Of boots and such...

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Teleman

Re: Of boots and such...

Post by Teleman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:29 am

Lord!!!!! people excited about LEATHER BOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unreal.....Will get my wife to this site and give me a helping hand.....because I am PSYCHED that I MIGHT be able to get some NEW leather boots....Man! Will find out what kind of Alico Telekid has...TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Just curious as to how the sizing runs. My everyday day shoes and boots are 11, so I think I am out. My T-4's are
10-10 1/2, that is all I can find on them, I could not find a Mondo size. I looked at my old Raichle Flexon alpine boots and they are marked 9-9 1/2. Where all these boots wide? I do not have a wide foot. The price is fantastic, but I do not have room for boots that do not fit. I wouldn't mind trying something lighter than the T-4 with the USGI ski.
Thanks
BTW, any snow in the UP?

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:24 am

Telekid's new Alico boots are lace up and are not high cuffed....Good workmanship, they will be used in the BC while the North Rim Andrews at a ski area. Half a size big an extra pair of socks should handle that....Still have some steep North and East facing possibilities, but Sugaring is first on the list....Telesven, Rasta Tele and Adam working late into the night....I was sleeping!!! TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:08 pm

oops,posted the below on the wrong thread. Add one to translate UK to US. The sizes are normal width, you have to send them a special request for wide. You could ask the guy if he has a UK10, maybe he can dig one up.

>>Tman as long as you're not size 11 you'll be set (they're out of UK10/US11). btw I have a pair of the new Andrew Zenith in size 46 I will be posting for sale soon.

BG is it me or does one boot look 2 size larger than the other in that pic? these ski march are probably not as stiff as the Blaze, they don't have the plastic in the heel and they still flex pretty well. Somewhere b/w the Tour and Blaze. they're probably intended for skiing with heavy loads, don't know how well that translates to telemarking. The sole appears to be the same as the Alico Double, it's pretty heavy.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm getting a bunch of water into the toe box of my Antarctics, I think it's coming through the stitch that has/had that little rubber coating on it. The rubberized goop came off about day two, yesterday skiing all day in corn my feet were soaked. What do you Antarctic owners do to keep water from seeping in through the stitching?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:33 pm

I used to use seam sealer on my Norwegain welted mountaineering boots. I did this once as soon as I bought them and never had to seal them again. I wore them until the soles wore through. Never leaked.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 pm

You have to keep up with waterproofing the Antarctic. The toe area is where it wears off the fastest. In wet corn you need to touch up the toe and along the seam before every session I think.

I've been using "Bearguard" a beeswax/bear fat combination, it's great but someone warned me it can soften the leather too much. I'll try the Limmer silicon-based stuff on my next pair & see if it makes any difference.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Who was looking for size 11's - sweet pair of Merrells for $50:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Merrell-He ... SwYlJW53UK

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:06 pm

I have a pair of those, Asolo branded. Size 10, $50.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:19 pm

MikeK wrote:I have a pair of those, Asolo branded. Size 10, $50.
Asolos and Merrells are different bests. The Merrel, for instance, has a wider last while its tongue seems softer than the Asolo snowpines and such.

I'm on the lookout for Merrels sz 8-9 or 42-43!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM