Leather and skiless, the hiking thread.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
MikeK

Re: Leather and skiless, the hiking thread.

Post by MikeK » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:59 am

Haha - for NY 3000' is high elevation :shock:

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:46 pm

MikeK wrote:As much as I like hiking and paddling, biking seems to be my best bang for the buck in terms of fitness. And biking on the road or bike paths doesn't seem to be enough unless you ride for hours. Nothing seems to have the intensity of mountain biking. I'm really liking it because I can do it 3, 4, 5 times a week, after work. And I don't have to leave town to get some good stuff.

I really think hiking is probably the best for skiing, but you have to hike a lot of mileage and a lot of vert to keep in good shape. MTB keeps the legs, arms, chest and core strong - but doesn't keep those stability leg muscles strong. Also doesn't even come close to using the muscles you use for paddling... I can't think of anything but paddling which uses those. The cardio is really, really good thoug
When I had time to MTB I thought it was a good way to get into shape for skiing.

I always felt that I got a better workout biking than skiing also and the reason being that you need to keep your speed up when climbing to stay upright, not so with skiing.

I think skiing and paddling use the same upper body muscles, triceps, chest and lats.

Paddling can be a good exersize but you have to make it a point to make it a workout. It's too easy to take it easy and not get your heart rate up. Last fall I paddled every day for about two months, it was the only exersize I did and when ski season started I felt I was in pretty good shape. I mostly paddled standing up which is good for the legs and really good for your core.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:59 pm

If I paddle solo, I usually get a really good workout. Especially if you get out on a big, windy lake... or going up river.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Roller skiing is a good exercise for upper body (when double poling) and core muscles.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 am

MTB is great for keeping some aerobic/core fitness, but at the start of every ski season, much to my chagrin, my legs are weak and sore. Cycling uses leg muscles differently than skiing. Hiking is much better for ski season prep for leg muscles.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:18 pm

I had a Nordic Track for a short time. I used to think those things were shit back in the day... well guess what? They still are.

They actually do tire you out. Is it like skiing? Not really. It is hard to stay up and keep your balance but it really doesn't utilize those stability muscles you use when skiing. Plus the ropes for poles don't even come close to simulating poling.

Probably the closest thing to poling other than roller skiing would be poling with canoe.

mugglesport

Post by mugglesport » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:03 pm

Unsatisfied with simply taking the fun out of rowing, Concept2 has also developed a device that takes the fun out of skiing! http://www.concept2.com/skierg

Seriously though, while I love biking and hiking, I've gotten the best results with strength and intensity training. Last summer I started getting serious about weight lifting (including squats 2-3 times per week) and while I didn't have massive increases in strength or muscle size, I certainly got stronger. Of course there are muscles that really only get used when skiing, but otherwise my alpine season was great and the only fatigue I ran into was largely due to the inherent discomfort of alpine boots. I also saw some good results with intensity activities like rowing/erging and hill sprints.

Since the middle of spring, I fell off the wagon and while I've been doing tons of walking and biking I haven't intentionally exercised in months. Better get back at it...

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:13 pm

I love hiking and single-track biking, but for getting fit nothing beats trail running. YMMV.

Tom

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:08 pm

athabascae wrote:I love hiking and single-track biking, but for getting fit nothing beats trail running. YMMV.

Tom
This is probably true, but I don't think my knees would like it.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:19 pm

MikeK wrote:This is probably true, but I don't think my knees would like it.
Mine sure don't.