All purpose backcountry/bushwack ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: All purpose backcountry/bushwack ski

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:21 pm

lilcliffy wrote:Ben- yes totally agree...the standard cables are so non-versatile aren't they? I use 3pc bindings but only use them on steep downhill runs. They are brutally inefficient climbing and XC touring. I have tried the Switchback binding a few times- the free pivot climbing mode is pretty cool- but they don't offer the XC freedom, and flex of the regular 3pin for XC touring. IMHO the 3pin-cable binding is still the most versatile XCD-light telemark binding.

Just so I am clear- what I meant is that I use the cables exclusively for downhill stability (when I need/want it!)

I would never tour with the cables on- I can barely stand touring in plastic boots at all- let alone with cables attached.

I also second Ben's comment from another thread- I don't find a binding like the Switchback versatile at all...IMO they are a yo-yo telemark binding: climb-turn; climb-turn; climb-turn...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:26 pm

lilcliffy wrote: Just so I am clear- what I meant is that I use the cables exclusively for downhill stability (when I need/want it!)

I would never tour with the cables on- I can barely stand touring in plastic boots at all- let alone with cables attached.

I also second Ben's comment from another thread- I don't find a binding like the Switchback versatile at all...IMO they are a yo-yo telemark binding: climb-turn; climb-turn; climb-turn...
Well, appears we come from the same planet! I'm assuming you got to see a lot of that nice eastern snow melt today too. How did that feel? :?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:43 pm

BLAH! :cry: :evil:

I am afraid I am going to have to start to admit that Spring is here!

I didn't even get out today on the snow (I am away overnight on a course for work).

The spring skiing this week- at least up until yesterday- has been excellent though- been on my Eons- variable spring snow, but still relatively soft, fast and grippy! Absolutely flew on a ~20km tour through hardwood ridges last Saturday!

ddg

Post by ddg » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:46 pm

My kids and I have a word to describe the feeling: BLECH! (with soft "ch" as in "la leche leaque"). However, just about every other person around here is more or less angry about the amount of snow we've had ans still have. :-)
Derrick

ddg

Post by ddg » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:06 pm

About boot sizing... Since the 28 T4s are just a bit tight I am guessing that a 28 or 28.5 Excursion would fit fine. AFAIK, the Excursion 28 and 28.5 are the same shell just different liners, so even a 28.5 would be fine - just add an extra insole if necessary. More padding for my tender feet. :)
Derrick

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:08 am

ddg wrote:About boot sizing... Since the 28 T4s are just a bit tight I am guessing that a 28 or 28.5 Excursion would fit fine. AFAIK, the Excursion 28 and 28.5 are the same shell just different liners, so even a 28.5 would be fine - just add an extra insole if necessary. More padding for my tender feet. :)
The 28.5 will be the widest too.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:17 am

Since the 28 T4s are just a bit tight I am guessing that a 28 or 28.5 Excursion would fit fine.
The fit is very different... For instance, the T4 in 25 MP is perfect for me... The Ex in 25: too big... Mainly because of shell break. Be careful in your choice... Why not stick with the T4; a better boot in my view... but I know it has a lot to do with fit also...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:19 am

First hardpack of the year....Hope it's hardpack....Gonna be an e99 or 109 day....Will see...TM

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:34 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Why not stick with the T4; a better boot in my view... but I know it has a lot to do with fit also...
I am with you Rodbelan- expecially in the context that "ddg" wants to ski in- climbing and turning performance appear to be his focus.

ddg

Post by ddg » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:00 am

Why not stick with the T4; a better boot in my view...
It's a good point but I found the T4 quite a bit stiffer than I was hoping for. I will definitely be skiing on flats and knolls with these in addition to hills so that extra rigidity of the T4 will be a hindrance. From all that I've read the Excursion sounds like that sweet spot that I am looking for. Sizing is my only concern and I think :!: I am confident that a 28/28.5 Excursion will be fine given the fact the I need a 28.5/29 in the T4. Just going with the "you need one size up in the T4" experience I have just had.
Derrick