Meidjo NTN 2.0 review/warning

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Harris

Re: Meidjo NTN 2.0 review/warning

Post by Harris » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:22 am

x-eff wrote:Harris,

How much do you weight / how tall are you ? Ever ripped bindings out of skis before ?
I weigh 175lbs, but that has little to do with it. What has everything to do with it is that I ski very expert terrain, meaning at times I ask a binding for max travel, which the Meidjo is limited (travel) and obviously puts a great deal of faith in just two very closely spaced mount screws) but I have never previously ripped binding screws out of a ski. The Meidjo 2.0 was pushed beyond its structural limit in only a handful of double black runs.

If you look at a Rott NTN, or an Outlaw, or really even any duckbill, active binding, the heal lift stress is dispersed throughout the entire length of substantial base plate and associated mount screws (Outlaw is reinforced by 6 screw well spaced). The Meidjo relies completely on a break formed thinnish piece of stainless rooted to the ski primarily (as far as stress is concerned) by two screws. There seems to be no thought put into how much strength the design asks from the critical section of the mount.

Three things Pierre needs to improve upon.

1) he needs to anchor the "headband" u-shaped rod that attaches the spring box with a solid thick plate that is under the entire fore-body.

2) The toe pin springs need to be much stronger in order to retain the AT toe for telemark stresses. When you turn hard with rear ski heal lift it opens the pins up, releasing the toe, which then in turn immediately causes the second heal spring box to max out, which the second heal cannot in any way practically release from to relieve (think about how that makes mechanical sense). I.E the sudden leverage forces are substantial.

3) He needs to design into it longer spring travel. The Outlaw spring tube is so long it barely clears the heal of the boot, and this was obviously done for upward heal travel, and is a welcome thing when skiing steep bumps and crud.

dnt_upton

Post by dnt_upton » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:06 pm

Harris wrote:What has everything to do with it is that I ski very expert terrain, meaning at times I ask a binding for max travel, which the Meidjo is limited (travel)
I thought it was supposed to have more travel than its NTN counterparts. Not true?

Harris

Post by Harris » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:02 am

More travel than the Rott NTN, but a more obvious limit point than the Outlaw.

Harris

Post by Harris » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:47 pm

MikeK wrote:If you look closely at the load path for those screws, it can be seen you'd really have to go far, far forward to put the load in a direction that would want to pull them out of the ski.

In the picture show, with the boot heel only raised slightly, they are loaded more or less in shear.

Knowing nothing about this mech, here is my thought. Skier is pounding the knee down very far, and most likely hitting some sort of stop (driving the spring solid or whatever) to lock up that rear mech. Then all the load is transferred to those screws, and mostly in tension as bar at the pivot would be very near vertical.

It doesn't seem to me that the part that hold that rubber bushing is too weak, it's perhaps it can't hold itself to the ski!

I think more screws would work but it seems to me the root of the problem is perhaps the binding doesn't have enough motion (or spring travel) for the style of skiing Harris is doing.

You could also look at redesigning that plate to help the front screws carry more load. Hint: that would mean stiffening the plate and moving the screw mounting point of the rear screws to make the pivot more in the center of screw pattern.
Mike, you are absolutely correct (well, mostly, and I'll elaborate in a minute).

The Meidjo has a lot more "duckbill feel" than the Rott Freerides, and that was the ultimate selling point for my use, and this is accomplished by where Pierre located that pivot location. And in my opinion/preference, that is what I really liked about how the binding skied; so to move that location forward would screw up how the binding skis. The Outlaw also has an aft pivot point (compared to the Rott's, which they (Rott) designed to be right at the tip of the toe, which some guys like, but I never did).

The above said, you are correct that the binding maxes-out spring travel and when it does it exerts tremendous upward (tension load) force on the two screws. But here is the thing on that; if you are just stylishly cruising corduroy or intermediate freshie runs (I personally alpine GS turn everything low angle to save my achey knees) and barely lifting the heel you would probably not run into a problem, however on steep bumped-out runs where you are deeling with sudden compressions, as well as routinely asking the skis to shut down and pivot turn 180 quick, you are going to drop knee deep. Knee on the ski deep? No. In old leather gear yes, and that is why we all used to sport kneepads (you could bang down deep and hit the top sheet not because you got splayed-out, and not so much because the boots toe-flexed so freely, but because you had near infinite ankle forward flex on your heel down ski, meaning the deeper the knee dropped, the more the downhill boot forward leaned. At least that was my style--I ski with a fairly tight tele split; my trailing ski is generally always at most a foot aft of the other. So that said, the forward flex of today's boots keeps me pretty upright (low is a relative term then), which I like from a power and knee-fatigue perspective, I don't even feel the need to wear knee pads anymore, and on that, it doesn't take too much to over-flex this binding, hitting the max spring range and yanking upward against the 2 screws. And a note: In the picture I'm hand flexing the boot in the binding, meaning I'm not putting much force on the flex, and the bellows aren't compressing.

