Mounting 3 pin bindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Mounting 3 pin bindings

Post by fisheater » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:09 pm

binding photo.png
Thanks for all the help. The skis arrived last night. They definitely are a true x-country ski. I will follow the advice here and mount on the BP. My favorite epoxy is JB-Weld, it is a 24 hour cure. I used it to repair a cracked exhaust manifold once. It held for a couple of years, I ended up selling that truck. I guess it should hold a few screws. It will be interesting to see how I can make them turn. They definitely should K&G better than the S-bounds. I wish the S=bounds had as beefy an edge as the USGI Combat skis do. It has been icy at the ski hill when I take my son, I wouldn't mind touching the edges on the S-bounds with a file, but they are a little thin for my tastes.

The photo shows my solution for my son's boots for the rest of the year. I believe it is the binding originally spec'd for this ski. A ski shop a couple hours north of me has it. I will pick it up next week when I need to go north for snow. I do not think he will get much use out of it, but the shop is selling it to me for less than a day's rental. I think it is pretty cool, although since it is strictly a cable the kick and glide would be tiresome after a while. My son is only interested in short loops now, so I will give it a try for this year. I might see how it handles a blue or green if it feels good on the trail. Thanks again for the help.

I am skiing my first local snow of the year in the morning! We have about 10"-12". I will enjoy it all I can, it is going back up into the forties tomorrow afternoon and flirting with fifty Sunday :cry:

MikeK

Re: Mounting 3 pin bindings

Post by MikeK » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Those should mount right into the pre-drilled holes I believe.

Those skis can turn. Boy not anything compared to your S Bounds though :lol: On hard snow they are really a bear for me. Once I had them in some fresh they were a lot better. Gripped better, easier to control, etc. They do OK as a K+G ski in a track too I think.