Xplore vs. 3pin+cables

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Xplore vs. 3pin+cables

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:09 am

Judging from Tom'd video I'd say there is a big difference activity between the standard and stiff flexors.

Add in that the 11 and 4lb measurements were the minimum amount of force to lift the heel. If you cranked your heel up higher I think the pressure would increase dramatically more with the stiff flexor.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:12 am

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:09 am
Judging from Tom'd video I'd say there is a big difference activity between the standard and stiff flexors.

Add in that the 11 and 4lb measurements were the minimum amount of force to lift the heel. If you cranked your heel up higher I think the pressure would increase dramatically more with the stiff flexor.
You might be right… this is where Hooke’s Law (mentioned by someone else in another thread) is useless (according to the stuff I’ve read, Hooke’s Law doesn’t apply to rubber).

Direct measurement is the only way to know.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:15 am

I think you could test the tip pressure using just one scale. In your living room with one ski on, standing on your other foot, try putting pressure on the scale with your ski tip. I'm sure you will get higher weights with more active bindings.

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:18 am

Exactly. And the tip pressure is going to be equal to the weight it takes to lift the heel!

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:21 am

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:15 am
I think you could test the tip pressure using just one scale. In your living room with one ski on, standing on your other foot, try putting pressure on the scale with your ski tip. I'm sure you will get higher weights with more active bindings.
But then you’d be losing several “control” aspects in the experiment. The biggest control issue is exactly duplicating the weight shift of the skier.

Like, I know we’re all “good” but I can’t guarantee that I can *exactly* match leg angles and weight shift two times in a row. I don’t think you can realistically do so either. Not because we aren’t competent skiers in our own right, but because we’re subject to the same human tolerances… and those are always in a state of flux.

You might see where I’m going with all this…

I don’t understand the resistance you guys have. As long as Tom is willing to do it, the experiment won’t cost you anything.
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:22 am

TheMusher wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:18 am
Exactly. And the tip pressure is going to be equal to the weight it takes to lift the heel!
Sounds right to me, and I'm no rocket surgeon.

TheMusher
Ski style: Telemark / BC / Nordic sled

Post by TheMusher » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:27 am

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:22 am
TheMusher wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:18 am
Sounds right to me, and I'm no rocket surgeon.
Just a rocket on skis :D

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:31 am

GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:21 am
lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:15 am
But then you’d be losing several “control” aspects in the experiment. The biggest control issue is exactly duplicating the weight shift of the skier.

Like, I know we’re all “good” but I can’t guarantee that I can *exactly* match leg angles and weight shift two times in a row.

You might see where I’m going with all this…

I don’t understand the resistance you guys have. As long as Tom is willing to do it, the experiment won’t cost you anything.
I don't think you'd lose any control in the experiment. What a skier does with that extra pressure is up to them. One generalization about active bindings and stiff boots is that they will let you do the same thing as softer set up with less body movement.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:33 am

Regardless, my request for @Tom M stands…

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5438&start=80#p54762

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:37 am

Don't forget, Tom doesn't work here.