Kicker skins?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Kicker skins?

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:36 pm

I am wondering why there is so much interest in Kicker skins. I have had them for 25 year and only needed them a couple of times. What is the advantage of the new skin systems, are they easier to put on and take them off without removing your skis?

MikeK

Re: Kicker skins?

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:45 pm

It's the skinlock from Asnes and easy skin from Fischer.

For someone like me, I like to have that safety net if the wax is just not working.

Kickers are nothing new. People around here have been carrying them for years. I don't think the BD ones are particularly well liked though.

When you move back east Al, you'll see. The weather will make you crazy south of Ontario. People complain about it constantly here. Too cold. Too much snow. Too much rain. Not enough sun... blah blah blah.

If you want to get out and ski you'll likely have to ski on some shit snow and thin cover, especially on a year like this. Normal years it seems to be big dumps followed by near full or full thaws. You'll have winter for a couple days and then spring conditions for a couple and then brown until the next dump.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:46 pm

lowangle al wrote:I am wondering why there is so much interest in Kicker skins. I have had them for 25 year and only needed them a couple of times. What is the advantage of the new skin systems, are they easier to put on and take them off without removing your skis?
AFAIK, Asnes developed kicker skins primarily to aid in pulka hauling (permanently under the ski), which is a very common activity in the Scandinavian fjall (treeless mountains). Black Diamond sells halfskins but these are primarily geared towers aiding alpine touring on long approaches. In NA (at least Québec), many have adapted the BD skins to skinny backcountry touring skis to be used when touring through more abrupt terrain (hut to hut) with a backpack. It works but that metal attachment is such a pain in harder snow/ice. Fischer basically came up with an alternative to Asnes half skins last year to try and win back some of the market for that type of ski in Scandinavia (E99-E109, etc.). Now this year, they are adding it to their S-bound waxless XCD line. THIS is the only part I can't understand.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:22 pm

I could see using them to pull a sled especially if the glided better than full skins. I also see how they would be better than the old half skins with the metal plate. I just don't see needing them too often to bridge the gap between either climbing with scales or wax and putting on conventional skins. If they had so little drag that you could leave them on for the down that would be good.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:24 pm

MikeK wrote:If you want to get out and ski you'll likely have to ski on some shit snow and thin cover, especially on a year like this. Normal years it seems to be big dumps followed by near full or full thaws. You'll have winter for a couple days and then spring conditions for a couple and then brown until the next dump
Shit snow and low cover is why I am a proponent of fat skis for the East coast bc.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:26 pm

lowangle al wrote:
MikeK wrote:If you want to get out and ski you'll likely have to ski on some shit snow and thin cover, especially on a year like this. Normal years it seems to be big dumps followed by near full or full thaws. You'll have winter for a couple days and then spring conditions for a couple and then brown until the next dump
Shit snow and low cover is why I am a proponent of fat skis for the East coast bc.
Especially since breaking my leg on a buried stump a few years ago.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:31 pm

lowangle al wrote: I just don't see needing them too often to bridge the gap between either climbing with scales or wax and putting on conventional skins.
Exactly, precisely why I don't understand what they are doing on the S-Bound line.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:00 pm

Yeah, Ouch Al. I don't think I'm ever going that fast on my skinnies where I'd bust my leg, but I don't know... I broke my hand once and it didn't take much, just hitting it just right!

Asnes skinlock = klister avoidance system.

I hope they stick to kick wax... one would hope so, otherwise they'd be kind of worthless.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:48 am

Mike , I was meadow skipping on the last hill before returning to the car. It probably wasn't more than 30 feet of vert. "It's not the size of the hill, it's the size of the spill." Hey I just made that up :D

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Even 30 feet of vert can hurt.