Powder Touring Ski? Voile Hyper V6 BC?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
esnichols1

Powder Touring Ski? Voile Hyper V6 BC?

Post by esnichols1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:03 pm

Hi There,

I wanted to see what folks recommend for touring in deep/soft powder.

I live in the Colorado Rockies and skate ski groomed trails most of the time. I have a pair of Asnes Nansens I use to tour through the woods when there is a bit of fresh snow. They are awesome in a few inches of powder, less so when more than that. I'm looking for a ski that would fit the 6-12 inch powder days.

A friend suggested I try the Voile Hyper V6 BC Ski. Unfortunately, I can't find any locally to demo, so I would have to get them blind. I wondered if anyone else skied in similar conditions and what they liked.

Here is one of my regular routes. Somewhat steep up, then rolling for a bit at the summit. I stick to stuff like this or through the woods. I avoid avalanche areas. AT skis may be overkill but maybe I'll try some uphill access days if I get them.

IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0634.PNG
Thanks!

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: Powder Touring Ski? Voile Hyper V6 BC?

Post by riel » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 pm

Skis like the Voile V6,the Altai Kom, or the Asnes Falketind XPlore are amazing for truly steep up and down skiing, touring for turns.

Your map suggests that the terrain you want to ski may be flatter than that. If the terrain is such that you'll be going straight most of the time, even on descents, a true cross country ski designed for deep snow, like the Asnes Ingstad, might be more efficient.

On the flip side, there is considerable overlap between the capabilities of the Nansen and the ingstad, while a Voile V6, Altai Kom, or Asnes Falketind XPlore would give you the ability to ski much steeper downhills than either Nansen or Ingstad would let you do easily. Those skis could expand the total capabilities of your quiver more than the Ingstad, because they do more things that the Nansen doesn't do.

You'll have to figure out if you want to make your current route more efficient, or if you want to expand your capabilities to potentially cover new, steeper, terrain in the future :)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:08 pm

My first question is what boot or boot type do you plan on using? If you plan on using leather the Falketind is both an XC ski although not in the same class as a Nansen, and a capable downhill ski. If you want to go T-4 the Vector is very capable, and reliable sources to me say they kick well

esnichols1

Post by esnichols1 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:00 pm

riel wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 pm
Skis like the Voile V6,the Altai Kom, or the Asnes Falketind XPlore are amazing for truly steep up and down skiing, touring for turns.

Your map suggests that the terrain you want to ski may be flatter than that. If the terrain is such that you'll be going straight most of the time, even on descents, a true cross country ski designed for deep snow, like the Asnes Ingstad, might be more efficient.

On the flip side, there is considerable overlap between the capabilities of the Nansen and the ingstad, while a Voile V6, Altai Kom, or Asnes Falketind XPlore would give you the ability to ski much steeper downhills than either Nansen or Ingstad would let you do easily. Those skis could expand the total capabilities of your quiver more than the Ingstad, because they do more things that the Nansen doesn't do.

You'll have to figure out if you want to make your current route more efficient, or if you want to expand your capabilities to potentially cover new, steeper, terrain in the future :)
Really good advice, thank you! That does seem to be the question. I'm inclined toward expanding my routes and quiver in a more meaningful way than the Ingstad's.

Will a wider more AT-oriented ski like the Voile (or others) give me any benefits going uphill in really deep powder? I've had days on the Nansen's where the powder was above my kneecap, maybe that's just the truth of those days regardless.

CMS
Ski style: Telemark
Favorite Skis: Voile V6
Favorite boots: The ones they haven't made yet.

Post by CMS » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:47 am

I now ski on a Voile V6 with Lynx bindings and boots are TX pros. That said if I didn't ski steep country, that being above 38*-40* degrees I would use much lighter equipment.

Before the V6 I was on the Voile Chargers @ 191cm and about 115mm under foot they were a lot of ski in the BC. Before the Chargers I skied the Karhu Jak BC @ 90mm under foot, with a hammerhead binding.

Before the Jaks I had K2 world piste and also a couple pairs of Salomon X mountains. I think those skis were about 70mm under foot.

