Tuning waxless skis?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Tuning waxless skis?

Post by Johnny » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:34 am

I have 3 pairs of waxless skis that would really need some tuning. Have you ever been able to sharpen the edges without destroying the fishscales? It seems impossible on all my skis... Unless I use a 10 degree bevel... All the patterns are just a bit higher than the edges...

I know it sounds weird and it shouldn't matter much in the BC, but I really like using my waxless skis at the resort... (Very useful to travel between lifts without ticket checkers... 8-) )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Re: Tuning waxless skis?

Post by Raventele » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:09 am

On my Alpinas, no problem..even if you scape off the
scales a bit, big deal! You won't notice climbing but they might
go smoother! I sharpen mine 1 or 2x per/season -- with one of
those cheap little red units..25 bux..
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:52 pm

I would feel bad scraping the scales on the only two pairs of brand new skis I ever bought in my entire life... 8-)

I was thinking about building a sort of inverse guide for side edging thingies... But my brain still can't figure it out...

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Just tune the sides and carefully use a flat file on the bases so as to avoid
the scales..
Bases basically flat..like old school..prob won't notice the lack of precision on the bases..

Rickster

Post by Rickster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:35 pm

Your post got me thinking :idea: as to how I might dress the edges of my Vector BCs. After three seasons, they certainly need it. I"ve a set of jeweler's files and the flat file should be just about right for filing along that narrow strip of steel without filing along the scales. Time consuming compared a proper edge tuner. But, it may just do the trick.
"There's a whole lot of reward on the other side of risk."

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:19 am

Hey Rickster,

Do you mean like, just using those fine files without any guide/support for that area? Placing the file lengthwise, using only the edge itself as the guide?

I was able to do a (not too) cool job by using a bevel of about 2-3 degrees on the fishscales... I just destroyed a small bit of the pattern on purpose on the sides... Doesn't change much... But totally worth having semi-sharp edges...

Why don't they think about that? It wouldn't take much to make the waxless pattern 1-2mm lower... It wouldn't hurt the grip at all...

Anyway, I was thinking about grinding the whole waxless pattern a few years ago... I need a pair of all those great skis in both waxless AND waxable versions... 8-)

pin!head

Post by pin!head » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:57 am

Waxing fishscales made easy. Jarlybart has a good viddy you can search up. He warms the wax on the iron then rubs tip to tail on the scales a couple times, then comes back with the iron tip to tail on the scales while using a paper towel like a Zamboni wiping side to side on the scales wiping the small amt of wax off the top of the scales. This leaves no wax in/under the scales only on the surface. Proven goodness.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Just rub some maxiglide on the scales and call it good..hot wax the tips and tails..
waste a lot less wax!

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:19 pm

Yeah I know, that towel trick is pretty cool... I do it two times a year with yellow wax... Then some Swix Easy Glide every 2-3 days...

Sometimes I just fill the fishscales with hot wax, when I know I'm not gonna use them for climbing... They go much faster this way...

Rickster

Post by Rickster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:09 am

LoveJohnny wrote:Hey Rickster,

Do you mean like, just using those fine files without any guide/support for that area? Placing the file lengthwise, using only the edge itself as the guide?…………..

I need a pair of all those great skis in both waxless AND waxable versions... 8-)
Yes, the files are very fine toothed, so it's time consuming. But, got the job done reasonably well. I don't use my Vector BCs on much hard pack and never on ice, so the edges haven't gotten too worn in three seasons. I did have to pull out a small stone to dress the various edge nicks and burrs.

I too liked the way the Vector BC skis, so I just got an addtional pair of Vectors sans the waxless base. 8-)
"There's a whole lot of reward on the other side of risk."