Tele musc

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Tele musc

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 am

MikeK wrote:
Whoa man. Talk about being cut from the same cloth.

I played in a Celtic rock band for a bit, but I always favored metal (or blues). Soundgarden changed my perspective on music too. While Nirvana and Pearl Jam were more popular of that era (and I had the discs), I was always a Soundgarden guy at heart. It was Badmotorfinger that changed me. It was metal, but not really. Being a big Metallibanger before them, it was the next step of evolution for my musical taste. This was all in HS for me. I'd guess around 1993-4? Badmotorfinger was old news then but it never really hit the east coast until later on.

I got onto a huge Bob Dylan kick in college - it's still a staple for me. The older I get, the more I really got into other music. Old blues, old R&B, old Rock, old Country.

Still to this day the best show I've seen is the Rolling Stones. Saw them in HS on the Voodoo Lounge tour. Didn't even know I liked them until after that concert. I'd grew up hearing everything they played and just never connected with it. Then it hit me. Holy fuck! There is a reason they are still doing it. Absolute masters. Still, the Mick Taylor years are the best IMO. They should have never ditched him.
Awesome.

Soundgarden really is a metal band. Their first couple of albums (Ultramega OK, Louder Than Love) had a fundamental influence on "Grunge" (Kurt Cobain claimed that it was early Soundgarden concerts that inspired him to make music). But the boys of Soundgarden obviously wanted to be a metal band- it just took a few years for them to develop the technical competency to play the music that they heard in their heads!

I did listen to early Soundgarden in high school- "Hands All Over" is still one of my favourite songs- but it wasn't until they could pull off Badmotrfinger that they really filled my mind.

I have never officially played in a band. I played music with a close group of friends in high school- I was much too shy to perform in front of others at that age. I played predominantly traditional and folk music in university- and did get comfortable with performing. Then I spent several years working in camps that pretty much restricted me to acoustic music. Since I have had children I do not have the time to be in a band- I don't know how people do it- unless the band pays the bills!

You know- I have never seen the Stones in concert. My closest friends went to see them about a decade ago in Moncton- and reported a similar awe-inspiring experience.

I don't think that I have enjoyed a large rock concert in almost 20 years- way too many people and too much noise for me to enjoy the music or the company.

I increasingly find it difficult to even enjoy local live music any more. Maybe I'm getting to old for it- but I remember being able to go and listen to live music in small venue (like a pub) and still be able to enjoy company and conversation. The music and production keeps getting louder and louder. I love listening to deafening music- but not when I am also trying to visit with my friends!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:07 am

Most fun I have playing music is just 'effin off with family or friends. I suspect when your kids get a little older you'll have a band of your own. It's a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Being in a band and performing is too much honestly. Too much work lugging gear, setting up, practicing, etc... you lose the joy of playing music. I never much liked performing live, but I liked recording even less. Love running a board, hate trying to get the sound I want to come out of the monitors and playing it perfectly.

If you are being creative and playing with people you really enjoy playing with, then I see it as being totally worth it. But that usually will consume you more than anything else.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:00 pm

HELL yeah Soundgarden! Chris Cornell is a personal hero of mine, so is Layne Staley from Alice in Chains. Of course only up until Badmotorfinger after which they went commercial, who can blame them, how long would Chris's voice have held out that way!!

I would have to say I like AIC as much as Soundgarden though. Also all the off-shoots they did like Temple of the Dog, Mad Season, Singles soundtrack, etc. Mother Love Bone another great band. These guys are all about my age and that's my "day" - early 90's so I'll always feel a special connection to this music.

I saw an incredible Lollapalloza in RI in the early 90's with AIC, Rage against the Machine, and several other killer bands in their prime. I'll never forget it. Definitely a generational high-water mark. whoa, I found it - 1993 - check it out:

Main Stage: Primus, Alice in Chains, Dinosaur Jr., Fishbone, Arrested Development, Front 242, Babes in Toyland (first half), Tool (second half), Rage Against the Machine

Side Stage: Tool, Redman, Sebadoh, Cell, Unrest, Mercury Rev, Mosquito, Free Kitten, Royal Trux, Tsunami, Mutabaruka, The Coctails, Scrawl, Luscious Jackson, Genitorturers, Truly, Eggs, Girls Against Boys, Thurston Moore, A Lighter Shade of Brown, Glue, The Karl Hendricks Trio, Hurl, The Goats, The Runties, Ethyl Meatplow,Nature Boy[Knoc-turnal] Fifth Column
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Heavy metal might be good for the NTN or Hammerhead set on 5 crowd, but for a meadow skipper like myself anything more than 4 people playing acustic instaments is overkill.

In the words of Steve Goodman " Give me some words I can dance to or a melody that rhymes"

jzahnny

Post by jzahnny » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:15 am

lowangle al wrote:Heavy metal might be good for the NTN or Hammerhead set on 5 crowd...
I think Harris's Outlaws might go to 11 :twisted:

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:19 am

I hear that too Al. Still enjoy the acoustic instruments a lot.

I can go any which way: A harmonica and an acoustic guitar is fine by me, but so are humbuckers and Marshalls cranked to 11.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 am

Grandpa's Guitars:

[video][/video]

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:20 am

HAHAhahahahaha. That's gotta be the first and only Dethklok reference on a tele forum ever.

"What are those wooden things? Chairs?"

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:48 am

For those of you not in the know, Dethklok is a fictitious (and real) death/speed metal band. They have come to Finland to apologize for destroying the country once before, and naively awaken a Lake Troll upon their return:

[video][/video]

and here's the whole track:

[video][/video]

which is typical of them. And they typically kill/destroy everything in their wake (except themselves somehow) and refer to things as being 'metal'.

jzahnny

Post by jzahnny » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:55 am

Dragged Into Sunlight, anyone?