Telehiro in his own words

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Re: Telehiro in his own words

Post by tkarhu » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:41 am

@CIMA Thanks a lot for your encouraging words 8-)

Two last winters, I have also learned tele on XC-BC fjellskis. The fjellskis are 200 cm Gammes, which have the stiffness of intermediate skill level track skis, yet also moderate downhill features like 14 mm sidecut and nordic rocker.

I just read through the exercises I collected back then (link below). It seems that what I did with a front ski, telehiro does with a rear ski. Doing that with the rear ski seems slightly challenging balancewise for a tele-b beginner like me, especially on stiff double camber skis.
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5649

On the Gammes, I learned a kind of an a-tele for XCd skis, based on old school skinny ski technique (á la Paul Parker). Telehiro’s modern b-tele XCD technique seems to have similarities with that type of an a-tele technique. Still it remains for me to be seen, how well telehiro’s tele-b works with double camber skis.

For this season, I am going to install a pair of 196 cm Åsnes Falketind Xplores NNN-BC. When learning tele-b, I am planning to use the FTX’s first.

By the way, it would be interesting to make a transcript of the turns telehiro uses in the following video where he skis old school, vintage XCd skis. Those 205 cm Rossignol Chamois AR’s are even skinnier than my Gammes and have less sidecut, and also lack nordic rocker I guess, like skis of that era do. Otherwise the Chamois AR’s and Gammes seem quite similar.
https://youtu.be/ihYUXD_ijwI?si=5l8mLP6EnRWlM6qG

So, in many ways the Chamois AR’s are for sure more challenging to ski downhill than Gammes. Yet the Rossignols may have softer cambers, though. At least what is possible for him with the vintage Rossignols, should be possible for me with Åsnes FTX’s.

By the way, on the video, isn’t telehiro skiing tele-b mainly until ~00:40? Even with the XCd skis. To get started with the transcript. :)

Roman
Ski style: I call it telemark ultralight :-)
Favorite Skis: Madshus Epoch, Annum, Voile V6, Fischer S-Bound 98
Favorite boots: Alpina Pioneer Pro, Crispi Svartisen 75, Scarpa T4, T2

Post by Roman » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:14 am

Capercaillie wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:43 pm
If you did not know, Telehiro operates a mountain inn and ski school business in Hakuba Valley. I would like to go on vacation there and attend Telehiro's classes.
Does anyone know the contact details of the inn and the ski school please?

Capercaillie
Ski style: trying not to fall too much
Favorite Skis: Alpina 1500T, Kazama Telemark Comp
Favorite boots: Alfa Horizon, Crispi Nordland, Scarpa T4

Post by Capercaillie » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:59 pm

Roman wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:14 am
Does anyone know the contact details of the inn and the ski school please?
https://www.otr.pxc.jp/~mahoroba/

mahoroba@otr.pxc.jp

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:32 am

tkarhu wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:41 am
I just read through the exercises I collected back then (link below). It seems that what I did with a front ski, telehiro does with a rear ski. Doing that with the rear ski seems slightly challenging balancewise for a tele-b beginner like me, especially on stiff double camber skis.
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5649
It's common for cross-country skiers to inadvertently favor their front leg, and this tendency can be attributed to various factors. The kick-and-glide technique naturally shifts the weight forward. Additionally, the distribution of the head's weight can lead to a forward inclination, impacting posture and relying on the front leg to prevent falls. Having personally encountered these tendencies as a skier, I've actively worked to address and correct them during my skiing experiences.
tkarhu wrote:
For this season, I am going to install a pair of 196 cm Åsnes Falketind Xplores NNN-BC. When learning tele-b, I am planning to use the FTX’s first.
It seems like these skis are similar to my Madshus Epoch with Rottefella NNN BC bindings.
Starting on gentle, powdery slopes with your gear above should be a good way to begin.
tkarhu wrote:
By the way, it would be interesting to make a transcript of the turns telehiro uses in the following video where he skis old school, vintage XCd skis. Those 205 cm Rossignol Chamois AR’s are even skinnier than my Gammes and have less sidecut, and also lack nordic rocker I guess, like skis of that era do. Otherwise the Chamois AR’s and Gammes seem quite similar.
https://youtu.be/ihYUXD_ijwI?si=5l8mLP6EnRWlM6qG

By the way, on the video, isn’t telehiro skiing tele-b mainly until ~00:40? Even with the XCd skis. To get started with the transcript. :)
Your analysis appears to be correct.
Telehiro demonstrates changes in ski techniques based on terrain and snow conditions effectively.
(But I can't do like that. :D )
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:56 am

This video on the telehiro page is also of interest. On the video, he skis AT bindings! He is doing b-turns on bindings that are not even free-heel.

The Silveretta Easy Go bindings allow you to use climbing boots, based on a crampon attachment standard on a quick Google search. The title of the video above says “quiet skiing due to low cuff boots / mountain boots”.

I guess you need either forward flexing boots of free-heel bindings in order to make a b-turn.

@CIMA btw I commented on your XCd related points in another thread (link below). viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5649&p=64180&sid=98 ... 7e0#p64180

CIMA

Post by CIMA » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:25 am

tkarhu wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:56 am
The title of the video above says “quiet skiing due to low cuff boots / mountain boots”.

I guess you need either forward flexing boots of free-heel bindings in order to make a b-turn.
Your assumptions seem accurate.
The video's title may imply that this turn is only possible when wearing low-cut boots.
However, many telemark skiers overlook the benefits of improved ankle mobility that comes with this type of boots.

Sidney Dunkin

Post by Sidney Dunkin » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:43 pm

Hi all, first post here. I'm a long time xcd skier and telehiro fan. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one over here interested in his videos. Although I don't speak the language I still picked up a lot of tips from him. In the words of Yogi Berra "you can observe a lot by watching." I had never heard of A or B type skiing before reading it here. If I had to sum it up I would say A tele is where I started and B is where I ended up.

Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents, Sid.

CIMA

Post by CIMA » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:56 am

Sidney Dunkin wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:43 pm
I had never heard of A or B type skiing before reading it here. If I had to sum it up I would say A tele is where I started and B is where I ended up.
Upon reading this, Telehiro would burst into tears...

Sidney Dunkin

Post by Sidney Dunkin » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:47 am

Tears of joy I hope, I'd hate to get him upset.

CIMA

Post by CIMA » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:51 am

He'd be overjoyed, of course!