1st time waxing for ice/crust

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

1st time waxing for ice/crust

Post by mca80 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:47 pm

Y'all have been helpful so far. And while I understand my best learning will come by experimentation, figured I would get input before I head out tomorrow because I only have limited time to ski tomorrow, more time on Monday, if anyone responds before then. Was new to waxing as of a few months ago. Today was only 2nd or 3rd day above freezing since then. High was just above freezing; freezing rain then some rain then more freezing rain and probably an inch or two of snow coming overnight. Tomorrow will ski during blue/blue extra temps. Will this wax work well in this condition? Right now very, very slippery out, crust on the snow that breaks easily, not sure what it will be like when temps are mid 20s F. There was about 2ft base prior to rain. Skiing mostly gentle grade. Also, Nansen or Finnmark? Thanks.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: 1st time waxing for ice/crust

Post by lowangle al » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:44 pm

If you get the new snow you should be fine as long as it stays cold.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:46 pm

Blue Extra might work. I’m at the point, where I put on two thin coats of what I think will work. If it only slips a little, I’ll add more and extend the wax. The wax must show me something from the start, or I go warmer. However ice and wet are where klister shines.
I would go Swix Blue Extra, Start Violet Oslo and if that didn’t work, and I understand you conditions I would go to my midrange Rex Gold klister. Klister just works so good when wax does not.
Have baby powder to scrape afterward, or just lean those skis up against a wall somewhere and be amazed at klister’s ability to spread stickiness to distances greater than one can imagine!

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:58 pm

@fisheater what's the baby powder for? Haven't used klister yet, all I have is swix universal tube. Hoping to avoid klister with blue or violet. Never been waxing in icy warmer conditions though. Maybe we get the full 2 inches snow tonight and won't be an issue.

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:04 pm

Klister is gooey stuff, but it sure does work good. The easiest way to remove it is to sprinkle baby powder on the goo and scrape. Add baby powder and scrape as necessary. Once I open a tube of klister I store it in a zip lock with baby powder inside. The baby powder keeps my fingers from getting sticky and keeps things cleaner.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:18 pm

No baby powder per se on hand. Have a thing of gold bond for nether regions which is mostly talc so probably very similar, and corn starch. Would either suffice?

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:47 pm

Pretty sure modern baby powder is pretty smelling corn starch, in a convenient shaker bottle.
Real talcum powder was causing serious health problems for women, maybe men too!

mca80

Post by mca80 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:08 pm

Haha, gold bond never bothered me except for a tingling. Anyway forecast calls for 2.3 inches mixed precipitation overnight, so we'll see what conditions are. Dog didn't like it this afternoon running around the homestead while I was working wood so may have to leave him at home. I presume Nansen is going to be better for busting this crust than Finnmark?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:52 pm

Not to try and steer you away from klister (it is Nordic magic)-

It still winter where you are yes? (Wisconsin?) Is this icy, refrozen snow and crust is temporary?

If so- did you try a mohair kicker skin?

I always try my mohair kicker skin before resorting to klister...

Once I have made the decision to move to klister, I am committed full-on- including klistering for climbing grip (i.e. klister and skin adhesive are not friends!!!)
I love the performance of klister on icy refrozen snow, but there is no way I am stripping it off every time I need to use skins in my hilly terrain...Therefore, if I move to klister- it is is FULL-ON.

That being said- I am often pleased if not thrilled with the grip and glide of the mohair kicker skins in conditions that would call for klister K&G...

We had incredible conditions this morning- it snowed overnight- on top of very cold soft snow from earlier in the week (had been on Swix Green kick wax all week)-
moved to Swix Blue early in the day- BLUE HEAVEN
it really warmed up after noon and we got some ice and a bit of freezing rain- Blue kick was gone!!!
Slapped my mohair kicker skin and the grip and glide was SUPERB all afternoon!!
With cold weather and more fresh snow back on by Tuesday- no need for full-on klister!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:00 pm

mca80 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:08 pm
I presume Nansen is going to be better for busting this crust than Finnmark?
My Gamme 54 is better in breakable crust than my Nansen.
Less sidecut is better when XC skiing in breakable crust- the Amundsen is even better than the Gamme.

The waspier waist of the Nansen can on occasion cause the midsection and tail to break through- leaving the tip riding on top of the crust (i.e. breaking crust with the shovel rather than the tip) (BTW- this can happen occasionally with the Combat NATO as well...) That being said, the Nansen has a remarkably stable flex- and no tip rocker- you may find it to be just fine in a lot of breakable crust (i.e. not all crust is created equal!!)
Regardless- the Gamme is always better than the Nansen in crust...
HOWEVER- the Finnmark is not a Gamme- and the softer flexing shovel-tip of the edgeless Finnmark may lead to it riding on top of the crust...(i.e. your Nansen might be better).

The Gamme 54 has about as much rocker as a Nordic touring ski can get away with- and it wouldn't get away with it if the Gamme's shovel and tip were not as stiff as they are...

In the end- you will need to test both the Nansen and the Finnmark in breakable crust and report back to us!!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.