Wolverine

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Wolverine

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Those wolverines are EVERYWHERE!!! :shock:

We we lucky enough to come across one in Laponia.
14256045985_1b1d93c1cf_z.jpg
Followed it for what seemed days. Until we came across its dinner scraps.
14069413250_2a37512839_z.jpg
All he left us what a half skull of baby reindeer. no eyes, no nose, just a little brain to suck on...

---O, and on another occasion, we came across a reindeer foot, dangling 4 meters up a tree!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:37 pm

Great photo Ben! Following wolverine is ton-o-fun.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:17 pm

No cover, no pack, no herd, I guess that is definitely top of the food chain. Tracks sure are distinctive, something I do not think I would forget. Great photos, thank you for sharing!

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:52 pm

athabascae wrote:...His field work was mostly in the Ottawa National Forest in Michigan.
Tom
Right outside the ONF is where I first saw a fisher, in the Porcupine Mtns. It's one of the great spots in the midwest to BC ski and hike. Lots of varied terrain, lakes, old growth forests, etc.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:18 pm

I hear reports every few years of Wolverines sightings in the Northern Adirondacks, but most people in the know (biologists) agree that they are roaming down there during the warmer months and don't actually have any breeding populations south of the St. Lawrence.

First time I saw a Fisher I had no idea what it was. I knew it wasn't a wolverine, because I'd seen detailed pictures of them in books and it looked quite a bit different. It was definitely too big to be a weasel, and in the wrong area to be a mink (also bigger than any mink I've seen).

It was also bounding making those signature print patterns that the large weasels make.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:09 pm

05 28 07_0524.JPG
I found this log on one of my adventures that had been chewed on by a wolverine.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:16 pm

I need to make a correction on the above photo. It actually came from a file named "logs chewed on by beavers" and I think you guys were too nice to call me out on it. I'm still looking for my wolverine pics.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:47 pm

lowangle al wrote:I need to make a correction on the above photo. It actually came from a file named "logs chewed on by beavers" and I think you guys were too nice to call me out on it. I'm still looking for my wolverine pics.
You mean that's not a wolverine's toothpick?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:55 pm

lowangle al wrote:I need to make a correction on the above photo. It actually came from a file named "logs chewed on by beavers" and I think you guys were too nice to call me out on it. I'm still looking for my wolverine pics.
I blame the squirrels.

gulfofslides

Post by gulfofslides » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:02 pm

They are cool to observe but they are nasty snarling creatures when camping in a tent and one is circling your site