I ski in the Northern Rockies, skis in that 60-70mm under foot would work great for what is pictured with an appropriate boot, just find longer skis which will be faster for a kick and glide but still float for trail breaking.

KDog
Ski style: Multi-Glisse

Post by KDog » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:41 am

For 6-12 inch days (or more even) I like my Fischer S-Bound 112's, especially for road approaches like your picture. 78mm under foot, floats well when breaking trail. Tracks pretty well on the flats. Enough shape for easy Tele turns in that depth snow and I've skied them on 30+ degree slopes. But they really shine on the 20-25 degree stuff you wouldn't target with your AT gear. In snow deeper than 12" it's personal preference I feel. Do you like to ski in the pow or float on top? I like skiing down in it.

All that said, the biggest advantage these skis have is, probably the best crown base on the market, and the ability to use both the Easy skin or the new full length Super skin when things get steeper or icy. My setup is T4/Excursion class boot and Voile Switchback bindings. The free pivot of the Switchback is critical to making flats bearable. By far my favorite ski set up these days. I probably log more time on these than all my other skis combined!

The Madshus Panorama M-78 is very similar. I owned them when they were the Annums. I like the Fischers quality and stiffness better.

dave52

Post by dave52 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:22 pm

esnichols1 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:03 pm
I live in the Colorado Rockies and skate ski groomed trails most of the time. I have a pair of Asnes Nansens I use to tour through the woods when there is a bit of fresh snow. They are awesome in a few inches of powder, less so when more than that. I'm looking for a ski that would fit the 6-12 inch powder days.
I just noticed this thread, wish I would've seen it before making a duplicate topic, whoops. I'm seeking the same wisdom and considering adding another ski, skiing similar conditions, probably a little flatter.
riel wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:22 pm

A wide ski appeals as double duty for the occasional rip down steeper terrain (somewhat out of the way, requires a drive, and it's midwest hills and glades), and more often trail breaking in deeper powder, 6-12" of freshness in flat to rolling hills. I currently have USGI 210cm and Ingstad 195cm. I've found trailblazing less enjoyable than I was hoping for when there's a heap of snow.

A setup of Altai Kom's @ 174cm with NNN-BC Fischer Transnordics has my attention; Kom's look like they have less side cut, possibly tracking straighter? Let me know if my hair brain idea is worthwhile, perhaps these skis are only worth it for more regular xcD.

Code: Select all

Altai Kom                  -  124  /   98  /  119
Fischer S-bound 112        -  112  /   78  /   95
Voile Hyper V6 @ 188cm     -  135  /  102  /  115
Asnes Falketind 62 Xplore  -  97   /   62  /   86
Asnes Rabb 68	           -  104  /   68  /   94

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:15 am

Dave, I think if you are going to go for a wide ski, the kom or ultra vector would be a better choice for you then the V6. I don't remember if you said you were looking for scaled ski or waxable base, I don't think the Rabb or Falketind have scales. I also don't think you get the full potential of the fat skis with anything less than a T4. I think a stiffer leather boot will work and you will be more stable then on a skinnier ski, but I don't think it would be worth spending the money on the Voiles when the Kom are a lot cheaper and help achieve your goal.

To the OP, from looking at your photo, if your skiing the trail the V6 is not the right ski. It would be a good ski to ski the steep trees coming down from the side though. If you were willing to spend the extra $ on the hyper V6 you might want to consider the hyper vector. It tours better than the V6 and is very light, it is what I use for XCd or xcD or just plain D.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:09 am

E99....They go up down and all around.....For that area they would zoom.....and when you feel comfortable and ready to stretch your Horizen's.......they can do the down wicked....TM

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:42 am

dave52 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:22 pm
...A setup of Altai Kom's @ 174cm with NNN-BC Fischer Transnordics has my attention...
Just a caution: hopefully others who have tried it will respond, but you might be under-powering a 100 underfoot ski, especially if conditions get variable, with NNN-BC (even with Transnordics). I have not tried it, so I might be wrong.