Åsnes Mountain Race Skin Sizing

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Åsnes Mountain Race Skin Sizing

Post by Woodserson » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:20 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:33 am

Also if you want a pair of these I'd nab them when you see them, because unless something's changed they're going to be phased out of the Åsnes line really soon, possibly even this season (2021 – 2022).
The SKIN or the 48 wax?

WHY

My WAX MR48 is perfect. For what it is designed to do, it is perfect. It's incredible and amazing. I can't believe how much I love it. Why would they get rid of it or monkey around with it? It is so clean and perfect-- no rocker, a bit of splay, good K+G, good turnability, ROCK STABLE at high speeds down hills when tucking and leaving eleven's, light as a feather, I absolutely am bonkers in love over this ski. goddammitalltohell and back. I can't believe it. I want another back-up pair in a 200 if anyone sees one somewhere!

Someone tell ASNES to not screw this up, it would be like getting rid of the Green Man graphic and putting some hobbit thing on it instead and using teal or other weird non-explorish colors.

As if this winter wasn't bad enough

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:58 am

beeeweee wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:48 pm
Overall, if someone is planning to spend the day in the tracks, I wouldn’t recommend something like the M50 or MR48, especially if you have proper XC race skis. But if your plans includes both trails with tracks and some off trail skiing, the appeal of the M50/MR48 is definitely there and would be worth the degradation of in-track skiing experience if it can extend your range and give you the float needed off the trail.
For icy tracks, Fischer Powerlite could be a good option, too. It is a race width ski with steel edges. XC width skis should work fine on springtime offtrack, too, and other hard snow. Unfortunately, it looks like no one sells the Powerlite outside Norway.

http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3559

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:30 pm

tkarhu wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:58 am
For icy tracks, Fischer Powerlite could be a good option, too. It is a race width ski with steel edges. XC width skis should work fine on springtime offtrack, too, and other hard snow. Unfortunately, it looks like no one sells the Powerlite outside Norway.

http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=3559
Thanks for the heads up on the Fischer Powerlite. I think if I wanted something skinnier, there’s also the Madshus Fjelltech M44. But for what I plan to do, which is skier tracked ungroomed trails, I’d want something a little wider.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:25 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:20 pm

Someone tell ASNES to not screw this up, it would be like getting rid of the Green Man graphic and putting some hobbit thing on it instead and using teal or other weird non-explorish colors.

As if this winter wasn't bad enough
Ha ha ha, yes, yes indeed, Woods, ha ha! Oh my god. A bold explorish blood-stained-snow, raw polar bear and penguin fat colour scheme will do. They could name it after this guy, maybe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eivind_Astrup

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:30 pm

beeeweee wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:48 pm

Overall, if someone is planning to spend the day in the tracks, I wouldn’t recommend something like the M50 or MR48, especially if you have proper XC race skis. But if your plans includes both trails with tracks and some off trail skiing, the appeal of the M50/MR48 is definitely there and would be worth the degradation of in-track skiing experience if it can extend your range and give you the float needed off the trail.
I think what made the ski so good for me in Jura was that we *planned* to spend all day in the tracks, but the fluctuating conditions where OP skis make it so plans go by the wayside pretty fast especially if you're covering any distance. Maybe the tracks are good at the Combe des Amburnex but its an ice luge track to the col and they didn't groom the route to Mollendruz because the end of the decent to the col didn't have enough snow even though the rest of the piste does. Probably 120 of the 140km we covered were tracked but I was so happy to be on my MR48s the whole time, especially when on refrozen gunk early in the morning.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:30 pm

Hey @beeeweee just curious why you would go with a MR48 skin when you already have the M50 with the skin? They seem like almost the same ski.

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:07 pm

spopepro wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:30 pm
I think what made the ski so good for me in Jura was that we *planned* to spend all day in the tracks, but the fluctuating conditions where OP skis make it so plans go by the wayside pretty fast especially if you're covering any distance. Maybe the tracks are good at the Combe des Amburnex but its an ice luge track to the col and they didn't groom the route to Mollendruz because the end of the decent to the col didn't have enough snow even though the rest of the piste does. Probably 120 of the 140km we covered were tracked but I was so happy to be on my MR48s the whole time, especially when on refrozen gunk early in the morning.
This is similar to what I have in mind as well but in the Canadian Rockies. Basically following skier tracked trails into the backcountry in rolling terrain and such.
wabene wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:30 pm
Hey @beeeweee just curious why you would go with a MR48 skin when you already have the M50 with the skin? They seem like almost the same ski.
The M50 that I have are on the short side for me at 177cm and it’s actually more for my partner. I was just testing it out last weekend but I have a pair of 190cm MR48 Skin coming this week for myself.

Peschamel
Ski style: XC, XCd attemps
Favorite Skis: Madshus BC 55; Madshus Endurace Classic; Fischer S-Bound 98
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Fischer RC3 Classic

Post by Peschamel » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:16 am

Thank you guys for all your wisdom and shared experiences!

I am not quite sure how to proceed now. The skis are meant for getting into the backcountry on groomed tracks and then head out in the unprepared areas and back. So a Mountainrace would make perfect sense. I have some Madshus Endurace Classic Skis with a Rottefella Move binding, which works quite good for me. For the Mountainrace Ski I planned to get a BC Binding but since I tried my Madshus 55 with BC binding and Alfa Guard Advance Shoes I noticed that I always get slowed down annoyingly because the side of the boot touches the side of the tracks. At present I am in Geilo Norway and experienced that the side walls are less steep in angle so BC shoes work better. Hovever only if the tracks are in good condition, e. g. prepared the same day.

In Switzerland groomed tracks seemed to be too narrow for BC shoes, so I think it will be of no use, using BC Shoes, when planning to be 50 percent on and off the tracks. Now I start to doubt, that I am much better off with Mountain Race NNN binding than with the Endurace NNN. Darn! What should I do? :D
Lykke til og god tur!

pmoakley
Ski style: Sketchy
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR 46

Post by pmoakley » Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:12 pm

spopepro wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:01 pm
Hi Peter,
I am 185cm and 80kg and I ski the MR skin in 210. I agree with Wooderson that mounted at BP they feel long, but I left mine where they are. They are a handful to turn but I have other skis for that. Otherwise they are perfect I think.

At the end of feb I took mine to Jura for 6 days, went La Givrine to Mollendruz for the first two days, then transferred to Chez Liadet and took 4 days down to Giron on the French side. Such a fun area to ski! The MR skin is just about the perfect ski for this area I think. It was good to benefit from the grooming when it was in, and not worry about it if it wasn't done or conditions were iffy.
To add a third concurring opinion to the mix here, I have the MR46 (orange ones) and mounted at the balance point they do feel like they ski long in front. I have them set up with NNN-BC but may remount with a NNN Turnamic style binding next year.

beeeweee

Post by beeeweee » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:58 pm

I just got my 190cm MR48 Skin mounted with the Rottefella Move Tune bindings this week and plan to take it out for a spin this weekend. It’s mid-April but it’s still winter in Canadian Rockies, at least along the continental divide and this is when the snowpack is normally the thickest and the most stable when the weather stays cool, so perfect for some backcountry touring.

I ended up getting the bindings mounted at the balance point because the Move Tune bindings have +24/-30mm of adjustment in 6mm increments. The Move Tune bindings are technically skate bindings whereas the Move Switch are for classic but have less adjustment range (+12/-24mm in 12mm increments). The Move bindings are modular and only the shift mechanism and flexor differs across the models so I just swapped a pair of Xcellerator classic flexors onto the skate flexors that came with the Move Tune and now I’m good to go.