Xplore vs. 3pin+cables

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Xplore vs. 3pin+cables

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:14 am

Grimsurfer, maybe the cable doesn't add anything for xc skiing (it detracts from it) but it does for dh control.

Your science doesn't add up here and doesn't support what is self evident in real world use.

Do you have a ski with a cable binding on it?

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:23 am

I’m not arguing that it doesn’t provide DH control. It does, by assisting the skier. Not by transmitting force or shifting weight.

It just doesn’t work the way you and fisheater think it does.
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:25 am

wabene wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:34 am
It just *facilitates* skier weight transfer. It doesn’t *create* it.

Obviously the skier transfers their weight not the binding
Yes!
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:29 am

GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:23 am
I’m not arguing that it doesn’t provide DH control. It does, by assisting the skier. Not by transmitting force or shifting weight.

It does transmit force, lots of it.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:35 am

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:29 am
GrimSurfer wrote:

Quick. Get on a plane and rush to Oslo. This is ground breaking stuff… turns out the laws of physics that we’ve all beeen following for the past 200 years have been wrong.

LOL.

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:07 am

Well I've never seen it but maybe I've got to watch Tron, maybe there is some secret knowledge in that cinematic masterpiece. I will become enlightened :lol:

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:13 am

GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:35 am
lowangle al wrote:
GrimSurfer wrote:

Quick. Get on a plane and rush to Oslo. This is ground breaking stuff… turns out the laws of physics that we’ve all beeen following for the past 200 years have been wrong.

LOL.
I'm not arguing with the science, just your application of it. The fact that cables increase tip pressure isn't even debatable anymore.

Have you ever skied with a cable binding? If so, for how long?

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:22 am

wabene wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:07 am
Well I've never seen it but maybe I've got to watch Tron, maybe there is some secret knowledge in that cinematic masterpiece. I will become enlightened :lol:
The Tron reference is actually a joke. Things don’t simply happen on their own. Some people think they do, which is why I use a derivation of a quote from the movie as my sig. It’s funny.

Most of the world’s secret knowledge is contained in books. You’d think they were made of kryptonite, given the lengths people go to avoid them.

All of the mystery falls away when you understand “reaction force” (Newton’s Third Law). The force of a cable pushing on the back of a boot is countered by the reaction force of the cable pushing in the opposite direction against the binding of the ski. These balances cancel each other out. They’re equal and opposite.

The only thing that a cable does, therefore, is assist in how we control our body weight over the ski… specifically weight transfer. This weight transfer changes the centre of pressure applied to a ski… front to back, side to side. THAT’s what makes a ski work.

If we had infinite control over our bodies, we wouldn’t need cables. Indeed, some bindings don’t use cables because they assist the skier in other ways.
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:24 am

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:13 am
GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:35 am
lowangle al wrote:

LOL.
I'm not arguing with the science, just your application of it. The fact that cables increase tip pressure isn't even debatable anymore.

Have you ever skied with a cable binding? If so, for how long?
Yup. Lots of times during my “skiing in jeans” days. LOL

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:48 am

@GrimSurfer the cable is pulling the boot towards the ski, around the bindings pivot point. Ergo the boot is pulling the rear of the ski up and the front of the ski down around the bindings pivot point.
You may as well be saying that rear binding pieces of alpine bindings don't hold boots to the skis. If you lean forward in alpine bindings you push the front of the skis down.