Garmont Cruiser Leather Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Garmont Cruiser Leather Boots

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Does anybody know anything about these boots?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scarponi-da-tel ... XQIrFSLK5x

I wouldn't mind something lighter and with a bit more feel than my T-4's. I do not know much about leather although my first pair of boots almost was the Merrell Super Comp. I had a mail order dealer that I bought quite a few alpine skis from, and never had bad advice, until he talked me out of the Super Comp, and into what I feel is the worst possible telemark boot the Asolo Telebreeze.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EUC-ASOLO-TELEB ... SwPc9W2HZd

The Telebreeze flexed at the toe instead of the ball of the foot. I struggled for consistency on that boot for a couple of years. I rented some tele gear at Snowbird on the last day of a 7 day trip. My legs were toasty, so I figured I would take it easy cruising blues and blacks. I rented a Garmont 3-buckle plastic boot, Rainey Super=Loops and a Solomon shaped Tele ski (late 90's, early 2000's). First run down a black run (first groomer in 4 Years of Utah trips) and I was cranking turns. I never skied those Telebreeze again.

I do not know if these Garmonts are available in my size. I am really leery of buying gear I do not know much about. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am looking to cruise faster, so I bought some skinnier skis, but they are still fat by most standards here (Anses USGI Combat).I am looking for a boot that has more feel and would offer better K&G than a T-4.For me it is still about the turns, I don't care if I ski 5 miles of trails for 300 vertical of good snow, and challenging terrain. I zig zag my way back up a half dozen or more times and ski back out. I would just like to enjoy a bit more speed on the way in. I just love the turns!~ l I don't care if I do not enjoy the ski, they were cheap. The boots are about $150.00 shipped from Italy. A great value, but I do not want to eat $150 boot.
Thanks in advance,
Bob

MikeK

Re: Garmont Cruiser Leather Boots

Post by MikeK » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Really strange but that same seller has a bunch of sweet Tele gear from about 10-15 years ago. Not sure if it's a scam or some Italian ski shop that had all this stuff hiding in the basement.

Boots look awesome. If I knew it was legit and the sizing, I'd buy a pair. Don't know that they are going to give a lot more feel than the T4 will. Maybe after you ski them for like 5 years. They might be more comfortable, might not...

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:46 pm

If those Scarpas are like the Alico Doubles, then they may be heavier than your T4s.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:22 pm

I've seen this posting before and can't figure out the life of me the sizes he has. I just buy the boots and hope for the best?

Also, I bought my first XCD set-up-- skis, bindings, boots, from a guy who had a shop, that closed said shop, and then slowly sold his gear over time through ebay and craigslist. Impressive inventory. It happens.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:59 pm

I emailed the Sanscario sports guy last year to ask if he had my size - he said no. I think he only has a couple of sizes of those 2-buckle boots left. Another good option for a heavier leather boots is the Alico surplus boots I posted in the Boots & such thread. More sizes of those are available.

Crispi Antarctic and Svatisen are two more good options that are on sale this time of year.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:43 am

I received a response from Marco at snowpatroller.org, he did not have the boots in my size, so I do not have any decision to make in regards to that boot. I also looked at the Alico Double at Sierra Trading Post. I may regret passing on that boot someday. I have a double boot of approximately the same weight as the Alico Double, in my T4, just not the leather or the Vibram sole. I would think if I was doing multi day tours, and was seeking comfort I would not pass on the Double. It does seem my choices are either the Antartic or the Svartisen, of the two, I think my preference is the Svartisen. That is because I enjoy turning, and while I currently turn without my Hardwires attached frequently. I turn better with the Hardwires attached. The new boot will drive a 3pin cable. and while the cable will not always be attached, I am more motivated by turning well , and skiing as hard as a guy past fast healing age should ski. That does not mean I do not admire the guys making turns in challenging terrain on skinnies and NNN-BC, I think what they do is awesome!
For a guy that has skied his entire career on plastic, I think the Svartisen would be the currently manufactured leather that would suit me best. I am concerned the sole may be a bit floppy though. I will keep searching E-bay for an older higher cuffed leather that is not too heavy,
Thank you for all the help.

Canna, I think you were talking about the British Army boots. They are sold out in UK 10, which would be US 11. I think they look like a sweet boot. Have you had them out?

gulfofslides

Post by gulfofslides » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:25 pm

I have Scarpa leather in size 11 in case your interested

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I am a size 11 US, my t4's (Scarpa) are 10-10 1/2. I sent you a PM

tinnishill

Post by tinnishill » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Greetings from Scotland. I have been reading the forum for a while,but this is the first time that I thought that I should contribute. I have had occasional dealings with the "snowpatroller" flea-bay shop over the years. He encourages customers to email questions before buying and seems to give straight forward answers. He has turned down my business a couple of times because he thought that what he had to sell didn’t really suit me. There is a bit of English/Italian language struggle, so it pays to keep any correspondence simple.

Regarding leather boots, I use these a lot when away from lift areas. I have had a pair of Alico Doubles (the Dutch Army were selling off lots dirt cheap a few years ago; God knows why), they were OK, moderately stiff, but a bit on the small and narrow side and a bit high maintenance. I am currently using Crispi Svartisen for most things. I also have a pair of the Alico Ski March boots (as issued to most European armies, hence easy to pick up used; they come in two width fittings, which helps) and a pair of Crispi Antartica; these last two types I might use on moorland or forest tours where I wouldn't expect much steepness.

A word of warning about the Crispi Svartisen. I think that they fit very well but they are made in standard Euro sizes, and I have standard Euro size 42 feet. I have a pal who has quite chubby lower legs and he hates them; says that they are far too tight around his calves. On a hut to hut trip on the Hardangervidda I wore the Svartisens while he used plastic Garmont Excursions and we were both happy.

Hope this helps.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 am

Hi Tinnishill, welcome to the forum.

You caught my interest being an owner of both the Svartisen and the Antarctic. Mind elaborating on some of the pros and cons of each relative to each other?

I was talking with my wife about boots hiking last weekend and she was mentioning how much she loves her Svartisens and was thinking of getting another pair as backup, and I told her maybe a pair of Antarctic might be nice.

Thanks in advance.