On piste carving ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
colinstone

On piste carving ski

Post by colinstone » Fri May 06, 2016 5:09 am

No sure if this Q is a little out of place on this forum, but here goes anyway.

I'm looking for an on piste carving ski for GS and longer turn racing. Needs to be without bindings so I can mount NTN telemark bindings. Length - interesting. In previous long turn races I've used 195cm Sal Lab 2v, but probably too long for GS. So as a compromise I guess around the same length as my current all mountain ski at 177cm? Perhaps 175cm would do?

My plan is to put quiver killer inserts into both ski sets and change over bindings when I want to.

Would welcome some thoughts.
Telemark. The only reason to go down on one knee.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: On piste carving ski

Post by Johnny » Sat May 07, 2016 7:27 am

I had 4 pairs of Salomons 2V's... With both 7TM and NTN... I broke them all... But to me, they are just THE best "fast" tele skis on the planet... I had other WC GS skis, Rossi, Fischer, Dynastar etc... Salomon 2V's are my all-time favorites...

Perfect length depends on your taste, weight and height... I'm 6' 160lbs and if I recall, I had them in 182cm and 186cm and they were just puuuuurfect....!

Funny enough, even if they are super stiff, they're super fun in deep bumps too... Guess I'm a GS ski kind of guy...

I switched to SL skis last season to slow down a bit... Because I'm old now and I don't want to ski at eye-watering speeds anymore... (I'm phobic about ruining my knees and having to spend a season without skiing...: ) But you can be sure that if I stumble upon a pair of 2Vs again, I'll buy them in a heartbeat... And so should you... 8-)

Just curious... Why would you wanna change bindings on a GS ski? Between NTN and what?
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

oggopoggo

Post by oggopoggo » Sun May 08, 2016 2:05 am

There's a couple masters GS skis to consider since FIS increased radius regulations. Salomon X Race which has a 17m sidecut radius in 175cm and the Rossi Hero Master which is 18m in 175cm.

colinstone

Post by colinstone » Mon May 09, 2016 7:14 am

>Just curious... Why would you wanna change bindings on a GS ski? Between NTN and what?

No - to share NTN bindings on Salomon Q90 all mountain to a more piste orientated ski.

colinstone

Post by colinstone » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:54 am

Thanks for the info.
Could find any 2V, but did find Kniessl Red Star RC, which are flat.
Now I'm thinking of making riser plates as the Freedom bindings sit low on the ski.
Was considering 10mm polyethylene sheet?
What does any one else use?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:48 am

I use this on all my racing skis... Cheap and indestructible... 8-)

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:10 am

LoveJohnny wrote:I use this on all my racing skis... Cheap and indestructible... 8-)
What, a potato?

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:42 pm

No, the potato is just delicious (especially when it is fried and covered in gravy and cheese curds)... that must be a Ginsu knife.

colinstone

Post by colinstone » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:34 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:I use this on all my racing skis... Cheap and indestructible... 8-)

Brilliant use of a chopping board. Would a 20mm riser be about right with NTN Freedom?