22 Designs addresses the issue of travel by making its spring so long that it's containment tube barely clears the boot's heel. I have about 12 days skiing my Outlaws, even spring skiing banger bump runs and have never felt like I maxed out the travel. And as far as how they reconciled load distribution (concerning the afterward pivot point), the Outlaw uses a solid, one-piece heavy steel baseplate, anchored with 6 screws, and the lever load is transferred all the way though that plate aft to forward. In order to rip 22 Designs aft mount out, you would have to bend a rather unbendable 5" base-plate. IMO Pierre needs to make a low flexing, one-piece base plate (like .250" 7075-T6 or an .100"+ 301 1/2 hard (Stainless) that not only shackle anchors the second heel springs, but also sits under the forward part of the binding (in lue of the plastic piece). This would disperse the load far better throughout the mount. A fix I tried to come up with was a 1/4" aluminum plate that I milled to sit on the bracket (where it is held down by the screws, and it would've picked up another hole a half inch aft. That turned out to be a no-starter--the way Pierre designed the springbok it doesn't allow for the required clearance. The only way to strengthen this binding is to disperse the load forward. He also needs to increase the travel.

drflax

Post by drflax » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:49 pm

I had almost the exact same experience with the Meidjo NTN binding. 3 days of easy cruising on groomers, 2 days of great backcountry skiing in deep powder then the binding pulled out of the ski in exactly the same two screws when I was executing a fairly steep, but not that gnarly a turn. The toe DID NOT release. I was lucky to find the spring loaded part that flew some distance and buried itself in the powder. I was not so far forward that I was at the limit of the binding.

Several hours before the binding failed, the spring for the ski brake on the other ski broke. In the initial email exchange with Pierre Mouyade he admitted this had been reported by several others. He said he would send a replacement.

Pierre was initially responsive to my emails about obtaining new parts. He then said the fault was due to my skiing and noted how much his bindings were used by his professional athletes without the problem of the 2 screws pulling out and that no one else had reported it. He promised to send me the part on March 6th and inquired what kind of ski I was on. After I replied that I was on G3 Fever skis, am 67 years old and not that aggressive, I have not heard from him. He did not send the replacement binding part until March 22nd; after I sent 2 emails reminding him do so. He has not sent the replacement ski brake to date. The design problems (or installation problem) I am patient and understanding about. I find the customer service and communication by Pierre to be woefully inadequate and am not patient or understanding about that.

The very experienced ski tech who installed the Meidjo initially was not surprised when I brought the ski in for him to reinstall the Meidjo with the new part. He said the G3 Fever did not have a metal plate for the binding screws to bite into. He was confident that he could reinstall the Meidjo with inserts to reinforce the attachment. I am hopeful he is correct as I really appreciated how the Meidjo 2.0 performed, both up and downhill. The weight reduction is substantial over other releasable tele bindings I am aware of. The ability to parallel ski with reasonable control is a great advantage of NTN. I am curious if Pierre will release a Meidjo 3.0 with a redesigned attachment for 3 screws and a beefier spring for the ski brake.

Harris

Post by Harris » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm 5'11 and weigh 177 lbs. I have never ripped a binding from a ski. I would however say that I'm an aggressive fall line mogul and steepskier who works quick turns. Regardless, the 2.0 Meidjo is just a poorly designed binding especially concerning the toe piece aft 2 screw mount points, which is a real concern in that once you mount it there are so many holes required, none of which will jibe with any other binding I know of, that it makes remounting a different binding in your sweet spot impossible. You basically Swiss cheese your skis into the garbage can. And it's tech toe is also significantly less beefy and undersprung (clamping) than any tech binding on the market. I was able to pry the pin springs open after a few days on them just making a hearty deep turn, and this may have been what actually leverage ripped the 2 screws out. And a note: I'm no beginner at mounting. I didn't' use inserts, nor have I ever needed to, but the mount was well drilled and marine epoxied in.

SanJuanSam

Post by SanJuanSam » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:36 am

I was very curious about these bindings and have followed the evolution of the Meidjo binding. After seeing this I plan to stick with my hammerheads and switchbacks till they explode. Getting deep on a steep is one of the best feelings ever. Last thing I need is to kiss my ski.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

drflax

Post by drflax » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:56 am

As a follow-up to my post, I am remounting the Meidjo to new skis. I recently discovered I had been sent 2.0 Meidjo with 1.0 mounting plates. After trying out Freedom, Freeride and Outlaw I much prefer the way the Meidjo skis. I have requested the new version of the 2 screw rear mounting that is now covered in some kind of Teflon to avoid snow buildup. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't pull out again. I'll update you if it does and/or at the end of the year.

Kew

Post by Kew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:23 am

Offer: Binding Meidjo 2.0 L (binding + crampoon interface + brakes) + Ski Trab Polver 178cm + Dynafit Crampoons 90 - TOTAL PRICE 900 euro, Set from 9/2016, used 7 times, like new one, free shipping in EU. For more information contact me brazdatomas@email.cz
Last edited by Kew on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harris

Post by Harris » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:56 pm

drflax wrote:As a follow-up to my post, I am remounting the Meidjo to new skis. I recently discovered I had been sent 2.0 Meidjo with 1.0 mounting plates. After trying out Freedom, Freeride and Outlaw I much prefer the way the Meidjo skis. I have requested the new version of the 2 screw rear mounting that is now covered in some kind of Teflon to avoid snow buildup. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't pull out again. I'll update you if it does and/or at the end of the year.
The Meidjo definitely is the best skiing NTN I've used as well, but he needs to burl up the pin part of the binding at least to the level of a Dynafit Radical, and then make the entire base plate a single aluminum piece instead of that separate formed stainless piece that anchors the bale. I think that would make the binding untouchable. I should also say that the K2 Pinnacles I mounted them to were first gen and didn't have a metal top sheet. This must've been a issue with the K2s because I bought another pair for my alpine boards and they had a metal top sheet at the bindings. But even on my first pair, subsequent Tele binding mounts using 22Designs have held solid for nearly 100 ski days.