Ski flying in usa

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Ski flying in usa

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:43 pm

bauerb

Re: Ski flying in usa

Post by bauerb » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:44 pm

I love the idea of bringing more attention to Olympic style jumping, but I don't understand the business case for reopening this jump. maybe they can do it as a non-profit through donations ?

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:35 pm

Ski jumping/ski flying got largely killed off in the USA in the 70s when mommies saw Vinko Bogataj in the agony of his defeat every Saturday for a whole decade. "Not my kid!".

Vinko was not hurt badly and kept ski jumping and coaching. He is a superb artist, painting his local Julian Alps in Slovenia in a somewhat cubist style.

US also has over-active liability lawyers which hamper a lot of things and make a lot of things prohibitively expensive.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:04 pm

I was in the "heyday" of my Nordic combined "career" during the 70's and 80's and watched the agony of defeat guy go careening off a wooden jump that looked exactly like the jumps I went off. to me it was simple: I'm not gonna be that guy...and never was. I bailed out when I was 13yo and had to jump the 70m in Lake Placid. I was scared to death...and wile waiting my turn I saw the amped 9-10yo kids behind me....thats when I knew I was done.