Crispi joining Xplore train

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Re: Crispi joining Xplore train

Post by wabene » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:37 am

12gaugesage wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:53 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:24 pm
Cool!
That damn "futura" better have lacing cleats to the top of the leather...

Unless the exoskeleton on the Svartisen is tightened-right-up (which is terrible for XC mode), the Svartisen has no support above the ankle-

Without the exoskeleton tightened-up the Svartisen has less support that many other less sophisticated BC-XC touring boots (e.g. Alaska, Guard, Stetind)..

The exo cuff on the Svarti is pretty noodly too, I thought the cuff on the old Fischer BCX6 was stiffer laterally.
Basically everyone is just resoling their NNNBC boots to Xplore. Kinda lame
Experiences are different for everybody I guess because I don't agree with either of these takes. The flexibility of the leather upper on the Svartisen is exactly what makes it so versatile. With the upper strap loose it is great for k & g. If you did feel the need for another cleat your local cobbler could add one for about 10 bucks.
I had and sold the Fischer BCX 6. Now that was a terrible lacing system. The cheap plastic strap and cuff were no where near as effective as the much more robust carbon exoskeleton on the Svartisen in my experience. I sold the Fisher because it was heavy, the lacing was poor and the plastic cuff ineffective. It did have a nice stiff sole, but no way to put it to use.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:03 am

The design of the Fischer BX6 changed a number of times over the years- and the effectiveness and functionality of the lacing system has definitely varied greatly (we have had two different versions here)-
I have never been terribly impressed with any of them- and I have never been impressed with the quality and durability of any Fischer boot, including the new models.

@wabene I agree with you- the design, materials and support of Crispi's exoskeleton are superior vs Fischer's on the BCX6.
I have tried to get my local cobler to add lace cleats and/or eyelets in the upper section of the Svartisen boots- he has responded with all kinds of reasons for why it won't work- but, I am not overly impressed with my local cobbler.

My current assessment is that one would have to cut and insert lace eyelets into the upper of the Svartisen, as lace cleats would interefere with the upper exoskeleton- and perhaps create pressure points underneath it...
And for eyelets to work the upper tongue would have to be separated...

Anyway- regardless- great that you like the design of the lacing system on the Svartisen!
Crispi makes beautiful, durable boots.
I personally was hoping for a redesign that allow for normal lacing of the boot up to the top, and the extra stability of the exoskeleton- when desired.
I only want to tighten down the exoskeleton for a siginifcant descent-
but, without the ability to fully lace it up- the Svartisen has otherwise very little support-
with the rugged terrain I ski in- I find myself constantly wanting to adjust the straps (which are underneath gators)-
anyway, for my local BC touring I find the design doesn't really work well- kind of annoying actually.
Would be less annoying if I wasn't wearing gators- but, there is too much snowfall and too much dense forest to not wear gators around here.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

znkr

Post by znkr » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:37 am

The two Crispi models are now presented as Futura Pro XP GTX and Futura XP GTX on the Rottefella website: https://rottefella.com/en_GB/xplore-partners-en

Theme
Ski style: Nordic BCX
Favorite Skis: Still searching
Favorite boots: Alfa Outback 2.0
Occupation: Hiker trash, gear junkie, ski bum and anything inbetween

Post by Theme » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:07 am

I just briefly tried both of these on at a shop. Demo pairs, more arriving next week. Definitely true to size. I found the Futura XP more comfortable than Alpina Alaska XP or Alfa Vista. But that is just my foot. Will get a pair if Pioneer Pro & Tech do not end up working for me.

The Futura Pro felt like I had a cast around my foot. Very stiff. Sole felt a bit more stiff than the Futura. But the leather outer was a bit more stiff which may make the difference. The rarchet did kind of push against my ankle bones on the outer side, and I did not have it very tight.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:34 am

@Theme
Thank you for the report on these boots!!

(I tried on the Pioneer Pro last night in my local shop- like them, but am not crazy about the fit for me...)

Anyone know where the Crispi Futura/Pro XP boot are for sale?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:18 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:34 am

Anyone know where the Crispi Futura/Pro XP boot are for sale?
In Norway apparently 15 November. I've seen the Futura pro XP for a higher recommended retail price than the Alfa Free, meaning it should better be good.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:05 pm

My local store had a pair of Crispi Futura Pros available, but my size was not available yet. The boots felt sturdy and light. They seemed a lot more roomy than a pair of Alaska XP’s next to them. Seller sait that the Futura Pro is basically an XP version of Svartisen, like others write above.

Alfa Frees did not fit my feet at another local store… Maybe these would make sense, if I would be moving to Xplore at some point.

EDIT: By the way, the shop guy told that Crispi uses non-prestretched leather, and Alfa prestretched leather. Can anybody explain, what that means in practice?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:50 pm

tkarhu wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:05 pm
Alfa Frees did not fit my feet at another local store…
Curious in what way they didn’t fit for you?

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:21 am

@Stephen I think the Alfas had two fit issues mainly. Heel fit was loose, and there was something pressing slightly at my upper instep.

I compared size 43 Alfas and Guards at the shop. The Frees felt less comfortable, with both giving as much support.

Others have written that Frees have a tighter fit than other Alfa boots. Yet on my feet the Alfas felt maybe even looser than Guards. Probably for that reason they did not feel as supportive as expected.

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:32 am

Early Test Report?

The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.