Which bindings and should I even use these skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
gitrinec

Which bindings and should I even use these skis

Post by gitrinec » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:33 pm

I bought 2 pair of USGI Asnes Skis 210 cm supposidly the sidecut is 75/65/70, they came in great condition as they were never issued, I'm mostly just wanting them for trekking into the Wyoming back-country as an approach ski into the Wind River Range. Would these skis work with some Voile Hardwires and some Scott Excursion Boots or is that to much of a binding/Boot for the skis. I'm not looking to do any real downhill skiing as I'm not skiing off the side of any mountains, I just need to get there and back. I'm dragging along Snowshoes as well. ImageImage

MikeK

Re: Which bindings and should I even use these skis

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:41 pm

There is a whole thread of review (and discussions) about these skis.

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=878

They are pretty XC, not much DH. I'd say plastic boots and hardwire bindings would be overkill.

I went cheap. Just plain pins mounted on balance point. Others are skiing them with NNN-BC. If you wanted more versatility would could spring for the cable bindings but to me, with this ski, totally unnecessary.

A good warm leather boot will do you fine too, unless you really favor plastic shells. I'd say a Crispi Antartic would be a good match for those skis for touring based on what I've read around here about them.

Tele down has them for a good price if you are looking:

http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/boots ... icleather/

Good luck!

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:08 pm

I've been following that thread, but I figured I'd ask in reference to the terrain I will be skiing on, MikeK what about bindings like these http://www.icetrek.com/np-bindings.html and just wearing my Mountaineering boots, I know about the Silvrettas but those seem pretty hard to find, It would be nice not having to drag along an extra pair of boots. I talked to Eric Phillips and he said that they would probably be ok for the short mileage that I would be doing 40 miles using hard soled boots as he said they are mostly designed for soft soled boots , ie long distance Polar expeditions.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Can't help you much with the terrain, I've never been there. Looks pretty rugged.

Are you peakbagging and using these for approach skis?

I know I also pitch this, but it's my only experience and the Alpina Alaska NNN-BC could do well in snowshoes or crampons IMO.

Honestly I wouldn't give up too much on the skis especially if you are going to be skiing for a good distance on ups and downs. A real ski binding helps.

Also IMO the plastic boots would be the worst option for snowshoe/crampon use. I'm not sure any of the snowshoes I have would work with Excursions.

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm not really peakbagging, I'm going in to climb Gannett peak. But yes, I'm using them as approach skis, I see they make those Alpina's in 75mm too, so maybe either NNN-BC or Voile 3 pin either Mountaineer or the 3 pin cable. I'm wondering how these boots would do climbing.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:32 pm

The duckbill can be problematic with crampons and snowshoes.

Actually, the boots themselves have terrible grip. They are really comfortable to wear and walk in for me (the NNN version). The fact that they could work with snowshoes and crampons, and kind of look and feel like mountaineering boots, would be a strong factor for me. The sole is really stiff, but not an issue with snowshoes or crampons... probably actually advantageous to eliminate pressure points.

I just posted this silly vid -

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... 591#p12591

Which shows the flex of the Alaska. The other two boots wouldn't be good options IMO. That exo skeleton would get in the way for climbing traction devices.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:03 pm

I'll chip in from another point of view. Sounds like you are more into the climb and the skis are simply a way to get yo to the mountain. I assume here that you already have decent climbing boots and that you don't want to bring 2 pair with you.

Your idea of the silvretta sound the best to me. Work on finding a used pair via ebay or the trade threads on the various ski and climbing forums (post WTB). Actually I would not compromise the safety or efficiency of your climb by considering using nordic ski boots for that leg of your journey.

(You should find some interesting set ups in forums more dedicated to climbing, don't know if anyone active here is really into that and knowledgable on that matter).

Anyway, how on earth would you securely attach climbing crampons to NNN-BC boots, i don't know? And the new 75mm boots (such as the alaska) are so soft soled i'm convinced it would cause your crampons to plop off on the first step up).

(Removed comment on XTRACE bindings, its also only meant for soft soled boots.)

Alternatively, 40 miles in actually seems like quite a ways. Will you be camping? Given that distance, I would seriously consider 1 boot for skiing/snowshoeing and another for climbing (are you hauling a sled?). You will also want to consider boot humidity management for an extended period (3 days or more) of time outdoors if the temperature can go several degrees below the freezing point (think vapour barrier liner or closed cell foam liners).

- if you go excursion boots, basic 3pin will be fine for the flats. 3pin cable if you want more options for downhill. but then i would not recommend a 210cm narrow ski for hauling climbing gear on a multiday trip if downhill is involved.

And if camping, your probably considering hauling a sled? Then you want half-skins too...

Good luck.
Last edited by bgregoire on Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

gitrinec

Post by gitrinec » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Bgregoire, ya it's mostly a climbing trip, I figured the skis will probably take a good beating on that trip so why buy some new expensive ones. Actually I've looked at those altaski bindings as well, I was just concerned that maybe a true ski binding and boot might be better, but who knows maybe I should give those a try. Unless I can find those Silvretta bindings miraculously, lol I've got my Nepal Evo GTX Mountaineering boots, that I'd climb in.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:33 pm

gitrinec wrote:Bgregoire, ya it's mostly a climbing trip, I figured the skis will probably take a good beating on that trip so why buy some new expensive ones. Actually I've looked at those altaski bindings as well, I was just concerned that maybe a true ski binding and boot might be better, but who knows maybe I should give those a try. Unless I can find those Silvretta bindings miraculously, lol I've got my Nepal Evo GTX Mountaineering boots, that I'd climb in.
I added more to my previous post..
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:25 pm

A lot of people that climb in the east use crampons with hiking boots.

I guess I'm thinking of these:

http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamon ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have something similar, but I use them with soft boots. They aren't for climbing ice falls, they are for traversing ice fields or short scrambles up icy rock where snowshoes won't work.

I guess when I hear snowshoe I think of non-technical mountain hiking so when I mentioned crampons I assumed it would be for limited use on ice that isn't straight up.

Maybe explaining your situation better would work. I've been meaning to do stuff like you are describing using skis, snowshoes and crampons and all my gear is compatible with my Alaska NNN boots, I just haven't had the chance to do any peakbagging.