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:23 am
Thanks everyone!

Update: even though whenever I go to REI.com and search "Alpina Alaska" the XP doesn't come up (whereas the BC, 75, and Heat do), it turns out that they do have them at REI. I found out from Customer Service and the only way to find them was through this link which I'm sharing here (didn't show up on searches). They just have such low inventory that they didn't make it available in the search. The sizes and quantities are very limited:
https://www.rei.com/product/200164/alpi ... -ski-boots

So far no Alfa at REI. Also, no Excursion or S-bound 98 in 169 either.

Also, I realize I don't do difficult terrain, but for some reason NNNBC and my feet don't get along -- the only times I've ever tried NNNBC, I couldn't even do a simple snowplow. I find much better control with 75mm, so with XPLORE I'm hoping to have at least as much control as 75mm but with better K&G (for me, 75mm and NNNBC are greatly different when it comes to control and NNNBC is not an option).

Another question: if the XPLORE system gets installed on a pair of skis, does it damage or shorten the life of the XPLORE bindings to later move them to another pair of skis?
No

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:12 pm

Ira wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:23 am
...Also, I realize I don't do difficult terrain, but for some reason NNNBC and my feet don't get along -- the only times I've ever tried NNNBC, I couldn't even do a simple snowplow. I find much better control with 75mm, so with XPLORE I'm hoping to have at least as much control as 75mm but with better K&G (for me, 75mm and NNNBC are greatly different when it comes to control and NNNBC is not an option).
I think that the boot matters much more than the binding for turns/control, so make sure you get one that suits you and your use. I am satisfied with the Skaget boot and it sounds like it could suit you too. Fit is everything with shoes though, so see my comments in the Skaget thread:
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... 354#p47354

I think that you will not get a great improvement from your Alpina Alaska 75 by changing to Xplore and Alfa Skaget or Alpina Alaska XP. If you are happy with your boot and it is in good shape I'd not exchange it yet.

Rumors has it that next year Fischer, Crispi and even Lundhags will launch Xplore boots, so it might be worthwhile waiting. Then there will likely also be enough supply of Alfa boots as well. The binding may even be changed/improved, but we will see. This is the first year on the market, so improvements may well come. My only gripe with the system so far is that you have to check if the shoe is securely in the binding before starting skiing, as step in fails a bit too often, but I think that could also be improved.

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:15 pm

Ira wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 am
Hello community,
I've been waiting for REI to get the XPLORE boots (checking every day) with no success. Does anyone know the best place to get XPLORE boots in the US if REI keeps not having them? Or if they will actually have them soon?
I was at an REI yesterday and asked the ski shop tech about this. Unfortunately, he wasn't too sure as to what I was talking about and couldn't say whether REI would be getting a stock of Xplore system gear. Maybe I just asked the wrong person.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:30 pm

kumachan wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:15 pm
Ira wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 am
Hello community,
I've been waiting for REI to get the XPLORE boots (checking every day) with no success. Does anyone know the best place to get XPLORE boots in the US if REI keeps not having them? Or if they will actually have them soon?
I was at an REI yesterday and asked the ski shop tech about this. Unfortunately, he wasn't too sure as to what I was talking about and couldn't say whether REI would be getting a stock of Xplore system gear. Maybe I just asked the wrong person.
I spoke to REI yesterday too, I asked them about the Xplore bindings I returned several weeks ago (an order I cancelled before shipping but they did not stop it!) , they said they received them back but it takes up to 5 weeks to "process the return". F-REI they get worse and worse with each passing year. They are going to make me go completely Karen on them.