Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Re: Physics debate

Post by tkarhu » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:42 pm

Telerock wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:32 pm
Perhaps we need a force diagram. Most engineers and physicists would do that to provide a visual representation where the applied forces and opposing forces can be set equal.
See beginning of page 45 for a try to make a diagram.

On the video, if I have understood correctly, first test is free pivot, that means cable is loose. Second test is with cable tension. Video name seems to say so. @DG99 is that correct?

In the second test, looks like the tester needs poles not to fall on his nose. Better prefer health over science :)

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:53 pm

Telerock wrote:
Perhaps we need a force diagram. Most engineers and physicists would do that to provide a visual representation where the applied forces and opposing forces can be set equal.
I am not volunteering to draw one, perhaps someones sister /daughter would do that on a bar napkin?
What I gathered from the video test (thanks to the patient lady tester) is that when locked down toes, with spring loaded heel bindings, there is minimal forward force applied by raising the heel. Not quite sure what was changed for the second test, but she clearly slipped foreward when raising the heels; may be a balance thing?
PS: I think some compassion, understanding and repetition may be necessary due to the length of this discussion. I would not expect the newcomer to this thread to read through the entire 45 pages.
This is my 121st post to this thread, not counting ~60 posts in the previous thread.

Links to an instructional book published by the US ski association (ignored), a force diagram (ridiculed), a step by explanation of body mechanics and binding functions (dismissed), multiple synopses of Newton’s Laws one of them in flow chart form (overlooked).

A video of a person standing with their skis on a picture frame? Heralded. Seriously, you can’t make this up.

When people don’t want to comprehend, or wish to cling to previous modes of thinking, all the patience, understanding, and repetition isn’t going to change anything.

At least @lilcliffy got it. Maybe a few others who read but didn’t contribute.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:04 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:17 pm
But they’ve never actually formed a coherent argument, using physics, to refute the proposition that the NN 3 pin 75mm cable doesn’t transmit force, but is a control element on the force applied by the skier.
trans-mit
from Latin
trans : through; across
mit from verb mittere (mitto, mittere, misi, missus) : to send, throw

A tele-graph (far-write) or tele-phone (far-sound) can use wire to trans-mit (send-through) a message...
or a miss-ive.

On older, simpler aircraft that are not fly-by-wire (electronic contols), tension-wires, rods, and cables are used to trans-mit the force applied by the pilot at the 'stick' (and foot levers) to the "control elements" ala a wing or tail flap (i.e. ailerons, rudder, elevator) thru a series of lever, pivots, and tubes. Likewise, turbulence or even a pre-flight inspection can send forces the other direction from a "flap" to the control yoke/stick. (Dog wags tail, tail wags dog, ...)

@GrimSurfer Why can a cable NOT trans-mit force from the human to the ski, via however many intermediaries (including socks)? I don't see a cable being the 'source of force' (TM) any more than socks* are. Sure, there can be 'give,' 'slop,' losses to friction et al., making it <100%, and pass-thru-% can vary from 0 (at "rest") to nearly 100 (no 'give' left), but "doesn't transmit force"?

* provided they do not have over 12 hours of uninterrupted heavy use + time to 'ferment'

DG99 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 am
Ok, we have tested free pivot vs cable on our physics apparatus. Video proof uploaded to YouTube.
"OK, ready?"
"Yeah, I'm ready. I've been ready for a while actually..."
:oops: :lol: There's the basis for a sit-com episode here...

All I'm seeing are pieces of rubber (somewhat elastic*) and steel (very elastic*) that as they reach their respective limits of compression or tension, that is their limit to Store Energy (kinetic --> potential), progressively switches to trans-mitting it similar to a leaky bucket filling until its capacity is exceeds and it overflows yet still "leaking" some water (not the greatest analogy, I'll admit).

Conditions vary along a scale; they are not binary like a on/off light switch. Thus various materials and geometries are employed with varying "responsiveness" not unlike a car with a "soft ride" versus a harder "sport suspension."

* Hence cars using steel for springs and rubber for damping. Rubber is 'stretchier' though. If you've ever dropped both a steel and a rubber ball (e.g. BB) on concrete or steel, you've seen which one re-bounds higher and bounces for longer... to the distant, barely accessible spot in the garage.
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:19 pm

TallGrass wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:04 pm
@GrimSurfer Why can a cable NOT trans-mit force from the human to the ski, via however many intermediaries (including socks)?
Because the cable is, in effect, attached to itself through the immovable binding plate. Thus, all the tension is internal.

One can observe this by unscrewing the binding plate from the ski and mounting the boot and cable. The system will continue to function, independent of the ski. Why? Because it is a closed system. All of the tension is internal to the binding, cable, boot. This is what tension means: equal and opposing forces.

