Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Physics debate

Post by connyro » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:33 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:10 pm
For sure.

A good analogue is “perceived rate of exertion”. It’s almost meaningless in sport.

When I ski on some days, my PRE is high. But this may not reflect my heart rate (which says exactly how hard I’m working). On great days, I feel low PRE but am operating at Zone 5+. Everything is clicking… or it seems to be until I look at my speed and splits, which might be dismal.

When feeling, performance, and measurement aligns, you know the past few weeks of training or practice are having an effect. But you’d never “get there” without applying exercise science.
You make skiing sound so fun. You must be a blast to ski with.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:36 pm

connyro wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:33 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
For sure.

A good analogue is “perceived rate of exertion”. It’s almost meaningless in sport.

When I ski on some days, my PRE is high. But this may not reflect my heart rate (which says exactly how hard I’m working). On great days, I feel low PRE but am operating at Zone 5+. Everything is clicking… or it seems to be until I look at my speed and splits, which might be dismal.

When feeling, performance, and measurement aligns, you know the past few weeks of training or practice are having an effect. But you’d never “get there” without applying exercise science.
Going fast is fun, exceeding expectations is fun, carving a turn is fun, racing through a difficult section is fun, braving the elements is fun.

Getting there requires preparation and practice. If you skip that, you’ll never experience how much fun you can actually have. Life will be a series of yard sales and lost opportunities.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

connyro

Post by connyro » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:57 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:36 pm
connyro wrote:
GrimSurfer wrote:
For sure.

Going fast is fun, exceeding expectations is fun, carving a turn is fun, racing through a difficult section is fun, braving the elements is fun.

Getting there requires preparation and practice. If you skip that, you’ll never experience how much fun you can actually have. Life will be a series of yard sales and lost opportunities.
Thanks for taking the time to do some very welcomed life coaching! Without your gentle but firm and obviously welcomed teachings, I may have never seen the light. Thank christ for you internet skier, thank christ.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:07 pm

connyro wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:57 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:36 pm
connyro wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to do some very welcomed life coaching! Without your gentle but firm and obviously welcomed teachings, I may have never seen the light. Thank christ for you internet skier, thank christ.
It wasn’t meant for you. Not everything is.

I just wrote how I manage to have fun. IDK why this seems to trigger you, but it does.

Maybe it would be better if I alternated between cat videos, photos of mountains, and endless debating on what Asnes ski will take my modest abilities to a transcendent level?
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:24 pm

Telerock wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:41 am
Thanks for the old style binding video. I had a pair of 1957 head skis, with the old cable bindings, That I found in a Vermont barn. They were embossed with the name of a previous olympic skier. I used them for lift serve at Mad River in Vermont (with my Extreme leather boots) both with the cables hooked under the clips and without. It was much easier to ski those heavy boards on crust and hardpack with the cables hooked down, and my heels “fixed” to the ski, as would be expected. I stopped doing that after a twisting fall, the skis could not release, and some pain in the knee resulted.
I still think the primary aid to skiing from cables or active bindings is the additional lateral heel support. However, I find that is offset by the restriction to “going low” where dropping my center of gravity (in a way fixed heel skiers cannot), promotes better control.
See attached photo (please disregard my “flailing” arms held out for balance and to prevent knuckle dragging).
That’s cool you had one of those old bindings working. I’ve only seen broken ones nailed to walls on chunky old all wood skis. Very cool though. I heard they could be used for either tele or alpine turns. It looks like the back cable hook is for alpine skiing, maybe too “active” for good telemarking. Yeah, could cause injury especially if your boots uppers aren’t soft. I was surprised to see that the “relief hitch” mode for climbing, with the back cable hooks undone was still quite stiff in the forward flex due to the still rearward pivot, probably better for tele turns than skinning or XC. That reminds me, the original 3 pin inventor guy I heard won a cross country race because he wasn’t fighting the resistance of the binding like the guys with the cable bindings. IIRC.

Whole thing:

DG99

Post by DG99 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:29 pm

Telerock wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:43 am
Note in the photo, the tip/front of the skis are not spraying snow, the action is beneath the boot (and a foot or so forward and back).
Yes, the front of the front ski isn’t going to be pressured so much in a tele turn. The main thing is engaging the front of the rear ski, especially in certain portions of the turn, is going to help get it tracking around with the rear ski. You can also pivot and skid skis of course.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:43 pm

DG99 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:29 pm
Telerock wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:43 am
Note in the photo, the tip/front of the skis are not spraying snow, the action is beneath the boot (and a foot or so forward and back).
Yes, the front of the front ski isn’t going to be pressured so much in a tele turn. The main thing is engaging the front of the rear ski, especially in certain portions of the turn, is going to help get it tracking around with the rear ski. You can also pivot and skid skis of course.
That seems to happen pretty well when going shins to ski. Unless form is way off, the thigh, glutes, and torso end up being directly over the pivot point (or even further forward).

DG99

Post by DG99 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:10 pm

I’m pretty sure….. if you have a free pivot at the toe, like an AT binding with the heel unhooked, you can’t pressure the tip of the ski more than the tail.

I’m going to test that in the living room with a physics apparatus.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:28 pm

DG99 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:10 pm
I’m pretty sure….. if you have a free pivot at the toe, like an AT binding with the heel unhooked, you can’t pressure the tip of the ski more than the tail.

I’m going to test that in the living room with a physics apparatus.
You’re not pressuring the tip of the ski.

You’re applying body mass the front portion of the ski that makes contact with the snow. You’re even flattening the camber and pressing the pocket. All through the ball of the foot.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:40 pm

With the lead ski you can get more weight on the front of ski by putting more weight on your toe than your heel. Even without a cable you are getting some forward weighting (tip pressure) on your ski because you are weighting the ski forward of boot center.

So believe it or not you are getting some tip pressure on every turn with a properly weighted rear ski.