Sharpening edges on waxless skis.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bornaginalpiner
Ski style: Fall alot
Favorite Skis: Soft flex.
Favorite boots: The ones that fit.

Sharpening edges on waxless skis.

Post by bornaginalpiner » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:47 pm

Looking for help on sharpening edges on waxless skis. Searched the database and didn't find anything. I like to seki these inbound and don't want to damage the scales. When I started to run the tuning device down the edge, I noticed that it started hitting the scales about 6mm on each side. Also, since the scales raised the tuning device it isn't giving me the same edge angle under foot. Any suggestions?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Sharpening edges on waxless skis.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:53 pm

Save those skis for soft days and don't worry about them.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:59 pm

Sounds like the base is higher than the edge, and you certainly will not be grinding the base flat on a waxless ski. Why not just sharpen the side at ninety degrees, and use a diamond “stone” to remove any burr on the base side of the edge.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:00 pm

Or what Al said!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:13 pm

What has been said in the two posts above pretty much covers it, in my opinion. I don't concern myself much with tuning my BC skis; especially the waxless'.
I do tend to touch them up though, in which case I usually use a simple diamond stone to clean up the edges, eyeballing (and by feel) for a 90/90. Might also grab a 6" good quality file(mill bastard cut, probably) for the same routine. Keep the rust off, keep 'em deburred, mostly.

I do fully understand preferring a more detailed approach, in which case I'd suggest simply refining the same 90/90 routine with a finer stone after the diamond or file, and finishing with a gummy stone. Which would also serve well on a flat based resort tele ski.

bornaginalpiner
Ski style: Fall alot
Favorite Skis: Soft flex.
Favorite boots: The ones that fit.

Post by bornaginalpiner » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:31 pm

phoenix wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:13 pm
What has been said in the two posts above pretty much covers it, in my opinion. I don't concern myself much with tuning my BC skis; especially the waxless'.
I do tend to touch them up though, in which case I usually use a simple diamond stone to clean up the edges, eyeballing (and by feel) for a 90/90. Might also grab a 6" good quality file(mill bastard cut, probably) for the same routine. Keep the rust off, keep 'em deburred, mostly.

I do fully understand preferring a more detailed approach, in which case I'd suggest simply refining the same 90/90 routine with a finer stone after the diamond or file, and finishing with a gummy stone. Which would also serve well on a flat based resort tele ski.
I like the idea of just sharpening the outside edge and touching up the top. Not liking for perfection, just a way to keep an edge.

I do try to use them in soft snow but some days you don't get what you expect. Skied the same place today and yesterday. Yesterday was soft snow and great conditions. Today not so much. The snow is disappearing fast in S Central Pa. and the frozen tracks were aplenty.

Thanks for all responses. 👍