Repairing a hole in a bellow...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Repairing a hole in a bellow...

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:46 pm

I found a pair of TRace with a hole in the bellows. I wonder if it can be repaired. I am thinking of using the sort of plastic rods that are used for soldering a leak in plastic kayaks... Or maybe the west system G/flex epoxy... it sticks to plastic and stays a little flexible... Any thoughts?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Repairing a hole in a bellow...

Post by connyro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:03 pm

I chopped the bellow on one of my Syner-G boots with the edge of my ski and opened up a sizeable hole. I tried many repairs and all failed except for SuGru (https://sugru.com/). It dries into a flexible solid with great adhesion with the bellow material. My repair with SuGru has lasted for several seasons and is still holding. It is handy to have some around as I've repaired sidewalls, bases, and topsheets with it too.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 am

Neat stuff! I'll certainly give it a try... In your R&D approach, did you try G/Flex?
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

connyro

Post by connyro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:03 am

No, I did not try G/Flex but it looks like it might work. Flexible is good but it really needs to bond well with the bellow because when the bellow is flexed and the patch gets crushed in the folds of the bellow, it tends to get pushed out of the hole. I applied a blob of epoxy on the inside of the bellow, then added some more epoxy to the hole and then a final blob on the outside of the bellow which I believe helps hold the patch in place during flexing of the bellow. Good luck!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:31 am

Rodbelan wrote:Neat stuff! I'll certainly give it a try... In your R&D approach, did you try G/Flex?
I've used G/Flex to repair Royalex boat hulls and delaminated skis. Great stuff but doubt it would be flexible enough to repair a tele bellow. Sugru seems really cool!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 pm

It's good to fix things, but I don't think you would notice a small whole. I get snow in my boots from the gap between the lower boot and the cuff. I don't know how it gets in there but my liners are wet on the outside by my ankles, but I don't notice it while skiing.