Let's see your 16-17 quiver!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
satsuma

Re: Let's see your 16-17 quiver!

Post by satsuma » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 pm

MikeK wrote:
satsuma wrote: BD Polar Star 200 72-54-62 NNN-BC (old single camber telemark ski ) (haven't used these yet, maybe for practicing turns this year )
Those might be fun. What boots are you using for NNN-BC?
Alpina BC-1550

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:42 am

anrothar wrote: In hand, just giving them a squeeze test, they're remarkably similar to my gf's Glittertinds. Noticeable difference is that they have a longer wax pocket once the first camber is compressed out of them. They're gorgeous skis, and I have no doubt I'll love how they ski, but had I known that going in, I probably would have just bought waxable Glittertinds for myself locally. Especially with how disappointed I was in the lack of glide with the nylon skinlock, though I still think they'll get faster with some miles on them and like them better than the BD option. As it is now, I'll be carrying Madshus' Intelligrip skin for difficult waxing conditions and saving the skinlock for steeper/longer climbs.
Interesting- what were you hoping would be different in the flex pattern of the Gamme 54- versus the Glitt?
anrothar wrote: I'll be interested to see how similarly I feel about that. My main focus is and always has been distance, so the faster straight line speed and slightly more float(?) might give the Combats a significant edge for me.
Although the Asnes Combat USGI is significantly heavier than the Eon- I can testify to the following:
1) The Combat is MUCH stiffer and responsive and resistant underfoot- much more effective kick and glide than the Eon.
2) The extra width underfoot, coupled with the stiffer flex pattern, causes the Combat to offer significantly better flotation than the Eon.
3) I personally find- in a XC context- that the Combat's stiff, broad, elongated and raised tip breaks trail more efficiently than the soft, open, low profile tip of the Eon.
4) The combination of soft, smooth flex, open tips, and significant sidecut make the Eon much easier to turn than the Combat.
5) The soft, open tip of the Eon facilitates uphill climbing in fresh snow, but it's poor flotation works against it if the snow is deep. The stiff tip of the Combat obviously prevents tip rise when climbing. But the second camber in the Combat is not extreme- I find it easy to engage the wax pocket on the Combat, for such a stiff ski.

IME/IMO- to summarize:

The Asnes Combat USGI is a backcountry cross-country ski.

The Madshus Eon to me is a hybrid ski with compromises at both ends of the cross-country/down-hill spectrum.

So- if your focus is distance, then I predict you will be surprised by how much faster the Combat is- versus the Eon- in a cross-country context
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:47 am

lilcliffy wrote: Interesting- what were you hoping would be different in the flex pattern of the Gamme 54- versus the Glitt?

I hadn't flexed a set of Glittertinds in hand before ordering the Gamme. I was expecting a stronger wax pocket. I was surprised by how strong the second camber on the Glittertind is -in hand-. My impressions are based solely on hand flexing them though, so I might be thoroughly pleased with how well they(Gamme) hold wax on hardpacked snow in use. Based on my selection of skis, I would be on the MR48, which has a very stiff but low second camber, for expected hardpack, but the Gamme would inevitably see time on hardpack just due to the variety of conditions you encounter in a long distance tour. I was expecting the Gamme to have as stiff of a second camber as the MR48, but be a wider ski. It might be a nonissue.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks for the info anrother!

How are the tips and tails compared to the Glittertind? Stiffer I would hope/suspect...

PS The Glitt does have a strong second camber. I've heard people call it a camber and a half ski, and then really wondered what that term meant to them.

To me, it's every bit a double cambered XC ski with more sidecut and soft tips and tails. Unfortunately that kind of balance doesn't necessarily make it a great dh performer on harder snow IMO. It tours wonderfully on that or in it's own track, and does turn well enough in 3D snow where you can get the tips and tails flexing, but those two conditions are not usually mutual.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:01 pm

I wonder how a ski like the Asnes Amundsen would compare to the Glitt/Gamme54 in terms of your skiing context.

The Amundsen is available in both a touring camber-flex (Amundsen BC) and an expedition/heavy-load camber-flex (Amundsen Fram BC).

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:23 pm

The 88 got nixed?!? GTFO

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:43 pm

Woodserson wrote:The 88 got nixed?!? GTFO
It's now in the "Off-Track Cruising" line: the "Excursion 88".

S-78 is now the "Traverse 78" and they have dropped the 199cm.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:46 pm

I see, Excursion 88... Same ski, different name then. The 78 feels the same under both names. Actually, I think mine are Excursions come to think about it. I like them.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Hey Woods-

You have the S-98 and S-88 don't you?

What do you think about the pros/cons of both skis in terms of flex/camber and sidecut?

Very interesting how much less sidecut there is on the S-88- versus the S-98...

I like the profile of the 88 from a XCd perspective. If they made a S-88 in a XC length- say 205-210cm- it would be an awesome midwidth distance-oriented ski for fresh snow.

Care to compare them in a review?

anrothar

Post by anrothar » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:15 pm

MikeK wrote:Thanks for the info anrother!

How are the tips and tails compared to the Glittertind? Stiffer I would hope/suspect...

PS The Glitt does have a strong second camber. I've heard people call it a camber and a half ski, and then really wondered what that term meant to them.

To me, it's every bit a double cambered XC ski with more sidecut and soft tips and tails. Unfortunately that kind of balance doesn't necessarily make it a great dh performer on harder snow IMO. It tours wonderfully on that or in it's own track, and does turn well enough in 3D snow where you can get the tips and tails flexing, but those two conditions are not usually mutual.
On both Gamme and Glitter, the tips rise noticeably when the first camber is compressed out of them. The Gamme is a little bit stiffer in the first camber. Profile and tip shape are incredibly similar. I think the biggest difference will be in durability. The Gamme seems a little stouter and has Asnes' thicker metal edges.