Telemark Skimo racing (was: 3-pin Racing)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
iBjorn

Re: 3-pin Racing

Post by iBjorn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Did my last rehearsal before the first rando race of the season, which will be on Tuesday evening the upcoming week. I am not to well prepared this year, lots of work-related assignement have taken a toll on my spare time. Managed to have a climb rate of 2600ft/h during the first lap today which was ok, but was slow in transitions and lost speed dramatically on later laps - so its going to be tough tuesday.

The race on Tuesday will also probably be my last race with 3-pins and ultralight skimo skis, I will remount the Atomic UL65 race skis with traditional rando race binding after the race - but dont worry I am not going to give up racing with free heels. The skimo skis are to shattery and unstable for 3-pin with low boots - I also have problem with them coming in to oscillation when going downhill, draining a lot of energy. My next tele race skis will be 170cm Atomic Backland 78 with simple 3-pins, since they are wider I am able to mount the binding without a riser - which will save weight, so they will end up at approx. 1350 grams each compared to the 3-pin/UL65 set-up which is about 1030 gram with the current hammerheels.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 pm

The 2 hour race went fairly well, the track was different this year, slightly higher, but still very steep and icy, and no switchback in the steep section. This year I also brought a pair of nylon skins - which I used in the race. I got better flow with nylon skins in the steep section, but I was slower in the transitions this year. Partly since I had to use protective sheet on the skins due to the adhesive glue, and partly due less rehearsal on transitions before the race. The results have not been published yet, but I guess I ended up fairly in the middle. Ended up at 15 laps, the winner did 25 during the 2 hour. I was the fastest tele skier, but unfortunatly we were only two this year (I think it was 5 or 6 last year, and some guys going AT with scarpa tele boots). So telemark seems to soon be extinct from this sport, sadly. Furthermore, almost all AT’rs had race gear this year.

Edit: the race report was published, I ended up in place 11 of 32.
Last edited by iBjorn on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:32 am

DSC_0747.JPG
Completed my second Scottish Skimo race of the season - Glencoe Mountain & British Championships. 8k and 760m climb. First part of the descent a bit tricky - steep red run, polished smooth in centre, with a side camber. I was 46 out of 50, though as a 'senior vet' 2 out of 2. 1hr 37m, the winner in 45m!
F1 boots, Trab Lirace skis, tech toe / leaf spring binding (see my previous posts), did well, though now find I mounted the binding assuming it was boot centre on the ski, it is in fact the toe line! Still skied pretty well, but will be correct for next outing.
DSC_0761.JPG

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:28 am

Way to go Mark. Was that race in Scottland? I didn't think they had mountains like that.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:55 am

wow, Scotland is beautiful! What is that huge peak complex in the background?
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Looks a little cold not to wear something under a kilt ;)

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Beautiful pictures and great work Mark, I follow your progress both with the bindings and your skimo racing with great interest!

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Great on a good day.
Ben Nevis is the big one.
Kilts worn at midsummer slide, though not me as I am an import!

telemarkmark

Post by telemarkmark » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:22 pm

Races organised by Skimo Scotland. They have a website, and Facebook, though British Ski Mountaineering Racing is the go to Facebook page. British Backcountry if you wish to see general off piste skiing. Hampshire Frost for some amazing backcountry ski photos.

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:04 pm

Same reaction here: Scotland, really? I showed my wife, too. Similar surprise. And I've walked up Ben Nevis once mid-summer with her and once in the fall back in the...actually if I say which decade I risk being written off as somebody's great-grandfather. I was a wee bair'n back then and am now not even a grandpa yet. Anyway, I love the photos, and those mountains look much more impressive and "high alpine" viewed in the winter. Makes me want to make a return visit to the land of my roots. Been far too long. Both my parents are from Aberdeen, post-war immigrants to Canada, and my mom is still living independently, turning 93 in a month. Thanks for sharing the Scottish-skimo-tele perspective. A pretty unique one, it seems. Just you, him, and the other guy. Speaking of things Scottish, I'm a rowee-maker ("butteries", "morning rolls") and this winter rowees have been a power-source of my skiing pursuits. ;) Any familiarity with rowees on your end? Since our family are "transplants" in Canada, the elusive rowee long ago attained legend status in our family. Couldn't find them anywhere, not even in so-called Scottish bakeries. In spite of a big Scottish population in Canada, they (rowees) never took root there. Had to learn to make them myself. Maybe like telemark bindings in the future. If you want 'em, you gotta make your own. Telemarkmark, ever loaded up on rowees before a race? Actually, doing so might not even be legal...