This is different than an aircraft cable, where one end is attached to a moveable stick and the other to a moveable element (like an elevator). In that case, the pilots arm applies force to the moveable stick, which moves a lever and pulls a cable to another lever which activates a moveable element (the elevator).

A looped cable doesn’t work this way. Whatever force is applied by the heel is countered by the attachment point of the binding. The forces cancel out. So there is nothing to impart force onto the ski.

The cable tension acts on the boot, and only on the boot. It makes the boot harder to move. In other words, it imparts a controlling force on the boot. The ski only “sees” whatever force the skier applies.

Once you get past the control force (which is internal to the binding and boot), the only forces acting against the ski are exerted by the skier and gravity.
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Telerock wrote:
I would not expect the newcomer to this thread to read through the entire 45 pages.
I'm waiting for it to conclude so I can print it and read it all in one sitting.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:48 pm

leon wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:38 pm
As a non-physicist, it makes intuitive sense that if rotation occurs at the same point as the cable attachment then torque is not generated. If on the other hand, a pulling force is applied at a point on ski other than the pivot point between ski and boot, then a torque would be applied to the ski by the pulling force.

Am I getting this correct? If not where is my logic running counter to physical laws?
At least a cable needs to stretch, when it is connected behind binding / boot bending point, and heel is lifted. See diagram below.

22 Designs Axl 2023 mechanism.png

The above photo is of a 22 Designs Axl 2023 binding.
https://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/bindi ... s-axl-2023

When you think of an alpine binding, rear connection would be at heel and without elasticity. I would assume you get 100 % force transmission in an alpine binding.

By contrast, free heel bindings have elasticity in rear connection, and the rear connection is located somewhere between heel and binding / boot bending point. There transmission of force seems to be somewhere between 0 and 100 %.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:05 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:19 pm
TallGrass wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:04 pm
@GrimSurfer Why can a cable NOT trans-mit force from the human to the ski, via however many intermediaries (including socks)?
Because the cable is, in effect, attached to itself through the immovable binding plate. Thus, all the tension is internal.
I'll need that fleshed out to follow you. Internal to 'what'?

Perhaps a hang-up is "immovable", ala static, non-dynamic.
Truth is everything is dynamic, has give, movement, though may be relatively-static.
This is important in structural failures, i.e. Yield Point, Failure Threshold.
Like a stress-gauge indicates (needed because it's hard-to-impossible for the human eye to detect), materials stretch, bend, deflect BOTH throughout their medium (e.g. steel binding plate) and those they're are connected to (screws, wood glue, top sheet, wood ski core, ...).

One can observe this by unscrewing the binding plate from the ski and mounting the boot and cable. The system will continue to function, independent of the ski. Why? Because it is a closed system. All of the tension is internal to the binding, cable, boot. This is what tension means: equal and opposing forces.
What "system" (to be clear on which parts are in it and not in it)?

If you have a boot-cable-binding, you'll never see it get into a configuration of (boot) 'flex' without a human applying force one direction and the ground (resistive force of ground to snow to ski ...) counteracting it.
This is different than an aircraft cable, where one end is attached to a stick and the other to a moveable element (like an elevator). In that case, the pilots arm applies force to the stick, which moves a lever and pulls a cable to another lever which activates a moveable element (the elevator).
Not really, because the more wind resistance the more force the pilot has to apply, AND at some point that force can exceed what the cable (or other object such as a lever, rod, pivot... in the system linking pilot to control flap) can take and !SNAP! (energy stored in tension released as sound... vibrations in air... and localized damage to other parts).
A looped cable doesn’t work this way. Whatever force is applied by the heel is countered by the attachment point of the binding. The forces cancel out. So there is nothing to impart force onto the ski.
Ever use a clothespin? The steel spring can store (potential) energy. So can cables.
The cable, binding, and flexpoint of the boot make a triangle, and under tension can likewise store energy, given amounts for given angles, which the skier can change like a water valve/faucet to determine how much passes through.
The cable tension acts on the boot, and only on the boot. It makes the boot harder to move. In other words, it imparts a controlling force on the boot. The ski only “sees” whatever force the skier applies.
Um, were that true, a skier standing on his skis would fall through to Earth's molten core. In contrast, the ski "sees" the "force" of the skier from above, and resistive force of the earth (ground) below.

When skier > earth, the skier "sinks in" ala into powder or mud until balance is achieved.
When skier < earth, the skier rises like when hitting a bump, and if he "gets air", the energy is not lost but converts to kinetic energy (upward) which transitions (0-100, 10-90, 20-80...) eventually to entirely potential energy (100-0) at the apex, then starts to fall (potential --> kinetic, 90-10, 80-20, ...) and so on.
Once you get past the control force (which is internal to the binding and boot), the only forces acting against the ski are exerted by the skier and gravity.
This omits both the storage of energy (in various ways) by the materials between the skier and the earth, and the way (location) forces are transmitted, same as moving a flap on a plane causes one side's force encountered to increase and the other side decrease (i.e. imbalance) which changes the attitude of the aircraft.

