What do you do when you can't ski?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.

Non-skiing activities

Cycling
19%
Paddlesports
17%
Hiking/Backpacking
20%
Rock Climbing
6%
Fishing/Hunting
13%
Roller ski
2%
Gardening
9%
Knitting
No votes
Stay indoors and think about skiing
3%
Other (explain)
11%

Total votes: 64

acrowe

Re: What do you do when you can't ski?

Post by acrowe » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:50 pm

As soon as the skiing gets sketchy I start thinking about Mtn biking. Just ordered a new free hub body for my partner's xc bike (it is hard to find free hub bodies for 12mm thru axle and they seem very fragile). We don't have a local bike store within 500km (300 miles) (although we have 3 places that sell / service snow machines and atvs in town).
We got 30cm of new snow last night, but it is wet and heavy, so I will have a few more days skiing.
Actually I really go both ways with it anyway, as soon as mtn biking season really gets going, I get obsessed with it and don't really think about skiing again till november. All the time I spend thinking about skiing all winter gets spent thinking about biking and planning trips to good riding and getting new parts or changing how something is set up on my bike.

I also do quite a bit of paddling and flyfishing.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:48 pm

I like to ride my mountain bike, but I also enjoy fishing out of my solo canoe. I should be looking ahead to check wind forecast for Lake Huron, but I just didn't get enough skiing in this season and I am lamenting the season's end in these parts'. I did well extending my fishing into December on Lake Huron. My friend makes videos of some of these trips. Most of the time he spends a lot of time editing, This particular video was his first with an underwater camera, and he made it entertaining.
Ski photos never really give proper perspective of mountain size and steepness and this video really didn't give great perspective of how Lake Huron started to get snotty. There is one shot of the rollers rolling along the seawall that offers perspective. I love paddling rivers both up and down stream, but there is really something cool about paddling on the Great Lakes.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:13 am

I'm actually like you are AC. Once I can start riding on single track again I don't even think about skiing. I'm completely hooked on MTB again.

Water is soft here now. I have the itch to get my boat out.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:14 pm

P1000300.JPG

Rokjox

Post by Rokjox » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:03 pm

...uuhhh...
......take off the skis and posthole?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Rokjox wrote:...uuhhh...
......take off the skis and posthole?
Knew it was you! :mrgreen:

Goddamn postholers.

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Mon May 16, 2016 11:24 pm

Anyone into trail running? Single track.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Mon May 16, 2016 11:36 pm

I mountain bike, hike/backpack, packraft and trail run. I really like mountain running. Basically just fast hiking, occasionally jogging on the way up, then running down. We have tons of trails for it up here and a lot of really accessible peaks.

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Tue May 17, 2016 1:26 am

I love running really tight single track trails in the forest or along grassy ridges. Feels so fast and the scenery is always changing. WAY different than road running, which I do if I have to, but I loathe.

I don't run up-and-down peaks (but maybe I should give it a go), my thing is running along rivers, where we have a lot of single track.

Where are you in Alaska? I'm your neighbour - I'm in Whitehorse, Yukon

Rokjox

Post by Rokjox » Tue May 17, 2016 10:30 am

STFu Whitehorse.

Im getting jealous.

Mtn biking is the most common thing I do here when the ski year ends. I used to go straight from skiing back into skiing after about a month, we got some high places too. But the weather, Father Time and the grim reaper has been screwing up my ski life, I no longer got the guys who used to get me back up in the backcountry. I suppose thats an excuse, but its been a pretty compelling one.

I do some of that lite trail running/shuffling... last year my son tore the ligs in his wrist, had surgery healed for a while then managed to have a stroke from a torn artery in his neck, got another 3 months or so of slacktime, so we did a lot of that kinda hiking. I'd rather ride...

Next comes some kinda climbing, or hunting for caves or crawling around inside caves. If its raining too much, we been known to risk mud and rust gumming up expensive firearms. I kill a lot of beercans. Lately for some reason I bought a 12 pack of Tecates, so for a few seconds we had animated red fountain targets, I just don't know anybody willing to actually DRINK a Tecate any more... used to be a popular thing...

Some days I do more than one thing, often its offroading. On the way to or from somewhere that we want to do one of the other things. Yep, pull out the comalongs, ropes and shovels, and drag the fourwheels across the desert and through the mud. Now there is some fun exercise. You ain't done nothing if you didn't get stuck.

Getting old. Been thinking about fishing.

Did I mention getting drunk? Most likely the hobby I share with the largest group of Americans.

I think I used to do something else too. Can't think of what it might of been...