Tele or Alpine turns in tight trees?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Re: Tele or Alpine turns in tight trees?

Post by Raventele » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Really? Well we often have to ski up the trees to get down the mountains! :lol:
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Ron has some pictures.....The Northeast Fields......totally beautiful natural hardwood skiing....Jonny have been skiing this area since the early 70's.....The 'Boys" know where the goods are around here....On the other hand we know tight....But given tight or open we will go open any time....and it took time to find these treasures....On one mountain range I can use a long range lens....in the trees......how open is that????? Then, other ranges only wide angle....Gotta say the boys were blowing it up last Sunday....Supposed to get 8-12 this Friday....Will see, but it will open up tons.... On little Mountain we can get about 1600 verts of just wild skiing, total, but mostly around 1000 up there and then repeat on a differen slope....Pretty much unlimited, on a little mountain....A couple of boarders and about the same number of skiers have found it.....they follow our tracks then try to beat us there....Friday will be a race to the goods.....I don't plan on losing!!!! TM

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:28 pm

I dunno, LJ says they have to split the trees to ski where he is!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Saint Jocko

Post by Saint Jocko » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:21 am

LoveJohnny is right. In Northern Minnesota where I lived a machete would be your best tool for hacking through the underbrush. I once crossed the border into Ontario, Canada, and the situation got even worse. About the only way to get around in that part of Ontario would have been to ski a frozen stream, as the forest was almost impassable. I remember the blackflie bites I got in that part of Canada in August. Summer or winter it had to be a tough place to travel in. The underbrush was the thickest I have ever seen, making an Arkansas or Louisiana delta swamp look tame by comparison.

Teleman

Post by Teleman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:03 am

Damn...that's tight....We started in Old Growth hardwood forest....Big really big trees....Lower down on the hill tall trees, really tall trees....Up on the top big circumferences' no height....all branches conformed to some unwritten natural law....grow higher and die....gigantic crowns...NO UNDERGROWTH.....gigantic ferns....dark....until....snow and no leaves.....Totally awesome gladded skiing....just a memory now....but that man created whip world is again growing....might be some openings there....Telekid..."I'll never ski this again"....but Telesven and I will....I mean it's where skinnies shine....they deflect...they squeeze through....they slice....LJ...Guides on a trip like that are waaaay to wide...have seen TELEKING humiliated up there, a rare thing....he is heading down with speed....we can out whip ski anybody....hands up elbows out....tight tele stance...whips aren't gonna tickle our...er...he hits a few...deflects but they keep closing in....a wave of whips as the king uses shoulders to block....he twists right then left...the whips don't back off...tears of laughter on my cheeks....he is spun right then taken down in a summersault....WHIPPED!!!! We know whips....people ask why our hands are up...elbows out....now you know...TM

bogon

Post by bogon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:25 am

Good stuff indeed, Teleman.
Raventele, last photo seems tighter.

I wish Carpathian woods were obeying that rule for lower branches... But... Hands help a lot.
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:49 am

Yea Bogo, if it got any tighter, it would be VERY difficult or impossible to ski..
And I think the topic is skiing tight trees...though I find the prospect
of knocking my way through with a machete or bow saw amusing enough , I guess..
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There are much more open places to ski here --Schweitzer e.g. is really great for open trees ,
but beware those trees can swallow you!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:01 am

Yesterday's best line... Not bad at all, but the machete would have been useful...
IMG_0491.JPG
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:08 am

:lol: :lol:

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:11 am

Yeah!! This is what skiing is all about here!!!
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."