The phrase "control force (which is internal to the binding and boot)"... a person's foot is internal to the boot, yes, but the force is NOT restricted to it, as it can be passed through the sock to the boot, boot to binding, binding to screws, screws to ski, ski to earth/terrain.

It appears from the above that you're treating the foot-boot-binding like three links and a chain of their own and in isolation, but they are connected on both ends to other things which play a part.

The whole point of skiing and control is creating imbalances that upset the momentum to "remain still" into movement down the hill and or direction and or speed (vector: speed+direction).
tkarhu wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:48 pm
I like this better than the other diagram with arcs. Only explicit thing it leaves out is the short "fixed" leg of the triangle between the blue and purple ends at the plate/ski.

Also, I would not put the blue focus (pivot) at the boot tip, rather under the ball of the foot along the mid-line of the boot-sole, a couple inches back. The shorter that "invisible fixed leg" is, the flex a human can get out of it, and the longer the more rigid it becomes.

The blue and or purple have to give appreciably or it would act like an Alpine Binding.
Alternatively, if blue and purple pivoted at the same point on the binding, you would effectively have a 3-pin (toe-only) as the resistance would be from the flexing of the boot sole alone.
And if the blue and purple swapped places... :twisted:

With the triangle, it becomes easier to see the Lever Type in play. (The pliers is a confusing example because it's two CROSSING levers sharing a fulcrum, at least color some arrows red and others blue diagonal from each other to conform with illustration to its left. If you've used circlip pliers that spread-to-open you have non-crossing levers sharing a fulcrum, and arrow colors on same side.)

Even if the cable does not noticeably deform, the boot does. "Elasticity" ...
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:22 pm

How about one question at a time. When we share a common understanding on the terms, we can then discuss other examples.

Sound good?

First question then…

One end of the binding cable attaches to the binding. The other end of the binding cable attaches to the binding.

When you pull on the back of the cable, it pulls on the binding. If the binding can’t move, the cable is actually pulling on itself (at the point where the cable attaches to the binding.

This is called “tension”. Clear?

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:19 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:22 pm
How about one question at a time. When we share a common understanding on the terms, we can then discuss other examples.

Sound good?

First question then…

One end of the binding cable attaches to the binding. The other end of the binding cable attaches to the binding
Redundant.
Also leaves out the heel attachment.

Look at it another way, slice it down the middle, top down, front to back, the diagram from the side is the same.

One-2x cable running down/through the middle of the boot is the same as two-1x on either side (counter act each other from a torsion standpoint.
When you pull on the back of the cable, it pulls on the binding. If the binding can’t move, the cable is actually pulling on itself (at the point where the cable attaches to the binding.

This is called “tension”. Clear?
"The cable is actually pulling on itself" that's a perpetual motion, or circular, argument. It does not. The cable is has tension pulling in --> <-- and the boot (heel to forefoot at the binding plate) is under compression pushing out <-- -->, and since these lines are NOT parallel but rather act through a sole that flexes (A-D below) it is not Internally stable, thus requires External pressure to hold position, much like flexing a muscle to hold a spring in compression/tension against the ground, levers involved or not.

What you describe is like a rubber band stretched across two pegs. The only issue is it's not a board connecting the two pegs, rather two boards with a hinge connecting them.

Visualize this as one prefers...
When I read your binding-to-binding pulling on itself it describes this only... (image X)

... or maybe this if you want to use the boot notch as the pivot ... (image Y)

... or maybe both ... (image Z)

... but I find that to be an incomplete and thus inaccurate representation of what is going on.

If find the architecture to be more along the lines of something like...

Cable-binding pivot, heelclip-cable pivot, midsole under Ball-of-Foot pivot (image A)

Or even, cable-binding pivot, heelclip-boot pivot, midsole under Ball-of-Foot pivot (image B)

Or even, cable-binding pivot, heelclip-cable pivot, heelclip-boot pivot, midsole under Ball-of-Foot pivot (image C)

Or even something more exotic (image D)

But not X, Y, Z which negates the boot as shown in A-D.

Notice all the lines of distortion in the boot converging? Folding hi-lo-hi-lo-hi ...? (image E)
I do not see that accounted for in your description.

Edit: Embedded names in images for reference.

P.S. If you would like to make/load, edit, upload for a URL, share, etc, and don't have the programs, try
https://mspaint.humanhead.com/
You can screen shot to load an image, or load from a URL, edit, then upload to imgur, and link/post from there.
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:40 pm

As I said, let’s deal with one issue at at time. Once we agree on terms, we can start looking at the binding system as a whole.

The cable is the element of the binding system under tension. That tension is created by the energy stored in the springs.

Agree or disagree? Remember, we’re only talking about the cable at the moment…