Considering the Gamme

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Considering the Gamme

Post by fisheater » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:31 pm

@wabene Yes they are a very cool ski. They’re fast, fun, and really not difficult to handle.

EricG

Post by EricG » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:30 am

Based on reviews here I picked up some Asnes Gamme 54 BC, 210s last spring, and finally had them out for a few days.

I'm 200 lbs., had a 30 lb. pack for four days in Baxter State Park in Maine. Moderate to advanced nordic skier on groom trails. Alpina Alaskas with NNN bindings (really loved these as well; seemed more comfortable than the 75 mm version I had previously).

The Gamme's were fantastic on the snowmobiled trails with 3 in. new snow. Really fast. While my more-fit wife crushed me on the rolling climbs with her fish scales, she had to step aside at the tops of hills. The glide with the Gamme's was amazing. Long stretches of double-poling and smiling. And quiet! The waxing was relatively easy blue conditions, and I had to remind myself to stop and wax if I started to lose the up-hill grip.

So thanks to this forum for helping me find a really perfect ski for my winter trips!

I found Aleksander staring up at me to be inspirational at times, but did suffer some teasing from my wife.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:16 pm

I’ve put XP on the Green Man (it had Magnums previously). I reused the original Magnum holes (only a .5 cm difference on the balance point) for my front XP binding holes and carefully drilled new ones for the rest of what I needed. Gotta say that it’s feeling like a different ski now. It’s a much quieter binding than 75mm or NNN-BC (no creaking or squeaking noise)…the only noise I notice now is snow scrunching underfoot. I’m really enjoying the ease of stepping in/out of this binding for those places I’ve got to boot it a bit. Kinda feeling a sense of more control now (not sure how to quantify that yet) as I’m whipping down some trails I’ve previously been more tentative about.

Hope to try ‘The Full Johnny’ next year when I get technique dialled in, I’m already realizing toe bumpers are going to be limiting.

Anyone selling a shorter Green Man or Teal Man (I’ve currently got 210’s)? I’d like to try something in the 190ish length in the single track trails.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:40 pm

@Inspiredcapers "It’s a much quieter binding than 75mm or NNN-BC (no creaking or squeaking noise)"

I've started applying RainX (a hydrophobic windshield treatment wax available cheap from the auto parts store) on my top sheets and bindings as well to stop icing and keep heavy snow off my skis for the skin track up. Have not heard a peep from any of my 75mm bindings since. ;)

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:03 pm

wabene, RainX is a new suggestion to me, I’ll give it a try on the 75mm and NNNBC boots/bindings I’ve got. The 75mm in particular has been driving me a little crazy this year.

wabene

Post by wabene » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:13 pm

Inspiredcapers wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:03 pm
wabene, RainX is a new suggestion to me, I’ll give it a try on the 75mm and NNNBC boots/bindings I’ve got. The 75mm in particular has been driving me a little crazy this year.
It doesn't help much if your ski partner has squeaky skis :lol:
Last edited by wabene on Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:17 pm

@wabene, I use Toko liquid on the top sheet, it works just ok. However, in these warm spring conditions I often get a build up of solid balls of ice underneath my ball of foot, between the rails in nnnbc. Any idea how to stop this?

wabene

Post by wabene » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:18 pm

mca80 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:17 pm
@wabene, I use Toko liquid on the top sheet, it works just ok. However, in these warm spring conditions I often get a build up of solid balls of ice underneath my ball of foot, between the rails in nnnbc. Any idea how to stop this?
Switch to 75mm?? I kid, I kid. I don't have much experience with BC bindings. I have one ski mounted and my wife two pairs. I never had that happen. I do know RainX repels snow and ice better than anything else I've tried.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:38 pm

Actually it's a bit back of the bof, toward arch, but it's been happening often with the slushy snow conditions. Maybe will try RainX. Thanks.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:12 pm

Re- wet snow build up on NNNBC rails-
Stop every once in a while and give your boot a moderately assertive forward kick-stomp on the rails-
will remove the snow from the boot sole and the rails (works for me).
(wet packy snow can build up underfoot with any binding- 3pin included.)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.