Telemark Skimo racing (was: 3-pin Racing)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
anemic

Re: 3-pin Racing

Post by anemic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:44 am

Fascinating race report - thanks for sharing. Sounds like a cool event format. Are you thinking of adding a full-nylon race skin to your collection?
Call it Nordic Freeride

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am

I will recut an old pair of 70mm BD Ascensions whom I always hated due to their lack of glide. Since I never liked them (until now...) I have been close to throwing them away, glad I didn't.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 pm

>>>*3-pins are one of the most (the most?) efficient bindings in the transitions of a skimo race

*ahem* this is what I always say in the numerous NNNBC discussion. thanks for this report! I've been wondering about using light tele/"XCD" stuff in a skimo race for the last couple years. The next step would be to use light nordic boots like Crispi Antarctic, with the more comfortable ankle flex you'd practically be running up the hills. There would be more skidding turns and less control on the way down of course.

to that end, what about something like a 200cm E109 or Asnes ski with integrated kicker skins. If you could get away with using half-skins on mellower climbs it would be a huge gain over people with full skins, the transition would be faster too.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Well, last spring I participated in two cross-country races (with 3-pins and T4s), one 18km and one 33km. The shorter race I used Volkl Qaniks lo-fat skis with Telebulldogs and Madshus Inteligrip skins (see the review of them in the review section) and at the 33km race I used 200cm E99, Rottefella ST and 35mm Easyskins. They are very fast skins at flat sections, and I do love both of them. I have a pair of Intelligrips with race tip attachments for my race skis, I am experimenting with them now, but so far, I am not to sure about using them on skimo races. Skimo races are usually too steep, and each time a skin slips, you loose rhythm, balance and a massive amount of energy. The slips of the skins nearly killed me yesterday…

I have also tested the E99 on skimo laps with full length skins, I will report more later about my experience of both short skins and also the E99 as skimo laps ski.

anemic

Post by anemic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 pm

iBjorn wrote:I will recut an old pair of 70mm BD Ascensions whom I always hated due to their lack of glide. Since I never liked them (until now...) I have been close to throwing them away, glad I didn't.
Ah yes. Hard won wisdom! I have a buddy in Tahoe. I asked him about his skin preferences after I learned about the huge speed difference of mohair. He said he just sticks with the tried and true orange BDs because of their grip. He said sometimes the skin track is shiny, steep and has a nearby feature of consequence. In these cases one does not wish for more speed.

I think it makes sense to have a selection of materials and sizes. Have fun!
Call it Nordic Freeride

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Yep, I learned my lesson. The hard way. To my defence I can add that I am used to skiing/skinning in very rural area of northern Sweden, where previous tracks did hardly exists, and there was long sections with low angle skinning to the powder. Hence my love for gliding skins. If I encountered steep icy conditions, it was rarely a problem - either take another way, or switch to crampons on the boots instead of skis...this time at the race I did not have any option, and it was painful...

Lessons learned:
-In skimo, you don't need lots of skis, just lots of skins. My bad I didn't believe the full consequences of this until yesterday...

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm

most of the skimo races in the east are on ski areas, so I guess the climbs are more like stairways, not rolling hills. For some reason the Intelligrip skins are not sold in the US which is too bad.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Are LiteDogz still available? I don't see them offered anywhere.

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:12 pm

I think I got the last LiteDogz from BurntMnt, the closest thing you get today is the Spike 3-pin, about 400 grams without ski brake (ski brakes can be added). They sell Bulldog bindings through a reseller now, see more at http://burntmtn.com

Anyone knows if Louis is still developing bindings?

iBjorn

Post by iBjorn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:45 am

Cannatonic wrote: For some reason the Intelligrip skins are not sold in the US which is too bad.
A decent alternative to Intelligrips is to take a well-worned mohair skin and cut it down to a width of only 20-25mm. It will glide well and provide enough traction for K&G as long as you are on more packed/old snow.