Telehiro in his own words

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Telehiro in his own words

Post by Capercaillie » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:43 pm

Yesterday Telehiro posted a new video of his first ski of the season:

In the video description he put a link to a new page on his web site about his "B-tele" ski technique, written in English:

https://www.otr.pxc.jp/~mahoroba/english.htm

I have tried to read the Club Mahoroba web site previously using automatic translation, but the translation did not work very well. All I know is that he also thought about naming his technique the "Ishikida turn" (not a bad idea). This new page has a lot in one place.

If you did not know, Telehiro operates a mountain inn and ski school business in Hakuba Valley. I would like to go on vacation there and attend Telehiro's classes.

Manney
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Telehiro in his own words

Post by Manney » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:06 pm

Great idea. You should go and report back. The only way to understand what he’s all about.

Makes way more sense than critiquing videos… especially when English translations are available. (We all have eyes and can watch, interpret on our own. Isn’t that the reason why video is used In the first place?)

https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... post125825

The videos sure are fun to watch tho… lots posted on Telehiro’s channel.

https://m.youtube.com/@telehiro
Go Ski

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:39 pm

That skidding video, and the text accompanying it, just changed my whole perspective on skiing.

Separating out speed control from turning, on a wide open alpine slope, is just not something I had ever considered. Absolutely brilliant.

Manney

Post by Manney » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:37 pm

Yeah, maybe that’s it. Its reading about what people take from it instead of ruining things with some clinical analysis. There are epiphanies for everyone… but not the same for any two people. That’s one of the beauties about recreational skiing… it’s a personal experience or journey. Not an ET or split.
Go Ski

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:33 am

Capercaillie wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:43 pm
In the video description he put a link to a new page on his web site about his "B-tele" ski technique, written in English:

https://www.otr.pxc.jp/~mahoroba/english.htm

I have tried to read the Club Mahoroba web site previously using automatic translation, but the translation did not work very well. All I know is that he also thought about naming his technique the "Ishikida turn" (not a bad idea). This new page has a lot in one place.

If you did not know, Telehiro operates a mountain inn and ski school business in Hakuba Valley. I would like to go on vacation there and attend Telehiro's classes.
Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of it before. It appears that his writings are a collection of snippets he had previously written in Japanese. Though his explanations have sometimes changed, the fundamental style of his writing has remained largely unchanged. His lodge is situated in Hakuba, Nagano prefecture and draws a significant number of foreign visitors from Australia, North America and Europe. You can easily obtain travel information for the area.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

Manney

Post by Manney » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:44 am

Funny to read the post below. Almost spit out my morning coffee laughing…
IMG_1041.jpeg
So 177 posts in a thread nit picking a video. Only to end up saying that differences “may be very hard to visually distinguish”. What irony.

If there’s any line that throws shade on an armchair ski instructor dissecting a video, and the insanity of giving ski lessons on the internet, it’s this. Some ppl understand this.
IMG_1043.jpeg
https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... post125867

On a more encouraging note, @Capercaillie really should go and take a course from Telehiro. Lots of people on the forum from his area. He could bring back lessons for the albertatele community. Directly gained knowledge on how it’s done in Japan would be a real plus.
Go Ski

FrenchFred
Ski style: Cross Country Downhill - Mainly downhill
Favorite Skis: FT62, K2 Backlite 74
Favorite boots: Alaska NNNBC, Alpha Free XP

Post by FrenchFred » Thu Nov 16, 2023 3:31 pm

Hy all
I think that telehiro technic is a great way to enjoy soft shoes riding, by changing a weakness in a big stength !
With soft shoes, you can't edge as well as with a hard boot. So skidding is the way to ski. That's pure logical.
Having the "Wikipedia" of telehiro technic is very kind from him, and I'm glad to challenging myself this winter in order to well feel his advices.

So thanks all, I will ski with my feel and my mind ant that will be a great and fun time on the snow. Lot of motivation here.

If it's not fun, you are not doing it right :D
Fred

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:53 pm

∆∆∆ 👍👍👍

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:50 am

The BCT thread actualiy includes descriotions of many drills, too. Which means active mobility exercises that you can do without skis and snow.

I have collected a set of those exercises for my personal use, and started to make use of them. Combined with some stuff from physiotherapy ankle rehab.

There are different ways of learning, you do not necessarily need face-to-face communication for it. But for sure you benefit from listening to people more skilled than you, and trying out their stuff, putting it into practice yourself. In the end, may doing yourself be the only way how to learn to put anything into practice?

Thanks @Capercaillie for the link! I have to study the page carefully. And thanks @CIMA for all the info on the other thread.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:18 am

@tkarhu
If you have experience with cross-country (XC) walking, you may have already developed a sense of balance and an awareness of changes in foot pressure, which can be advantageous when learning a new technique. You will likely find several commonalities between the two skiing styles.
Keep in mind that your goal is within reach! :)
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.