How to XCD on NNN/SNS?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Re: How to XCD on NNN/SNS?

Post by Raventele » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:17 am

CIMA wrote:Ron,

As fo XCD gear, I'm going to comment in the next post.
BTW, are you going to try XCD again?
CIMA wrote:If you're more interested in XCD and get the urge to ski like the guys on the scene, you're a type of person who could share enjoyment with us after having learned the basics of XCD. So please go on to read following snippets. On the other hand, if you were turned off or stirred scary emotions by the video, we'd like to recommend you to return where you belong. :)
TeleMarcin,

Thanks for such informative link! :)
That'll be sure to save a lot of energy of mine to spare time for writing some routines.
Cima, my current XCd is usually Alpina lite Terrains , 3PC and, generally T4's .. And granola bars :lol:
Generally, I will go to a very nice local Nordic area and ski between the trails through the trees and meadows...
Or sometimes I climb closed ski areas..just like you all ..And sometimes I even ride lifts and ski my hidden sidecountry gems. I feel like an apostate! :lol: But I am seriously interested in your TECHNIQUE.
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Post by Krakus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:50 pm

I have been learning XCD-skiing on NNN-BC setups (with old Tuas and Glittertinds) for a couple of years, but I am still far from being happy with my skill...Here are some examples of my efforts

https://picasaweb.google.com/karrodunon ... 8478994114
https://picasaweb.google.com/karrodunon ... 0381073874

Krakus

Post by Krakus » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:01 pm

CIMA wrote: Length
In the case of cross country ski (XC), it has been usually said to choose skis longer than your body length by a range of 5.9 to 11.8 inches (15 to 30 cm).
If you walk on mild hills and traverse their slopes more often than you descend with making turns, then you can follow the guide above. However, if descending the slopes is your main concern, consider choosing shorter ones. In my case, I like the ones a little shorter than my body length.
The longer the skis become, the more directional (hard to turn) they get. Also in backcountry the shorter ones increase mobility. The longer ones get more flotation on powder, but you can gain it by increasing width also.
You do not consider skier weight in choosing ski lenght? It seems to me that selection based on body height works only for those of average body build.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:17 pm

Welcome aboard Krakus!

Woah... That's some nice shots! Thanks for sharing! Where are you located exactly?

Don't think about your skills... Just think about the fun you're having when you ski... Skills are totally optional... 8-)

Try to keep your upper body facing downhill all the time, turn only with your lower body... And keep your tele stance a little bit longer at the end of your turns...

Of course weight is important when choosing the right ski. But length and style and body and camber are just as important. I always try to "feel" the ski in my head before buying it. I try to imagine the ski length underneath my feet. Sounds weird, but it works!

I'm 6'1, 160lbs and for XCD on skinny skis (Glittertinds & Karhu XCD GT), something around 205cm seems the best for me. A bit shorter, around 180cm for larger (Guides/Annum/10th Mtn/Epochs) skis...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Ron,

This thread may not be right place for 3-pin fanatics. ;)

Krakus,

Welcome!
And thanks for sharing your videos.

You seem to be a fully-fledged XCD skier already.
If I am on such long skinny ones with shouldering a big backpack, I cannot make turns so well as you do. :)

As for weight, it may affect when you walk or descend on consolidated snow due to the flexure of the camber. But it may not do so much on soft snow. If you can try test run on different XCD skis, check the stiffness of the camber. If you don't like braking caused by the fishscales very much, choose stiffer skis. However, on another point of view, too much brake on descend means good grip on ascend. We should find a trade-off point somewhere between. The stiffness would affect the feeling on power also. I like Fischer's and Rossignol's very stiff cambers in whole.

LJ,
LJ wrote: Don't think about your skills... Just think about the fun you're having when you ski... Skills are totally optional...
Couldn't agree more!
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

CIMA

Post by CIMA » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:53 am

Snippet 05: Basics (part 1 of 2)

If you have a solid background of XC already, skip this post.
If you're an AT or telemark skier, the followings may be of some help to you.

In XCD, you cannot rely on the gear so much as you did in other ski styles.
Then, balance matters? Well, that is true, but before jumping on the Slacklines, you should check how much you had been got support from the gear previously.

One of the best ways to know yourself may be to run on the track for the cross country ski on normal XC gear. A full-scale track designed for XC racing would be better because you'll find steep slopes and difficult curves there. If you're new to XC, you'll have a very bad hair (or butt) day. :)

The reasons why you have had such a miserable day on the XC skis are not only because you don't have good senses of balance nor have you specific techniques of XC. I'd like to comment about the following point most folks overlook.

Many of us have lost the senses of our soles. Thanks to comfortable shoes, limitless pavements and increasingly sedentary life, there are few places for us to give our foot full play. As a result our soles have got almost numb. To check that, try pinching your toes one by one. Do you feel as vividly as you pinch your fingers? Many would find that their fourth and fifth toes have lost senses. The fifth toe is said to be strongly connected to the sense of balance in whole.

To wake your hibernating soles up, do some training. Taking a barefoot walk on the beach or going hiking on shoes with thin rubber soles would be good examples. In winter, just walking on normal XC skis on soft snow is good enough for calling back your senses of soles.

After performing above exercises, take a look at the techniques of XC and try some of them. (Thanks, TeleMarcin!)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Many of us have lost the senses of our soles. Thanks to comfortable shoes, limitless pavements and increasingly sedentary life, there are few places for us to give our foot full play
CIMA, you are my new best friend. You are the friend I've been waiting all my life! Words are unnecessary, we think the same things... I'm so glad to see I'm not the only freak who hikes mountains barefoot... 8-)

It's ALL in the toes. It's ALL in the foot itself. This is why I always tell people to drop their plastic boots for one day if they really wanna learn...

I BELIEVE IN NNN! I BELIEVE IN SNS! I BELIEVE IN BIRKENSTOCKS!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Krakus

Post by Krakus » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:08 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:Where are you located exactly?
Poland, as Telemarcin, but I live in southern part, Krakow.
I'm 6'1, 160lbs and for XCD on skinny skis (Glittertinds & Karhu XCD GT), something around 205cm seems the best for me.
I remember discussion with Steve Barnett on old TT forum, and for XCD he recommended using Glittertinds much shorter than in Madshus tables - 190 cm for him, 84 kgs.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:09 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:
Many of us have lost the senses of our soles. Thanks to comfortable shoes, limitless pavements and increasingly sedentary life, there are few places for us to give our foot full play
CIMA, you are my new best friend. You are the friend I've been waiting all my life! Words are unnecessary, we think the same things... I'm so glad to see I'm not the only freak who hikes mountains barefoot... 8-)

It's ALL in the toes. It's ALL in the foot itself. This is why I always tell people to drop their plastic boots for one day if they really wanna learn...

I BELIEVE IN NNN! I BELIEVE IN SNS! I BELIEVE IN BIRKENSTOCKS!
But you left out Santa Claus, LJ! :lol: :lol:
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

CIMA

Post by CIMA » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:14 pm

LJ,

Restoring the lost senses of toes is not so easy.
I'm flexing my toes at their first MP joints as one of my daily routine workouts.

(Dr. Chris Chiodo)